Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Re: water animation

Post by Boucman »

ok, rhyging5 let's compromise :P

I have a tool to automatically cut your images in center +edges, but I have a few constraints that would help me greatly...

could you do all your images the same size (like 200x200 so you have space) even sized (your current images are odd sized which means making them even has to be done by hand)

if you do them that way, cutting them in pieces for later use will be easy

thx
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

great!!!! then I understand that you need a new cut out of the image......Now it attached. I hope this serves. About the transitions, i suggest to focus on reef trasnsitions. The reason is that I worked more on them and have clearer implementation. The "beach" transition is second version less worked. Take a look at the image below called chasm-sketch. Is a sketch, drawed for other developer, of the differents images the chasm is divided (12). My intention is to use the same mecanism. Take a look on "concave" image. This is one of these images with my water animation transition. I attached the pngs. I think is good to make use of this "mecanism" and I imagine that you can also use its code, right? :) if you agree and this attemp works then I will provide the other eleven images....
Attachments
concave.zip
(359.55 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
concave.gif
concave.gif (8.96 KiB) Viewed 4096 times
chasm-sketch.png
chasm-sketch.png (72.77 KiB) Viewed 4096 times
newmain.zip
(498.28 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

this is probably good, but i'll have a deeper look asap, i'll keep you posted.

problem is the people with the knowhow of terrains disapeared, and i'm learning to do it (and learning to use the proper tools) so bear with me...
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

ok, I've integrated the basic ocean tiles with their transitions, so that's fine...

however there is no such transition as the convex one you posted...

i'm sorry to insist, but let's try to focus on the beach type transitions for the moment... they are waaaay simpler for me to handle, and once I have a little more knowhow we can move on, it'll allow me to specify much better what I need from you and do a better job with it, rather to have you redo some job because i didn't know what I needed

so, the grass to water transitions are in data/core/images/terrain/flat and they are called grass-to-water

if you could use these as templates for your animations, that would be great

thx
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

ok, I have no problem in adapting myself to you, but i don't undertand at all when you say: "however there is no such transition as the convex one you posted...". theres a chasm-concave-br.png on the terrain folder....this is what i use to do the transition. Otherwise I take a look on grass to water transitions. I will work on them...i'll keep you posted.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

well, the transition you posted looks like a chasm-type cliff with snow or ice on the upper side and water on the lower side.

however the ice-to-water and snow-to-water don't look like that, so i'm not sure what it's supposed to replace...

the chasm you used as a model is supposed to be an endless fall.. moreover it's "wall based" which means that chasm like castle walls define closed surfaces with this type of border all around

this is not the case for water where every type of neighbouring terrain has its own type of transition...
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

It could be done with a separate water terrain, that transitions with cliffs rather than beaches.
em3

Post by em3 »

AI wrote:It could be done with a separate water terrain, that transitions with cliffs rather than beaches.
But, if I understand correctly, the "cliff" water could not merge smoothly with "beach" water, not to mention shallow water.
ride on shooting star
someone

Post by someone »

I think that the waterside cliffs should be more brown. The transition from grass to the black doesn't look so great.
Expanding Wesnoth

You are an Arch Mage - You're definitely intelligent, but some people would say you spend too much time inside. The power you have learned, however, is simply unmatched.
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

mmmm.....yeah....you must to replace chasm-concave-br.png. The image transition I posted don't have snow or ice. It's just a impresion. In fact, is a kind of transition that adapts to any terrain, like "water-to-anyone". Another advantage of the "chasm transition system" is that with only 12 images, you can get all the posibles combinations and shapes. I like so much this simplicity. Maybe with the image below you will understand how works the images transition I posted before. The reason that I still insist on this, is that with the simple fact that copying the same code as the Chasm and replacing images, we have most of the work done.
Attachments
exemple.png
exemple.png (20.31 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

Let me explain a bit better........I woud like to do a little practice demostration:

1- Copy the attached png's to the terrain folder of the game. Replacing the original ones.
2- Then, go to map editor of the game. Go to the caves section.
3- select the new chasm type.
4- Play with all shapes as you want, including transitions to diferents kinds of flat ground.
Attachments
cliff-transitions.zip
(294.85 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

If we're going to do this, we need to do it right - this means that all of the transitions need doing - it simply doesn't work to have, for instance, a scenario set on a beach, where the transition into the water is a cliff.

I don't like to put pressure on artists unnecessarily, but you'd need to make this work with every transition to water, not just the cliff ones. Conceivably, we might find some use for it this way (i'll talk with jet about it) but i'm not sure.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

I feel a little misunderstood. I'm not suggests to do only a cliff transition. I'm suggeting to take use of a existent system of transition, which seems the most simplified, for all kinds of water transition.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Ah righto - I'm glad that you're going to do all the transitions. Hope to see more soon =D
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
mabeenot

Post by mabeenot »

I really like all the work you've done. Keep it coming. :D