Wagon overhaul

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
catwhowalksbyhimself

Re: Wagon overhaul

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

Actually, those farm horses are the strongest and sturdiest alive. You simply CAN'T get any better, because they were bread specifically to haul large heavy loads. War horses are smaller for a variety of reasons. They have to be fast, they can't present too large a target, and they have to be agile. A bit ole workhorse, on the other hand, needs to be none of these things. They need only carry heavy loads for long periods of time without tiring out, and being big and ugly actually helps them out there. The horses a king would use for hauling silver would likely be the biggest and strongest they could find. Speed does you absolutely no good for a heavy load anyway. Slow and steady is the key.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Here's the next version. I'm having trouble shading the canvas, any suggestions? And I'm not really sure what to do about the driver. Should he be armored, or carrying any sort of weapon?
Attachments
newercart.png
newercart.png (9.49 KiB) Viewed 7097 times
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

The canvass wouldn't be flat. It would dip between the support beams.
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
Issyl

Post by Issyl »

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... PSF%29.png

Here's a good reference picture, both for the wagon covering and everything else (Although you're using horses, not oxen).
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

artisticdude wrote:any suggestions?
Start shading it like a half cylinder. Then, like Mirion said, the top edge of the cover needs to be scalloped, and each of the ribs will cause a highlight and a shadow on opposite sides. Also, the cart needs to be much darker inside.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Who knew shading the canvas would be so darn hard? I know this looks pathetic, but at least it's a start. Also added the shadows, but I'm not really sure what to do about the driver.
Attachments
shadowsandshading.png
shadowsandshading.png (10 KiB) Viewed 6946 times
Aura

Post by Aura »

You should try a chariot base if this turns out well.
Trilby
Art Contributor

Post by Trilby »

I think, perhaps, adding a complementary colour tint to the canvas, along the left hand edge of the ribs, where the shadows would fall. Maybe a dull mauve / murky blue, painted with a low opacity, see how it looks. That way you could create contrast in the rib lines.

Working more shading into the wood work along the way, would also help pick out further adjustments for the canvas as well.

I think it would be interesting to see the horses adjusted from each other slightly, in posture more than anything, the level of their heads for example. Also I thought that if the horses were wearing blinkers by their eyes, you'd get a better idea of them being draught horses.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

You need to be more bold with the dipping of the cloth and the shading. I did a two-minute paintover. It's obviously garbage, but it shows what I mean by "bold".
Attachments
bold.png
bold.png (12.9 KiB) Viewed 6901 times
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Fog

Post by Fog »

You definitly need a lot more contrast everywhere, except for the horses. Definitly take beetelnaut's shading as an example. I think you could go with even more contrast that what beetlenaut has, actually.

As for the Raedarius, my nly suggestion is to make a reference to size of the riders of the horses, this way, the size will about the same.
Ecce, in caelo! Est avem! Minime, est vehiculum aerem! Minime, est virum Latinum!
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

beetlenaut wrote:I did a two-minute paintover. It's obviously garbage, but it shows what I mean by "bold".
:shock: For a 2 minute paintover, that's better than I could do in two hours. It definitely gets the idea across though, thanks a lot! :D

I'm running into a problem with the size of the driver, though. :( The average wesnoth sprite is as tall as the entire cart, and in proportion wouldn't be able to sit comfortably in the front of the wagon without bending over. I honestly don't know what to do about this, any ideas?
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Put him next to the horses. I highly doubt they'll be moving at high speed with all that silver, he can probably walk alongside the horses as they move their load.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

You do realize that it's way too big currently?
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

Well either it's too big or it'll look badly scaled. I'd prefer the former if I'm honest, so long as it doesn't obscure the surrounding frames badly I say leave it as it is. As with the dragon it's not like it's going to be in constant use.
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

This is the other reason why I suggested pack horses - it is simply not going to be possible to fit a properly scaled cart and horses into a hex. And people will complain it's too big if we try to make it hex breaking...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.