The Hammer of Thursagan portrait repaints

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Lord-Knightmare
Forum Regular
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: The Hammer of Thursagan portrait repaints

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Nice portraits! But could you please put some decorations on their shields to differentiate them further.

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

He's already said he's going to. Read threads in future before responding.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.

DUHH
Art Contributor

Post by DUHH »

As per usual: Sorry for the delays. Life, life, life...

Just started differentiating Masked Dwarf #1. Spiked helmet, red beard, evil axe.

Any ideas for symbols on shield and belt? Each masked dwarf should get their own symbol, I think.
Attachments
Masked01a copy.png
Masked01a copy.png (187.07 KiB) Viewed 5221 times

octalot
Developer

Post by octalot »

That dwarf looks scary, even unarmed.

Masked Dwarves #1 and #2 appear in scenario 8 (the map with the wave of ulfs), a couple of scenarios before Karrag is unmasked. All four portraits appear in the final map.

My suggestions for the shields:
#1 and #2: a fist wearing an evil-looking gauntlet, like in the Orc portraits.
#3 and #4: Karrag's gauntlet, and the central rune-pattern from Karrag's chest.
Currently updating the SurvivalXtreme Collection, and the SXC Pressure scenario. That's about a mermish necromancer, who's just found out that her Tentacles Of The Deep have been nerfed.

Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Maybe a skull, a mask, or two bloody axes crossing each other? :twisted:

esr
Retired Developer

Post by esr »

Campaign author here.

All the suggestions for symbols made so far work for me.

These dwarves are racist xenophobes. Artists should think of them as a dwarven equivalent of the Ku Klux Klan and design symbols appropriately. For example, a blazing torch would also work.

Also bear in mind that by choosing to go masked they are doing a thing that is deeply perverted by dwarven standards - the equivalent of criminal insanity, rather than just criminality.

DUHH
Art Contributor

Post by DUHH »

Thanks for the great comments!

ESR: Sorry about not updating you more often. Too many things going on at once.

Anyhow... Small update:
Attachments
Masked01b.png
Masked01b.png (205.34 KiB) Viewed 4775 times

DUHH
Art Contributor

Post by DUHH »

Progress. Nearing finished for this dwarf?

Also... Quick sketch for the 4 different symbols. All relating to the hammer, and being sorta rough.
Attachments
Masked01c.png
Masked01c.png (209.75 KiB) Viewed 4507 times
MaskedSymbols.jpg
MaskedSymbols.jpg (62.86 KiB) Viewed 4507 times

Boldek

Post by Boldek »

I think you should stick with the fist, it gives a pleasant fascist/commy feel to these guys, while something garish like a drooling skull reminds the player too much of undead.
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild

Shinobody

Post by Shinobody »

So, first thing: yes, all relate to a hammer... But the Hammer looks different. It is not cavalry hammer with hook on the other end, it's two-sided runesmith's hammer. I guess 90% of these fanatics haven't seen the hammer they are ready to give their lives for, but it still gives player a false clue.
Fist is good idea, since it has become shorthand for "This nation is Nazi Germany. Strength through purity. Heil /our great leader/"
In Wesnoth universe, flame does NOT mean "agressive/totalitarianism". I mean, Spectre of Fire is symbol of the good guys.
Skulls have one thing not right: orcs do not have big fangs sticking out of their mouths. Nor do goblins or trolls. Only ogres do, but this is a bit too small thing for dwarves to care.

Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Shinobody wrote:So, first thing: yes, all relate to a hammer... But the Hammer looks different. It is not cavalry hammer with hook on the other end, it's two-sided runesmith's hammer.
Oh, rly?

AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Shinobody wrote:Skulls have one thing not right: orcs do not have big fangs sticking out of their mouths. Nor do goblins or trolls. Only ogres do, but this is a bit too small thing for dwarves to care.
Nope, but they *do* have fangs. Skulls lack lips, so they will be visible.

Xalzar

Post by Xalzar »

Shinobody wrote:
So, first thing: yes, all relate to a hammer... But the Hammer looks different. It is not cavalry hammer with hook on the other end, it's two-sided runesmith's hammer.

Pewskeepski wrote:
Oh, rly?
People we have a problem... Are we sure we are talking of the same hammer? :lol2:

Joram

Post by Joram »

Quick comment from the peanut gallery: Three of your proposed symbols (#1, #2, #4) are very centered/symmetric. It makes #3 (the one where the hammer is bashing the skull) feel a little out of place due to its non-symmetrical nature. Of course, you're never going to see the symbols lined up this way in the campaign, so it's probably not a big deal, even if everyone did agree with me.

The only suggestion for a replacement that I can come up with would be a close-up of the head of the hammer with blood dripping off of it or something.

Oh, one other thought that just occurred to me. Maybe instead of flames on #4, you could have lighting? Some sort of blue, jagged, lighting things coming out of it towards the edges. I think it would probably come across as a little more aggressive/we will kill you.

Loving the artwork.
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book

Shinobody

Post by Shinobody »

Actually, Thursagan's Hammer always was square-sided maul, not horseman's pick. Look at campaign icon.* (Or Karrag's sprite). Or old Karrag's portrait. Or (shown here) Thursagan's portrait.
In fact, new Karrag's portrait is ONLY place where it appears as "pick" version.
I mean, I remember that author of SoF repaints even wanted this hammer to be recognizable in HoT, to give player "spot-check" clue. Ironic, isn't it?
* - It seems it is that one.
EDIT: Just occured to me: Skull IS very good idea. It foreshadows fact that guy IS A LICH.