Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: the flame of warmth

Post by Gambit »

Forest fires burn a *lot* of green, so more smoke is needed. Smoke is the defining feature in a forest fire. Not necessarily more flames (though that is a little weak right now). Even when you're far enough away that you can't see the fire, you can see smoke.
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

yessss, Gambit hit the mark. This kind of fire need more smoke. :o
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Could some of those little flames be used on the pillager torch? I don't know how it would look, but it seems like it can be an improvement at least on the standing animation part.

It looks awesome, but as other mentioned it seems a bit small compared to what people could expect. I tought you would have used a near full hex big fire flame, even if it sounds stupid, so looking at this was a bit confusing at first.

Still, I'm impressed on how you give that life to fire and mut say that once you have time, if you could write a tutorial about it, it will be greatly appreciated.

Wish you a nice week.
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

Give live to the tourch of pillage is something that already thought. About the fire on forest, i'm concious that maybe the result is not that we expected. Another time, the background not helps. If you put the same fire on a dark background, these are more impresive...But this can't be a excuse. I Think that following the Gambit's suggestion we will improve it.
Attachments
testing.gif
testing.gif (7.75 KiB) Viewed 5206 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

These fires look fantastic. I'm immensely impressed at how much you've crammed into that... 5 frames? And the first ones look really large-scale, in keeping with the size of the terrain. Even if they're not perfect on the smoke factor yet.

Great, great work.

And yeah, the Goblin Pillager is something we might do - it was, in fact, one of rhyging's first attempts at a wesnoth project. And given the nature of your later work, rhyging, maybe something you might want to come back to and try again at some point? Definitely not something to rush on, though - it's a lot of work, better left until the Pillager's new base frame and attack animation are complete.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

rhyging5 wrote:hey guys!, I'm worked on fabi's request, a forest fire. Still I haven't nothing definitive, but advanced enough to talk about. I would like to know your impression about the fire, and how it may be implemented. I also have drawed the possibles ways it can moves. But is better that Fabi and rest of people explains how it could to work....
Nice to see you have started work on the forest fire, I already like your work.
Especially the smoke that emits from the flames is done nicely.
I agree that a fire that consumes green plants would smoke more but in my opinion we don't have to be that precise if you don't want to.

Making a generic overlay for all types of forests will be the best way to go because it will safe a lot of work.
My idea about having different musters of fire would be to make some less dense ones that can be combined to gain more variate
or denser fires.
That way one could easily code fire that starts small but grows denser and denser with the time.
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

thespaceinvader wrote:These fires look fantastic. I'm immensely impressed at how much you've crammed into that... 5 frames? And the first ones look really large-scale, in keeping with the size of the terrain. Even if they're not perfect on the smoke factor yet.
thanks! 15 frames of pure fire! I started with 10 frames, but don't have quality enough because you can to perceive easily the loop.
fabi wrote:Making a generic overlay for all types of forests will be the best way to go because it will safe a lot of work.
My idea about having different musters of fire would be to make some less dense ones that can be combined to gain more variate
or denser fires.
That way one could easily code fire that starts small but grows denser and denser with the time.
another posibility, is that I provide to you 3 animations that represents 3 levels of fire intensity
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

rhyging5 wrote: another posibility, is that I provide to you 3 animations that represents 3 levels of fire intensity
That is true, but leads to all fires of the same intensity looking equal.

If there is a huger area on fire that could lead to a Moiré pattern.
But I am not enough skilled in computer graphics to give a good advise on that matter.
Daxion

Post by Daxion »

rhyging, it looks like you are having 6 different "fire-colums" in the in the forest fire.
Wouldn't it be possible to shift them around, to create slightly differnt looking fires (they almost look the same, but probably would create a pattern)?
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

as usual, if you post the frames, i'll be able to include them...

btw, could you post your torch lit cave walls at some points ? i'd love to add these if you consider them ready
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
stimj

Post by stimj »

Just a thought: Instead of putting smoke into the animation, why don't you use the clouds from your other thread? That way you could also have the smoke drift and it wouldn't obscure your beautiful flames as much :)
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

Boucman: I will put the flame's pngs as early as I can. But think that we need to set the forest fire implementation before put its png
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

sure, I was more thinking of the torches on the walls...
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

......yes, of course. Then, when we could see it on game?
Attachments
tourch.zip
(638.71 KiB) Downloaded 492 times
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

well, these would need a new terrain type, and that would mean breaking compatibility with the latest 1.7, which is a no-no at this point

so it would probably be integrated with 1.9.0