the weather has life, and can be a a enemy!

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Re: the weather has life, and can be a a enemy!

Post by Boucman »

yes... except there are way more than three layers internally...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Graphically, this is an absolutely wonderful asset for UMC campaigns/maps/etc. There are many of them that already have weather as a gameplay mechanic; having graphics and animations to support that would be wonderful. :D

However, we're not changing the core gameplay of the main game. This is something that would be a side-feature for special maps, but not a regular part of normal gameplay.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
JackBarber

Post by JackBarber »

Like dark clouds around a lich's keep perhaps?
"Do YOU know the muffin man?"
."Don't wake me if I'm dreaming."
.."Even words can drive a man to madness."
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

I don't know if the OP is planning on going anywhere further with this, but I was wondering if we could get the relevant PNGs for the clouds/lightning posted? It'd be great if more is forthcoming, but if not having what you already made would be nifty.
yeahthatguy

Post by yeahthatguy »

What about a "shadow" terrian that's essentially the polar opposite of the cave light instead of showing actual clouds? Going by the Elder Mage's attack I believe that would look more consistant.

Or move the clouds up?
lord_joakim

Post by lord_joakim »

Is it only me that could see these clouds as some sort of attack animation? Or a 'spell' of some sort?
Eros

Post by Eros »

Or they could be merely interest factor. eg cloads turn daytime to neutral as with caves.
"Genius is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration" (Thomas Edison) Which is why I smell so bad!
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

i like tsrs idea about minimal TOD-like changes through weather! i mean, why not ? in this game, a lot of RNG based decisions happen, why shouldnt the weather be a part of it ? i am already daydreaming about a ladder comment like

"...finally i had him in a corner, and suddenly this big, dark, cloud appeared from the middle of nowhere and as i was about finishing him, my max. damage changed to -10%, what was just the amount of damage i needed to be able to finish off him. next time you wont get away! gg"

:D

and i dont think that it will be too complicated for anybody to grasp this new concept.
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Eros wrote:Or they could be merely interest factor. eg cloads turn daytime to neutral as with caves.
That would unbalance the gameplay in favor of chaotic units, because while clouds would randomly appear during the day and take away the lawful advantage, nothing equivalent would happen at night to take away the chaotic advantage.
Last edited by A-Red on April 22nd, 2010, 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Rigor wrote:i like tsrs idea about minimal TOD-like changes through weather! i mean, why not ? in this game, a lot of RNG based decisions happen, why shouldnt the weather be a part of it ? i am already daydreaming about a ladder comment like

"...finally i had him in a corner, and suddenly this big, dark, cloud appeared from the middle of nowhere and as i was about finishing him, my max. damage changed to -10%, what was just the amount of damage i needed to be able to finish off him. next time you wont get away! gg"

:D

and i dont think that it will be too complicated for anybody to grasp this new concept.

the thing is, with the current RNG, random things that can make things go bad (like wether (for example)) are already taken into account. or what do yu think why an offense with about the same units, terains etc - can have so much different outcomes ?

make it more random doesnt make much sense
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

since the weather cloud that affects TOD would rarely if ever appear on hexes where it makes a real difference, id suggest we just TRY IT FIRST? :) come on, a range of 10% more or less doesnt make the difference in normal games, its cool!
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Rigor wrote:a range of 10% more or less doesnt make the difference in normal games
On the contrary, it can make the difference between victory or defeat. Besides, this idea has already been rejected by the powers that be, and we don't have the images from Ryging5 even if we did want to put this in wesnoth (otherwise I would have tried it long ago, seeing as I've already coded the rest of his terrain work :P ).
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

you quote me out of the context! tz tz tz...
the weather clouds would appear at random, and very rarely they would have this effect of 10% (see posts above), most of the time 0%, and only in some of those rare cases there will be a blizzard zone (only one hex at a time) on a 35x25 hex map. i really think its worth a shot. btw this one is crossinked with the experimental forum. http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 72#p423372
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

@rhyging
Those clouds look really good.

If you don't mind, please upload the files, i'd like to look at how you constructed them for possible application to how the impassable mountain clouds are done.

I bet someone else will be able to find a use for them too.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

Oh yes, please upload the file... I'd love to see if I can integrate them into the Sidhe somehow.

On a different note, could they be implemented as another option for fog?