Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: REQUEST - metal sparkle animation, example included

Post by thespaceinvader »

I'm reasonably sure that the iStore policies forbid people to upload free versions of software that is available for sale there, GPL or no GPL. It doesn't prevent distribution outside the iStore, though.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

jaimeastorga2000 wrote:I don't think that'd work for the purposes of inclusion in Wesnoth. As far as I know, every one of the 6 main CC licenses is incompatible with the GPL (the FSF specifically mentions that CC-BY and CC-BY-SA are incompatible, at least), which is the license under which all Wesnoth art is published.
P.S. while CC-BY-NC is disqualified for not being a FOSS license, CC-BY and CC-BY-SA still qualify. The FSF specifically mentions that CC-BY-2.0 and CC-BY-SA-2.0 are incompatibly. CC-BY-3.0 and CC-BY-SA-3.0 are fine.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

thespaceinvader wrote:I'm reasonably sure that the iStore policies forbid people to upload free versions of software that is available for sale there, GPL or no GPL. It doesn't prevent distribution outside the iStore, though.
Only if you have it under a license that prohibits that. Otherwise it's fair game.

:twisted: If you do have a license that prohibits it, apple is very good about hammering down on the thieves. In fact, they'll even send everyone who bought it a refund (up to and including taking a loss themselves, IIRC). This has happened before, although I can't remember what program it was with.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Hey, nice metal sparkly!

Will we be seeing this on other units? (Fencer, Dwarvish Lord, Cavalier, etc.)
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I understood this to be the indicator for the leadership effect. Using it on other units just for eye candy would be confusing.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Jetrel wrote:Only if you have it under a license that prohibits that. Otherwise it's fair game.

:twisted: If you do have a license that prohibits it, apple is very good about hammering down on the thieves. In fact, they'll even send everyone who bought it a refund (up to and including taking a loss themselves, IIRC). This has happened before, although I can't remember what program it was with.
Apple is a strange company. Very fair and friendly in many business aspects, while bordering on the tyrannical in many creative aspects.

But perhaps all this discussion of licenses and such should be split off to another forum, so that this thread can remain dedicated to art? [Edit: Already answered. No worries.]
Last edited by Sangel on April 13th, 2010, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Jetrel wrote:
Gambit wrote:But we are getting far off track here. Splitting time?
I'm the moderator, and this thread doesn't need to be split - the thread is mostly finished, since the request has been fulfilled.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:I understood this to be the indicator for the leadership effect. Using it on other units just for eye candy would be confusing.

Yes, this is only for units with leadership. However, it's for -all- units with leadership, of all races - every one of them can be shoehorned into "brandishing" something which would have a "bright shiny spot" on it.

As we are right now for leaders:
Orcs have swords. Humans have swords. Elves have swords. Drakes have katarish metal claws. Death knights have axes. We're covered.
Issyl

Post by Issyl »

On Groovy's most recent animation - I would say the gleam should be closer to the right point or the tip itself.
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

I'm pretty sure the position is not part of the animation itself and can be moved as needed.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I've committed the images. Next up will be updating the macro, and all the units that use it. The macro will have one X,Y parameters, so the location can be adjusted per unit.
Jetrel

Re: FINISHED - metal sparkle animation, example included

Post by Jetrel »

And just now, I've committed the new macro, and applied it to all the leader units that were already using the macro.

Thanks, guys. :D

(note: unstable only, not gonna dick with macros in 1.8)