Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Armageddon Drake

Post by thespaceinvader »

Actually, recoding the animation should not cause OOS unless you edit any things like attack names etc.

And IIRWIIR. Patience.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

What about flying animations?
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Can you not read? IIRWIIR. Have patience. Further posts bugging about when things are going to be ready will be deleted without notice. It's really annoying for the artist to be hassled about stuff like that, in my experience.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

thespaceinvader wrote:Actually, recoding the animation should not cause OOS unless you edit any things like attack names etc.
Oh, ok. My bad. :)
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Sorry about that
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

:shock: It's stuff like this that makes me want 1.9 so bad. Keep up all the great work guys, all of this is looking fantabulous!
Valkier
Art Contributor

Post by Valkier »

Decided to make a quick sketch of this unit. I love how it's coming along so far.

This is PROBABLY only going to be an alternate portrait, if it gets finished at all. Keep in mind, this is just a rough sketch so far. A finished product would show much more body.
Attachments
armageddon.jpg
Last edited by Valkier on June 21st, 2010, 3:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Win if you can. Lose if you must. But always cheat.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

WOW! That's a good portrait!

(You will only get it if you recognize the picture)
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
cretin

Post by cretin »

god that is a horrible commercial. drake looks awesome, heh your armor is always cool, cant wait to see it completed.
friar tuck

Post by friar tuck »

Valkier wrote:Decided to make a quick sketch of this unit. I love how it's coming along so far.

This is PROBABLY only going to be an alternate portrait, if it gets finished at all. Keep in mind, this is just a rough sketch so far. A finished product would show much more body.
I absolutely love how this is turning out, especially the skin and armour.

The only thing that bothers me: The way its teeth are sticking out looks weird to me, in particular these:
armageddon-teeth.jpg
armageddon-teeth.jpg (9.76 KiB) Viewed 3416 times
Teeth that size are substantial things, and their massive roots will have a lot of impact on the faces anatomy. On this reference,

the "gums" (or whatever it is where your teeth stick in when you have no lips) are clearly outlined, and the teeth' roots visibly bulge outwards.

Maybe this will become clearer in the completed image, just wanted to point it out...

Peanut gallery talking here, so feel free to ignore. Maybe the drake's anatomy is different...

EDIT: In fact I'd have hoped for slightly parted lips to let the inevitable trail of smoke / wisp of fire out, but maybe that'd've been just too much cliché :P
Valkier
Art Contributor

Post by Valkier »

I was originally intending to just continue to update the same post over and over, but I had to make a head change since I decided the old one looked terrible.

Thanks for the reference Friar. It crossed my mind off and on but I just didn't get around to it for general forgetfulness. I think my new attempt looks much better due to your insight.

I'll keep updating this one with any improvements I make since this thread is more about the sprite and I, again, don't want to spam it and "take over". Alternatively if a mod thinks this would be better left in my own thread then please move it. The sprite work done in this thread is some of my favorite in the game and I don't wish to detract from that.
Attachments
armageddon.jpg
Win if you can. Lose if you must. But always cheat.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Ahh! I knew it looked familiar, and Now I see it! It's Godzilla! (Zilla in every country that's not the USA ((Kind of like Soccer)))

The first one is more so.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Takeoff and landing. Almost there.

The portrait is awesome. During the earlier stages of spriting this unit I kept thinking about how cool it would be to have a portrait to go with it. I'm glad I caught someone's interest.

(edit: more motion in the spring)
Attachments
armageddon-drake-takeoff.gif
armageddon-drake-takeoff.gif (13.5 KiB) Viewed 3018 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

I think you need some movement in the near arm during the takeoff animation - currently it is noticeably immobile apart from switching position. I'd say also making the crouch deeper would be good. Otherwise it's looking cool =)
em3

Post by em3 »

Totally peanut and slightly off-topic:
He looks like such a heavy flying unit, that it would be cool if a cloud of dust rose off the ground as he lands. It would be just an eye candy, though.
ride on shooting star