Adding small icons in the "Current Status" table

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
X-Site

Re: Adding small icons in the "Current Status" table

Post by X-Site »

Daxion wrote:In the old way, there is little way around reading the title of the table, figuring out the correct line and collum. With the icons, this goes faster, at least for me.
I'd like to add that on longer tables it makes an even bigger difference.
It's so much easer to find out in which column you're actually are. Since there is no unit with the values, the symbols are a nice replacement.
It's a little more cluttered if you look at the whole table, yes, but when actually using it it helps orientating.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

X-Site wrote:
Daxion wrote:In the old way, there is little way around reading the title of the table, figuring out the correct line and collum. With the icons, this goes faster, at least for me.
I'd like to add that on longer tables it makes an even bigger difference.
It's so much easer to find out in which column you're actually are. Since there is no unit with the values, the symbols are a nice replacement.
It's a little more cluttered if you look at the whole table, yes, but when actually using it it helps orientating.
It's cluttered period. When you're orienting yourself, shucks-golly, you're looking at the whole table. :annoyed: You're going against the best practices of the entire design world, here. Really; they've dealt with this specific problem. Thousands and thousands of times.

You're right that it solves some problems, but it introduces other problems. A nicer fix for this, which wouldn't screw anything up, would be to tint alternating columns in slightly different brightnesses.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Jetrel wrote:You're right that it solves some problems, but it introduces other problems. A nicer fix for this, which wouldn't screw anything up, would be to tint alternating columns in slightly different brightnesses.
Good idea.

Was the spacing part fixed in trunk yet?
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
X-Site

Post by X-Site »

Jetrel wrote:You're right that it solves some problems, but it introduces other problems. A nicer fix for this, which wouldn't screw anything up, would be to tint alternating columns in slightly different brightnesses.
That's true, alternatively for Wesnoth's bigger tables It would probably be enough to repeat the titles on the bottom though I guess that's not so nice because some of those have line-breaks.