Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Cuttle Fish

Post by beetlenaut »

That's a nicely drawn cuttlefish (so far), but I agree with Sapient that it should look more aggressive and monstrous than they look in real life.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Sapient wrote:I don't think this is a workable model. Even though it is named Cuttlefish, it is an aggressive, overgrown giant more akin to the mythical Kraken. So, IMO head should be made smaller and tentacles should be larger, to emphasize this extra growth.
Well, the head is mostly made of tentacles. Mythical kraken was an octopus or squid, according to Wikipedia at least.

I went ahead a little further none-the-less. It's still a work in progress, I don't really know how to draw the water being flung off the tentacles yet.
Attachments
cuttlefish.jpg
cuttlefish.jpg (60.32 KiB) Viewed 4290 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

This should definitely be mainlined. Awesome! The cuttlefish has always been a favourite since dead water's inky!
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

I am not sure if the stone in the front is adding value. There might be a point in turning the art anti clock wise. Filling the lower left triangle with water and adding water splash to the endings on the lower right side of the portrait for finishing would be great too.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Wussel wrote:I am not sure if the stone in the front is adding value.
A better sense of scale, maybe? If that plank by the rock is from a ship, then the cuttlefish is pretty huge.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code