Valkiers portraits: It's like I can touch you!

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Valkier
Art Contributor

Re: Valkiers portraits: Do they speak English in What?

Post by Valkier »

New Tallin, Morvin, Stalrag, Ro'Sothian and updated Rakshas.

This should about account for every portrait in the NR campaign. Coloring shall commence after some sleep.
Attachments
'Sothianlarge.png
'Sothianlarge.png (64.82 KiB) Viewed 3543 times
stalraglarge.png
stalraglarge.png (60.46 KiB) Viewed 3586 times
morvinlarge.png
morvinlarge.png (57.99 KiB) Viewed 3623 times
rakshaslarge.png
rakshaslarge.png (74.86 KiB) Viewed 3661 times
tallinlarge.png
tallinlarge.png (41.09 KiB) Viewed 3661 times
Last edited by Valkier on August 1st, 2010, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Win if you can. Lose if you must. But always cheat.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Morvin looks nice. Stalrag's head is maybe just a little too large, and I suspect his arms will need some refinement, but he doesn't have hands yet, so we'll see how painting goes. Tallin's looking good.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Valkier
Art Contributor

Post by Valkier »

Well, nobody said anything all day aside from TSI. I'm going to wait to start the shading for most of what you mentioned with Stalrag. It's just easier to define muscles that way at times. As for his head, it may be a tiny bit big. I waffle on that area a bit. If more people feel it needs to be smaller then I'll get that done. I think it will look smaller once the rendering starts however. But, I have been wrong before.

Anyhow, got the flat coloration done for them. Mostly just wanted to get the color schemes there for people to comment/not comment on. Some of you will notice garments have no wrinkles and such. Those details will be added during the painting process, so no need to remind me.
Attachments
tallinlarge.png
tallinlarge.png (62.18 KiB) Viewed 3421 times
stalraglarge.png
stalraglarge.png (101.43 KiB) Viewed 3421 times
'Sothianlarge.png
'Sothianlarge.png (98.05 KiB) Viewed 3421 times
rakshaslarge.png
rakshaslarge.png (127.85 KiB) Viewed 3421 times
morvinlarge.png
morvinlarge.png (85.1 KiB) Viewed 3421 times
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

Perhaps it's an illusion, but Talinn's pose makes me infer that his (invisible) left upper arm is significantly longer than his visible right upper arm. Otherwise, how could his left forearm come out from behind his body angled upwards? I think his left arm may be a smidge too long, while his right is more significantly too short.

PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

I don't like Tallin's hair color, it's just my opinion, but I think something a little darker might be better.
Dunno...
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
Valkier
Art Contributor

Post by Valkier »

Simons: Looks like you're right. I put his arm going down instead of up.

PeterPorty: I don't get to make that decision.
SFault

Post by SFault »

There's something on with Stalrags arms. They seem short. He cannot really reach to his crotch. I'm not sure about the arm lenght because the propotions seem to be correct and aligned with the belly button. Perhaps the belly button is bit high and the lower tummy is too big.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Aura

Post by Aura »

Stalrags axe's seem a little wimpy, though that could be a character/design choice, I dunno.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

@ Stalrag: I was not sure at first, but I think it's head might be about the right size, but his arms may be awfully short. You could make his shoulders a bit bulkier, his arms a bit wider and longer. As of now, he can barely reach his crotch. I think that may cause the big-head impression, because the head seems about right for the torso...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Stalrag's arms are indeed too short, so much in fact that he's verging dangerously close to the "cute" territory. The head may be too big, but what's important is that it's way too high. Dwarves shouldn't have much of neck, arms normal length but legs short, wide shoulders and barrel chest.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Valkier
Art Contributor

Post by Valkier »

I lengthened his forearms a bit as I think his elbows were probably where they should be. Also slightly shrank the head and moved it down. I'll wait till later in the day to start shading this guy with the rest then. Hopefully some nice gentlemen will be along to tell me his arms are the right length.
Attachments
stalraglarge.png
stalraglarge.png (96.72 KiB) Viewed 3165 times
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

Oh my, that's a lot of sketches! :D

Talin:
I like how your Talin looks young and innocent. But I also really liked how much attitude the current portrait has, that's due to the more imaginative costume design as well as to the expression. I hope you'll add lots of little details and a bit more expression in his face in the process. Remember he is the lead character - we will see a lot of him and it would be a pity if he got the most bland portrait!
I know his hands still need work, but the rear one is too big and possibly the elbow is too low as well.

