Underground terrains

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Christophe33

Underground terrains

Post by Christophe33 »

Here are some of my underground terrains.
The stalagmits should acts like mountains. They have simple transitions (some more stalagmits that will overlay other terrain including water).

I made only one tile of fungal forest for the moment but more variation can be done when the style is final.
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

Here are some varaints for the underground hills equivalent: either an underground hill or piles of rubble (or both).
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

A possible cliff-abyss transition. I haven't determine yet how to set up a cliff transition toward the abyss. I'm using the canyon cliff of course but I don't know the way to set up a transition "any land"-> abyss such as the cliff part ends up only/mostly in the abyss part.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

They look good other than forest and hills. The fungal forest looks ridiculous. The mushrooms look like seashells on the end of pencils. The hills are too tall.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

The image looks somewhat different than whe I made then on photoshop. The mushrooms are far lighter colored. Do you prefer wider and rounder mushrooms? Yes the hill might be somewhat too tall considering we are underground. I might try piles of boulders too, like leftover from mining.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I like the boulders and rubble. Scale is often undefined, but I tend to think of caves as being a smaller scale than the outdoors, so stalagmites, and rubble make more sense to me than underground hills.

Now certainly there are games like the Exile/Avernum series that have huge mile long caves, so you could have underground maps on a large scale, but when I play wesnoth, I think of smaller caves, so I think that you don't need to exactly copy the outdoor terrain features (like hills), but instead you should make other terrain types that act the same. Rubble could act as hills, Stalagmites could act as a forest. I'm not sure how about the mushroom forest, the mushrooms would have to be a lot bigger.

One good example are the mushroom forests on Draenor in Warcraft 2: Beyond the Dark Portal.
Bander

Post by Bander »

Yeah, your second two posts are a lot better than the first one. The hills and rubble and abyss are sweet. The Shroom forest should be seen from the top. See more caps and less stems. And the stalactites look too much like the bottom or a spiked pit, like in MORTAL KOMBAT. We don't need any of that.
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

Yes the scale is not really defined but probably smaller than outdoor. However it doesn't mean there can't be underground hills even if they are far smaller than outdoor one. The caves I visited had very few flat surfaces and a lot of up and down. But I agree that I have to redo the hills. Using alias it is very easy to make the indoor terrains equivalent to outdoor one. It might be preferable to give them some specific proterties but it is easier to start with something tested in term of mvt and defence and then to modify it. So I would prefer to introduce the new underground terrain quickly, as alias of known terrain and then do changes if required from test.
TuxVader

Post by TuxVader »

I think they all look pretty cool. :D
Now if we could just get a good cave wall terrain.....
Dark penguin of the sith.
Bander

Post by Bander »

The hills do look pretty gigantic on second glace. They look good though. They could be bot so much hills so much as really rugged terrain like if you took a stormy sea and froze it then turned it to dirt. Overall even with flat ground but crazy contoured like what you've got now.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Yes the shrooms should be top-view instead, this looks varry unrealistic.
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

Neoriceisgood wrote:Yes the shrooms should be top-view instead, this looks varry unrealistic.
Then they'll look nothing like mushrooms, just round blobs. It's a difficult call because the warped perspective is necessary to articulate the content.
Free Gamer - free games compendium & commentary
FreeGameDev - free game development community
autolycus

Post by autolycus »

The 'shrooms might look more 'shroom-like if they were mostly shades of brown and grey in colour. You could probably make them look realistic without showing their undersides by using lighting effects to bring out their shape. And make them smaller so they don't look so bizarre. After all, they shouldn't take up mush room. :)
as kingfishers catch fire
so dragonflies draw flame
-GMH
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

It is difficult to have "realistic" giant mushroom :). The one I draw looks like the one I picked up in my garden. I could go for a mushrrom with really wide base like the shriker of old RPG (computer and board game). I do intend to have a poisonous mushroom that would mix with some of the more innocent one.
Some says they should be taller, some smaller, so the heigh is probably right :). Don't forget that taller means less mushroom per hex and shorter means it can't really justify hidding units. I will change the colors though to havethem less bright and will increase the shading.
Bander

Post by Bander »

Same hight, thicker base, bigger caps and new colors. Make em look like the ones you buy at the store, but bigger. I really love the mushroom forest Idea. Make em blue or pink or bright orange or something. We shouln't see the base that much at all. And I donno, give em spots.