Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
rhyging5
Art Contributor

strike fx

Post by rhyging5 »

Hi everybody,

Take a look on this little fx. I Think it can works fine as a stroke's redundance. Note that there are two versions. I think the second can be used when the stroke is specialy hard. Time for replies....
Attachments
strikefx2.gif
strikefx2.gif (7.51 KiB) Viewed 4764 times
strikefx1.gif
strikefx1.gif (5.46 KiB) Viewed 4764 times
dipseydoodle

Re: strike fx

Post by dipseydoodle »

Looks good but I don't know if it looks rite there.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I'd need to see it in-game, I think. It looks promising, though.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

Could this effect be shown upon impact, for example as an arrow reaches and hits the target?

Don't know much animation WML, so maybe it isn't possible.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

If we want to have impact animations like that (which I think is an ok idea), I'd suggest making one for each damage type.

It'd need some new engine support though (no, don't post to say that we have damage type animation filters, that's irrelevant).
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

zookeeper wrote:If we want to have impact animations like that (which I think is an ok idea), I'd suggest making one for each damage type.
Right, someone can do a list of all the kind of attacks ?
Kraus

Post by Kraus »

rhyging5 wrote:
zookeeper wrote:If we want to have impact animations like that (which I think is an ok idea), I'd suggest making one for each damage type.
Right, someone can do a list of all the kind of attacks ?
These would be

Blade (slashing damage)
Crush (crushing damage and unarmed)
Pierce (spears and arrows)

for physical damage and

Arcane
Fire
Cold

for magical attacks.
"Oh, to the hades with the manners - he's a complete [censored], and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De'Arnise
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Crush is not the correct term. Impact is. It represents hammers, clubs, fists, staves, anything that you hit with as opposed to stabbing or slashing.

But it's worth bearing in mind that those types can encompass some slightly unusual attacks - impact includes such attacks as entangling vines and bolas. Pierce also includes thunderstick shots. Blade also includes animal bites.

And it's simplistic to say that fire and cold are only magic attacks. Fire is also seen in arrows and drake fire breath, for instance. Cold and arcane are mainly magical, however.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Monroid

Post by Monroid »

I still think damage based on screams or sonic waves should count as Piercing damage rather than Cold
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Good for you. The only time it comes up in mainline is Ghosts, and cold is thematically more appropriate for them. Plus, balance would be heavily affected by them having pierce damage. Not to mention that this really isn't the place for such discussions.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

engine animation guy, reporting for duty....

i'm not sure what engine side support you need, and yes, we do have attack type filter support, this could be incorporated as a new frame in the defensive animation or as a new frame in the attack animation (filtering on both hit and damage type for defensive, filtering on hit for offensive)

this depends mainly if you want the placement to depend on the sprite being hit or on the sprite attacking. Whatever looks better.
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

thespaceinvader wrote:Crush is not the correct term. Impact is. It represents hammers, clubs, fists, staves, anything that you hit with as opposed to stabbing or slashing.

But it's worth bearing in mind that those types can encompass some slightly unusual attacks - impact includes such attacks as entangling vines and bolas. Pierce also includes thunderstick shots. Blade also includes animal bites.

And it's simplistic to say that fire and cold are only magic attacks. Fire is also seen in arrows and drake fire breath, for instance. Cold and arcane are mainly magical, however.
Perhaps it's best to start with basic/generic animations for Slash, Impact, and Pierce damage, then move on to special permutations (as I imagine that cold/fire/arcane require more by way of permutations).

I would also imagine that certain "hit" effects are already covered by present animations; the mage's fireball has one, as does the Shaman's entangle, and Drake Breath / Thunderstick Blast probably covers the affected unit in such a way as to make a separate "hit" animation unnecessary.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

The one you have done (looking great) looks like it would be well suited for slashing damage as I assume would be the idea. Looks like it would work for both swords and claws and even bites. An impact animation would naturally probably be best with an ring shaped shock wave. Piercing though... Perhaps a beam penetrating through an imaginary wall or something. Or a beam hitting a point and exploding in several straight lines.
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Boucman wrote:engine animation guy, reporting for duty....
You have a lot of hats these days ;)

Boucman wrote:i'm not sure what engine side support you need, and yes, we do have attack type filter support, this could be incorporated as a new frame in the defensive animation or as a new frame in the attack animation (filtering on both hit and damage type for defensive, filtering on hit for offensive)

this depends mainly if you want the placement to depend on the sprite being hit or on the sprite attacking. Whatever looks better.
From the standpoint of results, i think we would want these controlled by the attacking unit's WML. We might have standard FX, but some attacking units be better opting out. As sangel says, some of the animations (like a fire mage's blast) are such that an additional effect would be redundant. And surely if we get an impact FX, someone is later going to come along and want to make a bigger FX for use with a L3 troll or Wose's impact attack.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

Well, I didn't intend it to be "added by the engine" but "integrated in the WML of existing animations" as a new frame, so it would be added one attack at the time on the ones where you think it's needed....
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim