Delfador's Memoirs portraits

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: Delfador's Memoirs (about to go mainline)

Post by LordBob »

With any luck I might have lineart ready within a week. Shading, on the other hand, wouldn't happen before a month (7 rider portraits are left to shade).
Instead I don't mind if Justin does the shading, what I see with the guardian tells me you're good at rendering :)
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
JustinOperable
Art Contributor

Post by JustinOperable »

I'm all about getting the job done. I'll gladly do the shading if that's what ESR wants. And I'll be sure to ape your style as closely as possible to keep the style consistent. But I'll just as soon work on other stuff and wait for the awesomeness you churn out.

ps ESR: I sketched a Wose and put it up on my personal thread. I intend for it to be a generic wose portrait, but I'm sure it'll work for the Wose in the campaign as well.
Creative Commons Fantasy Portrait Marathon!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/131 ... t-marathon
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

Nice progress on the tomb guardian! The current blue looks much better, and the subtle texture is a nice touch, too.
But you need to put some more thought in the shading of the right side (the darker one) of the face. The lighting especially doesn't make sense around the eye and the wrinkle extending down from the nose. Imagine the planes of the face and the way the light hits them.
JustinOperable
Art Contributor

Post by JustinOperable »

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I'll take a look at it. What do you see as wrong with the shade side wrinkles? I figured a little light would still be hitting the top place, so I put a lower value highlight in the same way as the light side. I have no problem fixing it, but could you elaborate on what you mean? Keep in mind there is supposed to be a strong reflected light.

esr
Retired Developer

Re: Delfador's Memoirs (new in mainline - artists needed!)

Post by esr »

Yup, that'll do it. Committing shortly, and removing the Tomb Guardian portrait from the task list.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I'll take a look at it. What do you see as wrong with the shade side wrinkles? I figured a little light would still be hitting the top place, so I put a lower value highlight in the same way as the light side. I have no problem fixing it, but could you elaborate on what you mean? Keep in mind there is supposed to be a strong reflected light.
I read your shading on the mask as the main light comming directly from the left plus some general backlight. (If you intend a radically different light situation you need to make it clearer, too :P )
If that is the case you cannot have a shadow at the left (all directions from our point of view) side of the nose's ridge. And you need a darker shading inside the right eye's eyesocket - and you should give the right eyelid some more form and not just flat colour - it should be shaped like a hemisphere. And for the wrinkel extending down form the nose - imagine the jaw part of the skull as a ball, then you can see that the gradient on the right side of the "ball" (between nose, philtrum, mouth and wrinkle) would follow the opposite direction you drew it - it would become darker not lighter. On the other hand the wrinkle sits on top of this ball and should therefore receive more light.
Hope that helps...
esr
Retired Developer

Post by esr »

JustinOperable, I'll certainly take an update of the Tomb Guardian if you tune it as per Kitty's instructions, but I think it looks more than OK as it is. It actually looks better in situ than it did on the forums here - the glow around the mask and the ioun stones looks super good against the dialog box and dungeon background.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I bow respectfully in your direction.

I'm interested in the Wose portrait when you have something ready to show.

Do you have any interest in doing an Oracle? Here's my visualization: generic human figure in hooded robes, face obscured in shadow (or perhaps a blindfold is visible). Pose is neutral, standing, arms crossed X-fashion over the heart in what some occult traditions call the Sign of Osiris Risen. Robes are white, bringing to mind a Mage of Light, but with colored trim - different color for each of four variants. I'm not particular about the colors but they should probably have Earth/Air/Fire/Water associations. Add arcane-looking symbols to taste.

LordBob, yes, I'm interested in your linework for Lionel, and yes I expect JustinOperable can render it just fine.
JustinOperable
Art Contributor

Post by JustinOperable »

I may take a crack at some of Kittys suggestions and I'll repost if I do. Is there any way you could maybe post a screenshot of An-Usrukhar in game? I'd like to see how it looks.

As for my Wose, it's here, on my personal thread. You can take a look at me working on it and the suggestions I've thus far received (it also has my great troll wip):
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=120

As for the Oracle, I could maybe try something out. Would it be one image with different trim and coloring or four different portraits, one for each? And what of Lleolyn?

I await LordBobs armor expertise, and if he wants I will gladly try and render it.

santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Just a question on the mages: Is it a higher priority to have a portrait of the oracles or Sagus? The oracles may actually have more lines, but Sagus's role in the campaign is probably more important.
esr
Retired Developer

Post by esr »

santi wrote:Just a question on the mages: Is it a higher priority to have a portrait of the oracles or Sagus? The oracles may actually have more lines, but Sagus's role in the campaign is probably more important.
It's about even, I'd say. Oops...better add that to the needs list.
esr
Retired Developer

Post by esr »

JustinOperable wrote:As for the Oracle, I could maybe try something out. Would it be one image with different trim and coloring or four different portraits, one for each?
I think one portrait in a ritualistic pose with four different trim colors will do, especially if the face is obscured or blindfolded - which I think would be appropriate here.
And what of Lleolyn?
If you want to attempt this I will try to be a helpful customer. Nobody else has taken it on yet.
JustinOperable
Art Contributor

Post by JustinOperable »

Alright, sorry for the silence. Here's a quick rough of what I'm thinking about for the oracle. Each oracle will have different colored robes with different patterns and symbols on the trim. Also the beard and hair from oracle to oracle can be slightly different. What do you think? I want to get the base set before I start doing heavy rendering and personalization of each of the four.
Attachments
Oracle.png

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Looks reasonable, but he should either be standing or it should be clear that he's levitating - currently it just looks like he's a little unstable. And his eye-cloth shouldn't conform that much to the shape of his nose/eye sockets, unless it has some form of shaping to make it do so - otherwise it should just stand straight across his sockets iyswim. Photo reference would be useful there.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

I found one for reference:
Ehhhh... don't mind me, I'm just the annoying little modder who gets on peoples nerves. I'll just lurk till Someone says my name. :P

Oh, and also Creator of The War Of Terrador
JustinOperable
Art Contributor

Post by JustinOperable »

Another WIP, let me know what you guys think. I'm going for a two light scheme, one with a very obvious red color influence.
Attachments
Oracle.png