Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Re: stone bridge

Post by Eleazar »

lurker wrote:If there is not a heavy outcry in this thread this will be the basis for the missing pieces.
Go for it...
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
xtifr

Re: Bridges

Post by xtifr »

The se landing is much better, and you can consider my earlier (peanut-gallery[1]) crits to be withdrawn, but the east side of the new n/s looks funny to me. I can tell what you were going for, but it doesn't convince my eye. There's a line that goes straight up and down which visually disconnects the top and bottom of the support poles on the east side, making it appear like the bottom is an unrelated lumpiness on the east edge of the bridge. I can try to do a paint-over if you're not sure what I'm referring to.

[1] I think I may actually have contributed a dozen or so pixels to one in-game image, but I don't think that's enough to get me out of the peanut gallery. :)
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

xtifr wrote:The se landing is much better, and you can consider my earlier (peanut-gallery[1]) crits to be withdrawn, but the east side of the new n/s looks funny to me. I can tell what you were going for, but it doesn't convince my eye. There's a line that goes straight up and down which visually disconnects the top and bottom of the support poles on the east side, making it appear like the bottom is an unrelated lumpiness on the east edge of the bridge. I can try to do a paint-over if you're not sure what I'm referring to.
Nope, sorry, I don't see it and staring much longer will not help. Please do the paintover.
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Hello, all

Here come the missing pieces for the new wooden bridge. I think I will call this finished. Here is an image containing all different pieces at least once. I would also have uploaded three svg files, which I consider the "source code", but the file size is apparently too big. Well, anyway...
woodbridge_all_pieces.png
Greetings

Lurker
Attachments
woodbridge.zip
(103.65 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

I like that the overlap isn't as noticeable as with the old bridge, but the n-s version is way too thick. I know why, but...
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

lurker wrote:I would also have uploaded three svg files, which I consider the "source code", but the file size is apparently too big.
How big is a .zip with the svg files? I think it would be a good idea to have the sources in the svn repository (maybe in the resources branch instead of the normal development branch).
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

pauxlo wrote:
lurker wrote:I would also have uploaded three svg files, which I consider the "source code", but the file size is apparently too big.
How big is a .zip with the svg files? I think it would be a good idea to have the sources in the svn repository (maybe in the resources branch instead of the normal development branch).
2.3 MB all three together. Probably because they contain an embedded bitmap each. I could remove them, but it is hard to work on the images over a white canvas...
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Committed.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

zookeeper wrote:Committed.
Fantastic.

These are a dramatic improvement over the old wooden bridge, and really help to bring the bridge graphics up to the new terrain quality standard that Eleazar's been promulgating. Nice work lurker. :D
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

lurker wrote:
pauxlo wrote:How big is a .zip with the svg files? I think it would be a good idea to have the sources in the svn repository (maybe in the resources branch instead of the normal development branch).
2.3 MB all three together. Probably because they contain an embedded bitmap each. I could remove them, but it is hard to work on the images over a white canvas...
Hi lurker!

I just increased the attachment size limit for archives to 4 MB, so you should be able to attach the SVG files in a zip/rar/tar.gz/tar.bz2 archive now.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

shadowmaster wrote:
lurker wrote: 2.3 MB all three together. Probably because they contain an embedded bitmap each. I could remove them, but it is hard to work on the images over a white canvas...
Hi lurker!

I just increased the attachment size limit for archives to 4 MB, so you should be able to attach the SVG files in a zip/rar/tar.gz/tar.bz2 archive now.
Not as one archive, it seems, but as three distinct files it works. So here are the sources...
Attachments
woodbridge_edges.svg.zip
(804.64 KiB) Downloaded 313 times
woodbridge_joints.svg.zip
(740.6 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
woodbridge.svg.zip
(761.1 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Reepurr wrote:I like that the overlap isn't as noticeable as with the old bridge, but the n-s version is way too thick. I know why, but...
I disagree with the generality of that statement. But I will grant you, that on two of the edges the mismatch was very notable, namely the ne-s and s-nw pieces. I think it was because the beam standing out on the north sides melted visually with the floor and made it look spiky. I retracted the beam.

On an unrelated note I noticed a layering glitch in the ne-s-nw piece. Fixed also. The changed pieces are attached, as well as the two changed source files.

Greetings

Lurker
Attachments
woodbridge_joints.svg.zip
(740.86 KiB) Downloaded 356 times
woodbridge_edges.svg.zip
(804.77 KiB) Downloaded 323 times
wood-ne-s-nw.png
wood-ne-s-nw.png (7.95 KiB) Viewed 4905 times
wood-s-nw.png
wood-s-nw.png (6.13 KiB) Viewed 4905 times
wood-ne-s.png
wood-ne-s.png (6.22 KiB) Viewed 4905 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Committed the tweaked tiles and the .svg's to the resources branch.