Troll Lobber and Warrior Profiles

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Telaron

Re: Troll Lobber and Warrior Profiles

Post by Telaron »

Jetrel wrote:Your designs for the bats would be excellent. Likewise your designs for the soulless are great.
Agreed. I love your bat designs. The undead also look really cool. The only thing I see that is rather odd is that the wolf in the foreground looks like a barking dog. :roll:

BTW, welcome to the forums. :D
Check out the FOSS game Sumwars
Wish I had more time for composing music...
JWL

Post by JWL »

catwhowalksbyhimself wrote: While that's all quite true, portraits are used heavily for dialogue in campaigns, and such dialogue usually takes place out of active combat. It would be pretty strange if a unit in the story, or example, was offering friendship, but the portrait players see doing the talking is in the middle of a vicious attack.
Nightguaunt, Death Knight, Orc Assassin, Orc Warrior, Orc Warlord, Naga Fighter, Triton, Peasant, Mage-Arch Male, Javelineer, General, Footpad, Human Female Assassin, Ulfserker, Dwarf Fighter, Dragonguard and Drake Fighter.

But you’re right. Sometime I have to remind tell my friends, “Yo, Chill. Put that halberd down and out of my face.” And they’re like, “Nah man. What if some chick slaps me a note saying ‘Give me your cash. I have a gun.’ I gotta be ready for that <expletive>, bro.”

Humor aside…
troll_sketch3.jpg
An attempt to be more compatible with the existing Troll illustrations. Proportions might be off, cause I couldn’t hire a troll model on the last minute. Ya gotta call days in advance cause they’re a rare race ever since the Great War…
boru wrote:And the wolf riders looks like some demented children's-book illustration.
Funny you said that. I'm trying to get into that field. Yeah, the wolf riders and wose were sample images. I had no intention in making them into finishes, but thanks.
Dread and Blood bats commission?... Sweeeeeeeeet.

BTW... Why are they called Wose as apposed to, oh iono.... Ents or Trents? What culture is that name from?
Last edited by JWL on July 24th, 2010, 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

since nobody beat me to it...
Ok, obviously you know what your doing and your first try is close enough to mainline style to show that you'll be able to use that style with little practice. I'll give you a quick tour of our Art Community so you don't get lost.

Basically our forums are built around forum titles ( written under the people names, as you can see with my own)

* No title (or not art related title) => Did nothing with regard to art
* Art Contributors => Have contributed artwork to the mainline game
* Art Developers => The 'art staff', have the power to add artwork to the mainline game, and can generally be relied upon for good critique
* Portrait Director (kitty and LordBob) => Gives go/no-go to portrait contributions
* Terrain Art Director (eleazar) => Gives go/no-go for terrain contribution
* (deputy) Art Director (jetrel,thespaceinvader) => Gives the go/no-go to contributions

It is important for you to understand that distinction, because people with no art knowledge may not give comment and critique as well as people with art knowledge. If you disagree with a comment from someone with no title, just don't follow the advice.

You should consider comments from art contributors and art developers as comments coming from knowledgeable people, and worth considering... Of course, your art is yours and you are free to not follow the advice, but you should consider them. One thing to be aware of is that this forum is dedicated to getting artwork ready for the mainline game. We treat your work realistically - we're not going to praise it just because you posted it here. Please don't take offence at suggestions to improve your work - if you're looking for blind praise, you're in the wrong place.

Jetryl, kitty, and the Art Developers usually have very clear comments which tell if a change is needed to get something into mainline or just a suggestion to improve. These people will have the final say on whether something goes into the mainline game or not.

If you try to do a portrait for a specific character (from a campaign for example) you should try to contact the campaign author first and try to post your linework as soon as possible (even if it's just a scanned sheet of paper) That's because the original author might have a particular "vision" on his character and having early feedback will usually be good for everybody

The part about submiting your work "early and often" is a good advice even if your not drawing a campaign character, by the way....

Now the forums...

We have three art related forums:
* "Art contributions" is for pieces of art intended for mainline
* "Art workshop" is for pieces for user made content, and for users who are posting for critique to help to develop their skills.
* "Art development" is limited to people with an art title. Some artists don't like having their work openly criticised, and post there instead of the open forums.

One last point...

All wesnoth contributions are made under the GPL. I am not good at explaining legalese, but you should read it since your work have high chances of being mainlined at some point...

Good luck with the portrait, it looks great.
As far as wose are concerned, IIRC it's a traditional name for tree spirits in german culture (could be wrong, the name was decided a long time ago) we don't call them ents for obvious copyright reasons...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

JWL wrote:Dread and Blood bats commission?... Sweeeeeeeeet.
:augh: Just so we're clear, the vast majority of stuff that has gone into wesnoth is NOT commissioned. It's contributed for free, by the community. I have yet to make a dime off this project, and I've done something like half of the sprites. Probably a few man-years of work, on my part. We do it simply because we like the game and want it to succeed (and also because it's an outlet for our work besides just being in a portfolio).

We've recently started doing a very limited set of commissions, but we can't pay you for this. Sorry.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

Nightguaunt, Death Knight, Orc Assassin, Orc Warrior, Orc Warlord, Naga Fighter, Triton, Peasant, Mage-Arch Male, Javelineer, General, Footpad, Human Female Assassin, Ulfserker, Dwarf Fighter, Dragonguard and Drake Fighter.
All example of characters HOLDING weapons, not actively USING them.

In any case, you get the point, and your sketches are quite nice, so I will back away now.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Hmm. Perhaps I'm imaging holding a weapon in the presence of others in modern terms (a criminal offense) and you in ancient times (a-okay). I call truce.

Yeah, I know, no $. The word commission doesn't necessarily mean payment in exchange of work. It mainly refers to one's commitment to do something.

If ya haven't noticed yet, I'm a defensive jerk. Don't mind me.
baconfoot

Post by baconfoot »

Speedbrain wrote:I'm sure there will be many UMC authors who would love to use your skills.
JWL, you are absolutely amazing! While it is true that your work isn't mainline style, it really doesn't matter to me, talent is talent.
Anyways, I am working on a campain as a side project to keep me sane in college (studying to be a game programer), and I would LOVE for you to do the artwork for me. However, being a college student, all of my money is going to keeping me fed, so I can't even hint at any payment for your work... sorry. But if you want to do it, just let me know. Keep up the good work. :wink:
baconfoot

Post by baconfoot »

For some reason, the site is not letting me send you messages... :x but I shall not let that stop me. below is what I WANTED to send you.

JWL,
Haha... don't worry about the delay. I'm a wee bit flattered myself that you even took the time to reply to me. Unfortunately, I am just I simple coder, so I'd need someone to do the sprites and animations for the new units. I recently lost my flash drive that contained the entirty of my WML coding thus far (I'm not making excuses, some people would rather take things that don't belong to them than do the right thing), but I will not let that get me down. I shall rebuild and prosper.
Ok, let's get down to the busy-ness... what exactly do you mean by "samples"? Are you asking me to send you some of my work? If so, hang tight for about a week or so, and I'll hash out a half a dozen new units (or just two units that go to lvl 3... which I guess is six) and a sample scenario for you to look over. Please keep in mind that I am still fairly new at this, so don't hate me if my coding is a little buggy, I'm just trying to see if the programing language will do what I want it to.

Arigato,
Baconfoot