Items

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
melinath

Re: Items

Post by melinath »

EDIT:: Because the monoliths aren't really items, I've moved them to their own thread.
Last edited by melinath on July 2nd, 2009, 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

SomeOneNamedMe wrote:
Jetryl wrote: The shadow side of an object is generally always illuminated by a secondary light source. I know it sounds unintuitive, but it's true. If it wasn't, it'd be jet black. If you can see it, there's some light illuminating it.
I get it, I'v notice that effect before.

Is there a specific thread for tuning up shadows?
Nope. It's just being done on the fly. I myself will probably end up doing most of it.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
SomeOneNamedMe

Post by SomeOneNamedMe »

I will work on it, it shouldn't be too hard, what units are already done?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

SomeOneNamedMe wrote:I will work on it, it shouldn't be too hard, what units are already done?
For a first task, try doing the human sergeant line. Post the results here; because of the nature of the project, please only post "an entire unit and all its animations" at once, in a zip file, rather than spamming the thread with individual frames.

Judging by your other work, I'm not sure if you're up to the task; the best and fairest way to find out though is to let you try.

We'll split the thread if/when you start doing this. Good luck.
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

I'm a little unclear about what the goal is with these shadow updates. I've noticed quite a few ground-shadows that need updated, but I think we're instead talking about shading on the unit sprites. I'm not really sure what the "correct" versions would look like--can you point to a unit or a line of units whose on-body shadows you would consider up to par? It sounds like you want them to simply be more blue, but that would make the sergeant line an odd choice; most of the shadows are blue anyway because that's the color those sprites primarily use. So maybe that's not what you mean.

It also strikes me as a little problematic that whatever is being done, it can't be applied to team color areas, which must be a specific hue of magenta. Is code being developed to handle that, or will those areas just have to be less well shaded?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

A-Red wrote:It also strikes me as a little problematic that whatever is being done, it can't be applied to team color areas, which must be a specific hue of magenta. Is code being developed to handle that, or will those areas just have to be less well shaded?
Not exactly, as the TC palette is a range of colors in that shade done precisely to avoid the problem you are speaking of:
Attachments
Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png (4.76 KiB) Viewed 5531 times
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

A-Red wrote:I'm a little unclear about what the goal is with these shadow updates. I've noticed quite a few ground-shadows that need updated, but I think we're instead talking about shading on the unit sprites. I'm not really sure what the "correct" versions would look like--can you point to a unit or a line of units whose on-body shadows you would consider up to par? It sounds like you want them to simply be more blue, but that would make the sergeant line an odd choice; most of the shadows are blue anyway because that's the color those sprites primarily use. So maybe that's not what you mean.

It also strikes me as a little problematic that whatever is being done, it can't be applied to team color areas, which must be a specific hue of magenta. Is code being developed to handle that, or will those areas just have to be less well shaded?
This has nothing to do with shading on units. It has everything to do with the shadows UNDER units, of which there are currently 3 styles in mainline:
ImageImageImage

Hard-edged purple, soft- and hard-edged black, all at 60% opacity. The former is the standard, the latter are both deprecated and should be replaced. Any new units are getting the purple ones. ANyone is welcome to help out changing over old style shadows on any units whose sprites aren't going to be replaced anyway... But listing exactly which ones are and aren't going to be replaced would be...challenging... to say the least, so you're probably better off asking about specific units before you do any work.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Having just checked, the colour is #160034.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Does it really matter if it isn't that exact color? I mean, no one notices the difference if it's similar, but not the same.
Check out my sprites!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Not to any great extent, but we would prefer have just the one standard for such things - it's an equal amount of work to pick that colour as any other colour, so why not use that one...
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Yeah, well, I just wanted to ask. Thanks for answering. :)
Check out my sprites!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

It's also important because if everyone uses that EXACT color, then we can batch-modify all the shadows at once, with a script (should we choose to change them). If people don't use that exact color, though, we can't do that.
melinath

Post by melinath »

Still trying to get the bones item better... here's the current version, which I admittedly haven't touched for a while, but apparently never posted. I'm afraid I may have used too much transparency.
Attachments
bones_on_grass.png
bones_on_grass.png (10.67 KiB) Viewed 4470 times
bones.png
bones.png (2.6 KiB) Viewed 4470 times
lostnumber

Post by lostnumber »

better then your first try but personally I dont see whats wrong with the original, and I prefer that over your version.