Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Descent Into Darkness Campaign: Ghast Revision

Post by thespaceinvader »

Indeed, feel free to finish the attack and defence - and keep the death in mind for later, too - but for now, getting units like the mermen animated would be far preferable, and you will undoubtedly be able to do a fantastic job.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Just wanted to chime in that this is looking really cool - I love where you guys are going with this concept. :D

I would actually be in favor of mainlining this, when it's done, even if not as a strict advancement (that's something we can argue about with the appropriate people later), but at least as a special unit.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
JackBarber

Post by JackBarber »

Jetrel wrote:Just wanted to chime in that this is looking really cool - I love where you guys are going with this concept. :D

I would actually be in favor of mainlining this, when it's done, even if not as a strict advancement (that's something we can argue about with the appropriate people later), but at least as a special unit.
Maybe add it as a "normal" unit but just make it a huge amount of experience to get (such as the arch mage line).
"Do YOU know the muffin man?"
."Don't wake me if I'm dreaming."
.."Even words can drive a man to madness."
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

An idea strikes: maybe this could be added as an easter-egg type advancement for the necrophage - if you use the 'feeding' ability enough times, it becomes a Ghast - maybe if you get 10 'munches' or something...
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

thespaceinvader wrote:An idea strikes: maybe this could be added as an easter-egg type advancement for the necrophage - if you use the 'feeding' ability enough times, it becomes a Ghast - maybe if you get 10 'munches' or something...
Great idea.
Stern
Art Contributor

Post by Stern »

While I let Zerovirus work on the frames for the Ghast's attack animation, I have begun blocking out the Ghast's two defense frames. I referenced the Ghoul and Necrophage's habit of retracting their arms and hugging them against thier body while attacked. What do you think of the Ghast's defense so far?
Attachments
ghast-defense-animation.gif
ghast-defense-animation.gif (1.7 KiB) Viewed 3985 times
Doing things one step at a time. Current Project: Speckles the Toad!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Looks reasonable - how about it closes all its mouths and eyes on the 'hit' frame?
Stern
Art Contributor

Post by Stern »

Thats a good idea! I am beginning the coloring process, and have shut his mouths and eye sockets.
Attachments
ghast-defend-animation.gif
ghast-defend-animation.gif (2.26 KiB) Viewed 3895 times
Valkier
Art Contributor

Post by Valkier »

I'm loving the new Ghast sprite. It's finally looking like more than some fat guy who got pink bellied at lunch. Actually I'm kind of encouraged to work on a portrait for it now. Oh the things I'll do when I don't have class work bogging me down.

I don't know how set on the hit animation everyone is, but I thought I'd throw in a suggestion. It seems the evolution wants to make the mouth on his stomach more and more pronounced. It might be neat to have him arch backwards to open that mouth and then spike the teeth out like a stabbing motion.
Win if you can. Lose if you must. But always cheat.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Kinda corny, and really difficult to animate - the way it is now will be fine ;) Plus, that raises questions as to damage type, since it would look like spikes rather than blades.
Valkier
Art Contributor

Post by Valkier »

thespaceinvader wrote:Kinda corny, and really difficult to animate - the way it is now will be fine ;) Plus, that raises questions as to damage type, since it would look like spikes rather than blades.
Difficult is just another word for fun! As for corny, we have a giant corpse with a mouth on it's stomach. Something that would not even physically work outside of the "It's magic!" excuse. My friend, we are well past corny. We have not only gone to Oz but beaten the wizard, super soakered the witch, and at this point we are just setting the monkeys down to work on that Shakespeare play.

Anyhow I just figured it worked better with the poisoning thing. If it's not used then I doubt anyone will lose sleep over it.
Win if you can. Lose if you must. But always cheat.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

If anyone wanted to make that animation, it's possible to have more than one attack animation for an attack ;)
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Stern
Art Contributor

Post by Stern »

The rough draft of the animation for the attack does not include the teeth as of yet. My vision for the bites would resemble those of ferocious sharks whose teeth seem to "project" from the jaw. This idea comes from one of the vivid memories that I have acquired from watching the movie "Jaws" at a young and impressionable age. All in all, I'm excited to hear about your interest in drawing a portrait for the Ghast. I'd really like to see what you can come up with!

Attached to this post is the Ghast's colored defence animation. Do you have any ideas on how to improve it?
Attachments
ghast-defend-colored-animation.gif
ghast-defend-colored-animation.gif (2.84 KiB) Viewed 3713 times
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

:) Awesome work. The only thing I see is the claws on its right foot get progressively longer and larger through the animation... although that might be intentional?
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

I see me some pillowing. Of course this is better than me having to begin from basic blocking, but I'll be doing work on it later if you post frames. I haven't had much time recently, sorry about that.

That said, the two frames move a bit too much, more than any other wesnoth defense anim does, doesn't it? Almost a bit jumpy.