Lavender Terrain

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Daxion

Lavender Terrain

Post by Daxion »

Not sure if this is the right forum for this.
When playing Legend of Wesmere (14 Human Alliance), I thought (don't know why though) those large field really should be lavender fields. Would give the scenario a nice touch.
Following the wesnoth tradition of trying to put the art where your mouth is, I tried to come up with a suitable terrain.
It's really just a very quick and dirty job using gimp and the farm-veg-spring tile, which also is the limit of my artistic skill with gimp.
Looking at it a second time, I see that there is plenty of room for improvement (gives me the impression of looking at an old monitor). If you people think it's worth it, I'll try to get this usable
Attachments
lavender.zip
(47.52 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
test.png
test.png (25.59 KiB) Viewed 5415 times
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Re: Lavender Terrain

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

For one thing, your magenta is too saturated. Also, you should try to bring out the shape of the rows better (in your reference it's quite smooth and regular).
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Christheturtle

Post by Christheturtle »

I like the idea of having different fields such as lavender, poppys, corn etcetera.
www.turtlenetworking.co.uk - 25% completed. Adding more servers. Looking for volunteers.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Christheturtle wrote:I like the idea of having different fields such as lavender, poppys, corn etcetera.
I'm all for having these things too. And when appropriate seasonal variations.

This is a good first attempt, but i think it still needs work.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Christheturtle

Post by Christheturtle »

Eleazar wrote:And when appropriate seasonal variations.
Agreed.
www.turtlenetworking.co.uk - 25% completed. Adding more servers. Looking for volunteers.
Daxion

Post by Daxion »

Second try.

I've tried to smooth the rows a bit. The "noise" is repetative (at least I see some sort of pattern there). Once I'm (that is you are) satisfied with the general look I'll work on that.

A few references:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c280/ ... vender.jpg
http://www.originalpaintings.com/images ... mm_425.jpg
http://pro-photographers.co.uk/blog/wp- ... ld-011.jpg
http://www.naturaledgeimages.com/galler ... /NE061.jpg

I do have my doubts that they actually planted lavender in such rows, but oh well, they look so nice.
Attachments
zweiter.png
zweiter.png (36.43 KiB) Viewed 5317 times
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Judging by those references (and personal taste), I'd say your original palette was better. Also, I notice that the green and purple mix much more in the actual plant, since the flowers are tiny--if you could get that to work at the sprite level, it might go a long way toward making them look like lavender plants rather than puffy strips of color. On that same note, it might be worth trying to put a tiny bit of space between individual plants?
Christheturtle

Post by Christheturtle »

I don't really like that version... Like A-Red the last one was better than this one. I just think it looks sorta like it's been squeezed out of a tube or something. But like I previously said, I'm glad someone is working on it so keep it up! :)
Daxion

Post by Daxion »

Christheturtle wrote:I just think it looks sorta like it's been squeezed out of a tube or something.
A-Red wrote:Also, I notice that the green and purple mix much more in the actual plant, since the flowers are tiny--if you could get that to work at the sprite level, it might go a long way toward making them look like lavender plants rather than puffy strips of color. On that same note, it might be worth trying to put a tiny bit of space between individual plants?
Looking at the first and the last ref:
http://www.naturaledgeimages.com/galler ... /NE061.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c280/ ... vender.jpg
Lavender at a distance has no green in it, and looks almost as if pillow shaded (squeezed out of a tube). Also there is not much ground visible between the lavender plants.
But I do agree, it doesn't look very good.

I've tried to keep the look of the first try, with the green breaking through, and the bit more rough looking rows. The spacing of the rows is smaller, I guess this will mean trouble when I try to put that into tiles.
Attachments
third_no.png
third_no.png (104.4 KiB) Viewed 5239 times
Third try, with units as a reference, and also the first try in the little black box
Third try, with units as a reference, and also the first try in the little black box
third.png (100.31 KiB) Viewed 5239 times
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

That looks quite a bit better.
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

May need more hi-lights in the mud, and less grainy purple/magenta.