Stalrag:
Very dwarfish! The new forearms look a lot better! But I veto against the chinese dragon tattoo - that's just not part of their culture at all. Have a look at tsi's maori-inspired dwarf tattoos.

Sothian:
Nice costume, makes me think of Amidala's robes in Star Wars… :P But seriously I think there is something wrong with perspective in this portrait - he is seen very much from above while his staff is seen exactly from the side, change wether him or his staff.

Rakshas:
You already got a lot of feedback on Rakshas from LordBob, so I'll leave that to him. But is he wearing trousers or are his legs bare?!

Morvin:
I don't remember the character anymore - but part of what culture is he supposed to be? He neither looks like our humans or wizard orders or like an elf… But apart from that he's got a nice expression! His torso/waist seems a bit undefined, just concave lines won't cut it.
Valkier
Art Contributor

Post by Valkier »

Tallin: Yes, he will be given more of an expression. I'm in a difficult position with him however, as esr wanted me to make him look like he's giving a speech. The best I can do is give him a bit of a smirk and see what happens. As for his elbow, it's been fixed in an update I just haven't posted yet.

Stalrag: I'll check out the tattoos. Thanks.

Sothian: Good point. In the interest of time, I'll just change the staff up a bit.

Rakshas: The leg thing was fixed, again, in an update I just haven't posted. The reason they aren't posted is because I want to do more to them before I waste peoples time.

Morvin: He's some immortal white mage guy from some ancient and secret order, according to what I've been told. ESR wants him and Thera to have some egyptian type clothing. Like Thera, I didn't see the benefit to clearly defining his portrait as "mage!", but rather try to emphasize that he is hundreds of years old and different. To that end, I went for more of a colorful egyptian priest of sorts. If you want me to make him more mage like, sure. I do think it will de-emphasize that he is an immortal being that has lived longer than pretty much anyone, however.
Valkier
Art Contributor

Post by Valkier »

Went through and focused on the ones with the large problems first. More will be posted as I get them up to the same point.

Tallin: I'm working on subtle ways to make him more interesting. esr wanted him to have some simple clothing for the most part, but that won't really do in a fight. I don't think I can add too incredibly much in that respect, but I'll do what I deem tasteful.

Stalrag: Got rid of the tattoo altogether for now. A more suitable one will be added in the near future.

Rakshas: He has pants in this one. I am a bit torn however, as I can't decide on what kind of metal to put on him. LordBob primarily goes with the shiny kind, albeit rusty in some places. Meanwhile the texture I worked in to Hamil's might be more suitable. Feel free to post preferences. Battle damage and scratches shall be added later regardless.
Attachments
rakshaslarge.png
rakshaslarge.png (152.05 KiB) Viewed 2995 times
tallinlarge.png
tallinlarge.png (84.5 KiB) Viewed 2995 times
stalraglarge.png
stalraglarge.png (109.34 KiB) Viewed 2995 times
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I still feel like Stalrag's arms are short, but after furter thought, it may be emphasised by the fact that his armored pants seem to be attached pretty low on his hips, which in turn might lead to his crotch being a bit low? It's hard to really make sure but... in doubt, I personnally would bring his elbows almost as low as the belt (just a bit above it, maybe), and lengthen the forearms accordingly. Shoulders still feel small. It may appear a bit overgrown afterwards, but aren,t dwarves supposed to be especially bulky, and have seemingly large/long arms proportionnately?
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth