Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: My Terrain (Mine!)

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks, guys.

I'm posting the image files I have for now in case there is some need to test layouts or design. They are still mostly pencil and need some touch-up, but they are roughly what they will be, I think. The WML I used was pretty straightforward (it made the new transition work for earthy chasm only):
WML & files
wood-chasm.tgz
(35 KiB) Downloaded 205 times

Code: Select all

[terrain_graphics]
        [tile]   
            x=0  
            y=0
            type=Qxe
            set_flag=ground-tl,ground-tr,ground-bl,ground-br,ground-r,ground-l
        [/tile]
    [/terrain_graphics]

{WALL_TRANSITION_LF   Qxe              (!,Qx*,Xv,_off^_usr)                -390  ground_lower  chasm/earthy}

{TERRAIN_BASE_LF                Iwr                                  -389      raised_base               interior/wood-regular}

{NEW:TRANSITION   (Iwr)   (Qxe)   -85  cave/chasm_transitions/wood-regular}

BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

Looks great. What about Lava chasm?
Try out the dark board theme.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Shiki wrote:Looks great. What about Lava chasm?
oh, i got an idea about that, how about having the plank edges a bit burned (darkened)?
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

ForestDragon wrote:
Shiki wrote:Looks great. What about Lava chasm?
oh, i got an idea about that, how about having the plank edges a bit burned (darkened)?
screenshot - I'll delete this once the little wood-border project is done
EDIT: removed obsolete image
I think a degree of subtlety is good, for transition with non-burned sections, and because maybe the burned parts can double as just "ruined".
Last edited by doofus-01 on August 15th, 2016, 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Gyra_Solune

Post by Gyra_Solune »

That looks reeeeeeeally nice, and I can see some very creative applications looking excellent with it. A manor being devoured by some necromancer's unspeakable spell comes to mind from this.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

speaking of manors: the usual ideas for an 'undead themed village' is haunted villa, cemetery or crypts. Have got an different 'ancient* barrow hill' idea, it would not necessarily be hill shaped, instead will put wesnoth's 2d nature to an good use, as it would look like an doorgate decorated around with runestones, carved into a cliff, but through clever usage of curving on said cliff parts could look natural and blend in to the environment.

*: ancient as in being of non-human origin, possibly elven/dwarven. what had inspire me to this was the scenario in South Guard where protagonists arrive in the elven valley where is said the elf elders go to nearing the end of their lives. Thought there would be some tombs belonging to the elvish ancestors. where are they getting all these skeletons from, anyways ?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Gyra_Solune wrote:That looks reeeeeeeally nice, and I can see some very creative applications looking excellent with it. A manor being devoured by some necromancer's unspeakable spell comes to mind from this.
Yeah, I think more interesting interior maps would be possible if this wooden floor terrain had more visual options available.

I currently see four transition types:
1. Default - the ones currently in use, good for most wood/flat transitions
2. Clean - the WIP version (posted below) with wooden rims and stone pillars - good for intentional cliffs or docks?
3. Regular - more ramshackle version of clean, could be damaged or could be regular wood-chasm.
4. Burnt - transition with lava or intentional damage and rot (some undead thing?)

The base wood terrain can have two or three versions to enable that, if the neighbour terrain rules aren't enough to distinguish.
screenshot
EDIT: removed obsolete image
Eagle_11 wrote:speaking of manors: the usual ideas for an 'undead themed village' is haunted villa, cemetery or crypts [...]
ancient as in being of non-human origin, possibly elven/dwarven [...]
The undead tend to be based on humans (or bats?). If there were stocky midget skeletons or something, that could be cool. As for the rune thing, it's entirely possible to make a campaign specific graphic that doesn't need transitions, just one simple image that overlays a mountain image. Give it a try. :)
Last edited by doofus-01 on August 15th, 2016, 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

whatever you do, be sure to use 2 with water.

edit: In fact, it could get duplicated to be used with stone texture as 'Regular Cobbles to water' transition, so can build hewn canals and stone docks.
Last edited by Eagle_11 on August 14th, 2016, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Looking good! People would mostlikely use it for ships too.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Here is a working revision. The folder is to be placed in images/terrain. I've altered the terrain-graphics.cfg to get it to (mostly) work, the attached file is an edited version of the 1.13.5 file. The terrain.cfg file also needs to be edited to add the old wooden floor variant
terrain.cfg

Code: Select all

#
#    ## Interior ##
#

[terrain_type]
    name= _ "Wooden Floor"
    id=wood_floor
    symbol_image=interior/wood-regular
    editor_name= _ "Basic Wooden Floor"
    string=Iwr
    aliasof=Gt
    editor_group=flat
[/terrain_type]

[terrain_type]
    name= _ "Old Wooden Floor"
    id=old_wood_floor
    symbol_image=interior/wood-regular
    editor_name= _ "Old Wooden Floor"
    string=Ior
    aliasof=Gt
    editor_group=flat
[/terrain_type]

screenshot
wood-shot.jpg
There are some glitches, for example the tri-terrain case where lava and chasm interact with each other. The pillar fade also needs work, but I need to figure out something that looks OK for both water and chasm.
Attachments
terrain-graphics.cfg
(53.22 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
wood-chasm.tgz
(136.98 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Looking *sweet* :D
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Gyra_Solune

Post by Gyra_Solune »

Oh, that is incredibly clever, having the wood floor double as a dock or boardwalk or so. Very nice, and I like that as a solution much more than using bridges, it's a lot more flexible!
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

such a masterpiece deserves being commited, since the wood transition used to be a bit strange sometimes before
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks.

I think slight changes to a few of the images helps a bit, as far as the pillar fade. I'm attaching the three images I changed. The lava-chasm-wood glitch is still there, but I don't want to waste more time on that while the future of contributions is hazy.*

I also started a fireplace, intended as a terrain-compatible overlay, rather than a dedicated terrain. The lit version would be more interesting, but need to get the static bits right first.
screenshot
wood-shot_20160820.png
tweaked images
wood-clean-n-ne.png
wood-clean-n-ne.png (3.56 KiB) Viewed 3824 times
wood-clean-n.png
wood-clean-n.png (2.54 KiB) Viewed 3824 times
wood-clean-ne.png
wood-clean-ne.png (2.3 KiB) Viewed 3824 times
[*] - It seems that aside from zookeeper, or maybe vultraz, there is nobody home here, as far as "management", and this isn't their primary role. Is there a better way to do this? A git pull request is the only other way I can think of, but that seems hardly any easier for the project members, and is more complicated for contributors, so that does not help.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

A GitHub pull request is actually a really, really good idea (assuming you have a clone of the repository). It makes it really easy for us to review and merge changes. If you're done with this, though, zookeeper or I could commit it directly.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?