Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Guillaume

Casstle edge are too...

Post by Guillaume »

Hi,

The more I see screenshots and the more I play BFW, the more I find the edge of the casttle too "visible" compared to the rest of the graphics (forest, sea, swamp, grassland, ...)

How about not drawing the edge of the casttle in black, but in something lighter that will better accomodate with the rest of the screen (a lgray for example) ?

Am I alone to have this point of view ?

Guillaume
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

in other words, you want it to blend in a bit with the adjected terrain; to make it look a bit older and more realistic?; good idea and probably possible.
Guillaume

Post by Guillaume »

Yes, that was exaclty my idea ! :lol:
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

I have to say I agree. It seems the trend is for terrain to not be outlined but for units to be outlined. Since the castles are terrain it sounds like the sensible evolution of them.
Free Gamer - free games compendium & commentary
FreeGameDev - free game development community
Ayin
Inactive Developer

Post by Ayin »

I somewhat agree it would be nice to smoothen the castle outlines, even if I am the one who originally did draw those black borders :)

However, please realize that changing a whole castle tileset is something rather complex... There are 75 different tiles composing the castle / the keeps (cut out from some larger images, OK, but this is still much work)

So it may take time to achieve :)
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Castles are important enough that I actually like the outline.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I like Ayin's current castles, they look cool, and it's obvious what they are. They're one of the better pieces of art in the game, so I'd think twice before messing with them.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Castles are important enough that I actually like the outline.
This is also my view. Castles are buildings, like villages, and i think the villages have outlines too.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Don't really care either way - they look good as they are, though...
Guillaume

Post by Guillaume »

Hi,

I didn't say that I don't like castlles (I must recognize that it's a master piece of the graphics). The only thing that I dislike a little are the outlines (I prefer having as already said outlines for characters and not for terrain).

Guillaume
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

But castle are buildings like villages, which is why they have distinct outlines and don't just flow into the next terrain. The land can transiton from one type to another, but buildings should stick out and be distinct.
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

I agree that the castle tend to look too sharp with their outline...but I think more terrain should have sharp outline when justified (houses, villages, bridges, hills, montains) or at lest sharp features rather than blured out.
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

could anyone post an edites screenshot to see how it looks with thiner edges ?