Canyons

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Dacyn wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote:One unrealistic thing: Walking Corpse Plagues a Gryphon Rider in a Canyon. There is now a Walking Corpes in a canyon, and it can get out easily.
the same thing can happen with Deep Water...
Yes, but Deep Water is not something that it seems a unit should be in, or something that a unit should not be able to get out of. A unit in a canyon seems it should not be able to get out easily, and the canyon's vertical nature will make nonflying units on it look weird.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
autolycus

Post by autolycus »

A canyon hex, to me, is probably like a negative mountain to enter or leave. Dwarves would probably do well in it too. Since you can treat a negative mountain just like a positive one, no need for a canyon hex. But if it's in CVS already (it is, yes?) leave it... think of it as an underground railroad I guess. Make it look more like a gorge.
as kingfishers catch fire
so dragonflies draw flame
-GMH
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Elvish Pillager wrote:[Deep Water is not something that it seems a unit should be in
Exactly!
Elvish Pillager wrote:or something that a unit should not be able to get out of.
I don't see the difference between canyon and deep water except that one is filled with water. How would water help a Walking Corpse get out of it?
AT

swm

Post by AT »

Can't corpses swim/float?

And whats the point of this discussion?
Gandalf-"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the Shadow. You cannot pass!"
AT- "That sounds like more trouble than it's worth."
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

A possible solution is to make it that plague can't create units in terrain that those units can't move to.

But I don't think it's a major issue anyhow.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Or we need to make a walking corpse version of every unit.
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

I remade most of the canyon graphics such as they tile smoothly with each other. I should be done by tomorrow with it.
In all the time I have played I saw a unit transformed into walking corpse only once...and it was because I voluntary let it happen to see it. The chance a walking corpse kills a flying unit over a canyon is rather slim. Even if it is the case, so what? you have a walking corpse that can go on the other side of the canyon. If it really trouble people, it could be set up to make a bat instead. Maybe any flying unit killed by walking corpse on any terrain should comes back as a bat.
I don't think the canyon is a reverse mountain, it's a very steep double cliff. No land unit should be able to cross it without special equipment (ropes and pikes) that it would not carry in war time. But in a scenario, one could make an object (rope) allowing a single unit to cross a canyon.
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

how about, instead of coming back as a bat, it just dies? I like that idea much better, mostly because I hate those bats...
Roel

Post by Roel »

Jetryl wrote:how about, instead of coming back as a bat, it just dies? I like that idea much better, mostly because I hate those bats...
yes, it changes into a zombie and then it fals to death
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Roel wrote:yes, it changes into a zombie and then it fals to death
but then it could only be applied to units flying over deep water, and not flying units in general.
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

The new canyons with smooth tiling are finished. I tried to send them to Ayin but the server answered that both Ayin and me are over the limits of attached documents even though mine is only 4% full. I will try to post the zip file here on tomorrow. Then I will do some hills transitions that do not fall in the canyons. They should be usefull too for village and castle.
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
autolycus

Post by autolycus »

Christophe33 wrote:I don't think the canyon is a reverse mountain, it's a very steep double cliff. No land unit should be able to cross it without special equipment (ropes and pikes) that it would not carry in war time. But in a scenario, one could make an object (rope) allowing a single unit to cross a canyon.
Actually, depends on your scale. If a hex representing mountains can be scaled by anything short of heavy infantry, it makes sense that a hex representing canyon (unless with really fast rapids below, like a gorge) should be traversable with about the same effort. You'll need special equipment for mountains too...

Going down a double cliff is probably a bit easier than going up a double cliff, but going down into a canyon x feet deep and up again is probably not that much different from going up and down a mountain. If the mountain is really high, you get altitude problems and cold, but for a really deep canyon, there's this really high vertical climb to get out of it.

Come to think of it, an engineer-type unit would probably be better at going across a canyon than a mountain - you would have to drill through the mountain to have a route as quick as making a rope bridge across the canyon. But since Wesnoth's timescale assumes you can merrily spend 2 MP and cross mountains (or 1 if dwarf), canyons should be easier.

I suggest you make them look more threatening then... put a river at the bottom or something, or make them look more jagged, more intimidating, more a sheer drop from the edge of the hex.
as kingfishers catch fire
so dragonflies draw flame
-GMH
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

autolycus wrote:Going down a double cliff is probably a bit easier than going up a double cliff, but going down into a canyon x feet deep and up again is probably not that much different from going up and down a mountain. If the mountain is really high, you get altitude problems and cold, but for a really deep canyon, there's this really high vertical climb to get out of it.
It's not that simple. You can't just go down a cliff and go up the other, because there is no ground to cross between them in the middle. Not for a long way down, anyway.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

autolycus wrote:Going down a double cliff is probably a bit easier than going up a double cliff, but going down into a canyon x feet deep and up again is probably not that much different from going up and down a mountain. If the mountain is really high, you get altitude problems and cold, but for a really deep canyon, there's this really high vertical climb to get out of it.

Come to think of it, an engineer-type unit would probably be better at going across a canyon than a mountain - you would have to drill through the mountain to have a route as quick as making a rope bridge across the canyon. But since Wesnoth's timescale assumes you can merrily spend 2 MP and cross mountains (or 1 if dwarf), canyons should be easier.
All this anylisis is missing the point. Map designers want a terrain impassible to land units. No such terrain exists on earth. However, a chasm with the bottom lost in darkness looks impassible. It's not about being scary. Its about not having a visible path from one side to another. A visible bottom (as has already been discussed on the other canyon forum) of any kind makes it look easier to cross.

IMO Chasm-crossing engineers seem like a pretty dumb unit to add to the factions, unless its for a special scenario.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

If something has a cliffside to steep to climb; and goes down so low you can't even see the bottom; you' would not make it to the other side without technology at your side.