Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: TSG, sprites reedition

Post by zookeeper »

That's pretty acrobatic for a regular attack, but would be perfect as a special killing blow animation. Still, if you don't want to make more, we can use just that. As an animation it's superb.
Bad_Dog

Post by Bad_Dog »

That attack looks awesome, but for a foot soldier in full plate with a heavy bardiche, just not possible at all :?

The same animation would look great if we had a ninja-like character with a staff or a light polearm.
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

In your earlier base frame, he had a glaive - which fits with the original sprite, and the unit's description. As bad-dog said, he has a bardiche now. The difference is that a bardiche is a long-shafted axe with a thin, tall, usually crescent-shaped blade and a glaive is essentially a sword with a very, very, very long hilt.

But that is such an awesome attack animation, it'd probably keep making the campaign harder - because I wouldn't worry about keeping him alive, I'd just charge the enemies to see the attack animation! :lol2:
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Reepurr that sort of quibbling is irrelevant and pointless. Please keep your crits relevant and useful in future.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

thanks a lot for replies...
zookeeper wrote:That's pretty acrobatic for a regular attack, but would be perfect as a special killing blow animation.
I'm don't know about this kind of attacks on game. How exactly works? :|
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

rhyging5 wrote:thanks a lot for replies...
zookeeper wrote:That's pretty acrobatic for a regular attack, but would be perfect as a special killing blow animation.
I'm don't know about this kind of attacks on game. How exactly works? :|
It works so that one animation is used when the strike doesn't kill the enemy, and another animation is used the the strike kills the enemy. Or were you asking for the necessary WML?
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

When defining the animations, you can filter on about anything - attacks, unit (or units), terrain, TOD, etc.
You could have an animation played only on hitting or on missing, or on killing the enemy. AnimationWML#How_animations_are_chosen

You may have noticed that the last missile-frame of the mage's (or red mage's?) fire-attack looks different when missing than when hitting.

From the animation standpoint, you simply have to make additional animations for specific situations, the WML-wizards will wire it in :-)

(Ninja'ed, but I'll still send.)