The sky is the limit...

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Christophe33

The sky is the limit...

Post by Christophe33 »

While playing with pictures having some sky I had to idea to include some sky as terrain usable only for flying units. Also the upper part of the map could be lined with some sky, specially the fake half hex. It could enhance the perspective. A variant of that would be that the box with info on the top of the map could be overlayed on a sky picture/drawing instead of the basic dark grey we have right now.
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Just make a canyon filled with clouds, where flying and ultra-light creatures could move.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Re: The sky is the limit...

Post by Eleazar »

Christophe33 wrote: It could enhance the perspective.
Um, i'd have to see an example, but it sounds like it would destroy the perspective, and look really odd. Unless we are talking about a map so high up that all you see below is clouds?
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

Neoriceisgood wrote:Just make a canyon filled with clouds, where flying and ultra-light creatures could move.
canyon is already a flying unit only terrain (or will be when included), so the sky could be an alias of it if wanted as a true terrain. But have some sky on the top of the map ffor aesthetic effect would be cool too, specially if it included the day/nights effect , thus save places on the side were the time of the day is presently indicated.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Bad idea. It would destroy the perspective. Remember we're looking down on the units and the terrain, not across at a horizon. You shouldn't be able to see the horizon or sky, as it would get confusing.
telex4

Post by telex4 »

You could have floating clouds when you zoom far out ;)
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

quartex wrote:Bad idea. It would destroy the perspective. Remember we're looking down on the units and the terrain, not across at a horizon. You shouldn't be able to see the horizon or sky, as it would get confusing.
That would be true only for a pure top down view witch is not that we use. A narrow ban of sky on the top (plus maybe a sky background for the text above the map) should not destroy the perspective but enhance it.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Christophe33 wrote:That would be true only for a pure top down view
Incorrect. Our isometric view looks down only, and the sky is up. There can be no sky.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Integral

Post by Integral »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Christophe33 wrote:That would be true only for a pure top down view
Incorrect. Our isometric view looks down only, and the sky is up. There can be no sky.
You could see the sky if there was a very sharp, deep drop in the landscape; for instance, if the level took place on the edge of a high plateau. (you might still not be able to "realistically" see it, but I think the eye would accept it -- eg, some console RPGs used this to provide a sense of "height" to tall buildings and mountains)

Daniel
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Yeah I don't think this would work since we use an orthographic, rather than perspective view.

Of course, anyone is welcome to post an example :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Integral wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote: Incorrect. Our isometric view looks down only, and the sky is up. There can be no sky.
You could see the sky if there was a very sharp, deep drop in the landscape; for instance, if the level took place on the edge of a high plateau. (you might still not be able to "realistically" see it, but I think the eye would accept it -- eg, some console RPGs used this to provide a sense of "height" to tall buildings and mountains)

Daniel
e.g think zelda. And ofttimes, said sky was not quite that, but a view of far-away/far-below land.

However, it would be nice for any "castle in the clouds" type scenarios, where you are in some floating city high in the air.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Yes, a castle in the clouds, or having clouds with units on them floating across the landscape would be very interesting.

How many final fantasy type games have we seen with floating castles (I'm thinking legend of mana and others) that are on floating islands and contain demons that terrorize the land? I can imagine a scenario like that which could be cool.
Bander

Post by Bander »

I really like that idea. But it is kind of really well used with the flying fortresses in every single rpg ever. It still would be cool though. but would it be Wesnothish?
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Bander wrote:I really like that idea. But it is kind of really well used with the flying fortresses in every single rpg ever. It still would be cool though. but would it be Wesnothish?
Probably not. I'm not suggesting it for a core campaign, but if someone wanted to create a different world with floating islands, it might work. But I agree that it doesn't fit into the world of wesnoth.
Bander

Post by Bander »

That sounds really cool, but you have to have the sky look like it's whizzing around with clouds and stuff. animate it like water. I don't know if you could, but it can look awesome.