Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Re: water animation

Post by Boucman »

Ok, we have problems integrating on macs, I need to debug that with the mac packager, so uncortunately I can't pack things for you...

Yoyobuae : it's not as simple as just droping a file, you'll need all the images (which are not the ones rhyging5 provided, I had to chop and rename some of them)

moreover we only have a couple of transitions at this point, and though they look fine the overall look is quite ugly...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

Boucman wrote:Ok, we have problems integrating on macs, I need to debug that with the mac packager, so uncortunately I can't pack things for you...
ok,then this means i can't see the result?.....this is as working on the dark....at least, the first images are working well?
Boucman wrote:eventually, we'll have to talk about recoloring to be able to handle all types of water, but there is no emergency on that side
yes, it's true. But I propose for a other kinds of waves, the bood and the pestilence waves. But first, keep working on the current version. then, I must give to you the rest of transitions?.....think you must be improved?
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

rhyging5 wrote:
Boucman wrote:Ok, we have problems integrating on macs, I need to debug that with the mac packager, so uncortunately I can't pack things for you...
ok,then this means i can't see the result?.....this is as working on the dark....at least, the first images are working well?
yes, i'm doing my best to find a way to provide you feedback, i'll keep you posted.

I was able to integrate all the transitions you provided, and they do look great... keep up the good work
rhyging5 wrote:
Boucman wrote:eventually, we'll have to talk about recoloring to be able to handle all types of water, but there is no emergency on that side
yes, it's true. But I propose for a other kinds of waves, the bood and the pestilence waves. But first, keep working on the current version. then, I must give to you the rest of transitions?.....think you must be improved?

i guess by pestilence you mean swamp...

i'm not sure what you mean by "bood" though...

the images you provided are for deep water (ocean) arn't they ? (it's trivial to change if I got it wrong)

in any case, I agree. let's finish what we have started and move on later...
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Boucman wrote: i guess by pestilence you mean swamp...

He provided this earlier. I think that's what he means?
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

Boucman wrote:guess by pestilence you mean swamp...

the images you provided are for deep water (ocean) arn't they ? (it's trivial to change if I got it wrong)
-yes, I mean the swamp waves
-for the blood waves I mean a red waves that can be used as a to ancestral, dangerous and terrific waves........or a normal waves with a recent battle with many deaths.....for example....
-yes they are deep water....for the shallow waters we will use the same with a clear tone....as the current mainline....
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

Do you intend to make water-water transitions?
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

probably, rhyging5 already provided them for ocean<->ocean
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

Boucman wrote:*snip*
Yoyobuae : it's not as simple as just droping a file, you'll need all the images (which are not the ones rhyging5 provided, I had to chop and rename some of them)
*snip*
All the more interesting for me, as a learning experience.

I think I know more or less how things should be set up. But having your cfg file as an example would be quite helpful so I can do it myself. I can chop up the images as required (I think).

I just want to follow the progress of this (and enjoy it in game) by setting it up on my own, with minimal fuzz for other people. That's the beauty of having easy access to cfg files and such.

But if you think it's too much trouble, I guess I'll eventually work out a cfg file on my own.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

i'd be impressed if you did, I had to heavily modify the castle-cutter tool to have it do what I needed...

more to the point, I'd rather not post some work in progress in the forum...

badly applying the change can break your wesnoth install and I can troubleshoot one or two users I certainly can't fix everybody's wesnoth.

Once i'm confident enough i'll commit it to mainline and everybody will have it, but in the meantime I reserve it to those that really need it... mainly artists.
Kleptomane

Post by Kleptomane »

I must say, this is impressive work.
Mefisto wrote:Do you intend to make water-water transitions?
Yes, this has me curious :P I'm looking forward to seeing how the shallow/deep water to ford transitions will look like.
DerWer2

Post by DerWer2 »

This is my first post on this forum. I have to ask, has anyone considered animating fog?
EELuminatus
Art Contributor

Post by EELuminatus »

Aye, welcome DerWer ! - and right away, there's things to learn :

A thread called "water animation" is not about fog, so I'd say : wrong thread.
As there is no thread about fog that I know of, you might consider opening one...
... BUT, the question you should be able to answer then, especially, is: Why do you "have to ask"?
- If you want to suggest making it yourself, do it ! (Preferably posting a sample, right away.)
- If you just want it to be discussed, you're unlikely to find anyone else jumping at it, so rather don't post - it's useless.
:eng:

Anyway, to answer your question: to my knowledge - no.
At least it seems to be far off the priority list (which is the main reason why simply suggesting it to be done seems useless to me), and frankly: I can't even imagine it to look good/realistic. I've rarely seen fog visibly moving... :hmm: ... so anyway I'd say: no animation needed.
rhyging5 wrote:-for the blood waves I mean a red waves that can be used as a to ancestral, dangerous and terrific waves
You still like the dangerous wheather idea, huh? :wink: ... same animations in different colours would be entirely pleasing, before getting on to adv. level stuff, no? (Even though I'm confident you could do it, looking truly terrific and all!)
DerWer2

Post by DerWer2 »

I didn't think it was so important that it needed it's own thread. If someone else thinks otherwise by all means make a new thread.

As far as it looking good/realistic, there where doubts at the beginning of this thread as to whether or not water animations where plausible.

To the subject of if I should design a fog animation myself. First of all I am not an animator or even an artist, my comment was solely for the sake stimulating further conversation.

Great job rhyging5.
khilas

Post by khilas »

I just want to show my support: rhyging5: you are doing a great job! :)
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

derwer2: personally, I like to hear all opinions. Think that all hide something to think about. In the case of your, think that is not necesary to animate fog, because it moves so slowly. So if we do,it could seems another thing (like white smoke for instance).

EEluminatus: then, you like my idea? I image that blood waves with some floating bones and fodder...but have to much work before that