Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: My Terrain (Mine!)

Post by zookeeper »

Since the water animations already force redraws, having additional animations affecting the same hexes shouldn't really affect performance, as long as the frame intervals are the same. Basically, the time it takes to redraw a hex is the same regardless of whether it happens because of one animation or several. The only thing that would hurt performance would be if the additional animations caused redraws to happen more often, but that doesn't need to be the case here.

Currently, the water animation frames are 100ms long and have random_start=no, so if the water-on-walls animations do the same, they'll play nicely in sync and there shouldn't be any problem with that.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

OK, so maybe I'll get them animated after all. But not in time for 1.13.6.

Speaking of which, if the deadline for that is still this weekend, I should mention that the stone walls have been revised to be cleaned up a bit, and have rough cave wall transitions. There is still a little more to do, but I think it could be used without looking broken. Wall decoration overlays might need to be adjusted a bit though, but I think that's just a UMC thing.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

The release is now tentatively planned for end of the month.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Oh, well, I guess that's good. In a way.

I think the walls are close enough to done now, and I've got a door and gate impassable terrain. The north/south facing doors are a bit problematic, since I don't want to put them on the edge of the hex, but that's where they look best. This is the current layout in the PR:
Spoiler:
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Those are cool. But I think you need two versions of the north/south door. One for cave tunnels, where the door can't be any wider, and a wider one for everywhere else.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Try fiting the door facing S on the line between 2 hexes, instead in the middle of hex. The stone wall to cave transition looks nice.
The dungeon cell gate needs angle adjustment so they line up in one continous line when 2x 2-tile wide are adjacent.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

hi, could you make a transition for cases like this:

Code: Select all

w             w
            d
w means wall, d means door
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

doors_20161022.jpg
This is the current status. The shading isn't done, especially on the wooden "pillars" that flank the doors. And I haven't started the wooden diagonal versions.
EDIT: I should mention that I'm not really happy with the n/s facing doors, and suspect the concept isn't really compatible with the current hex system. Placing the door right on the horizontal borders is no good because it makes it unclear which hex is impassible. I'm leaning towards just dropping them.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

The N/S doors won't work visually unless there's walls to the left and right, but we can include them nevertheless. You also couldn't chain them the way you seem to allow for diagonal walls to be chained (without an extra set of special connections between them), but that's fine too. That said, I'd think no one would lose sleep if we only had the diagonal versions.

Also, if we're going to make these a core terrain, then we need to account for what gates are for: opening them. One can of course just make them disappear (by changing the terrain) when opened, but especially with chained diagonal gates that would look weird. So, basically, each one should have also an "open" version. The only reasonable way to do that currently seems to be to just have two versions of each terrain, open and closed, with only the closed one being impassable and the open one acting as an embellishment only.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

zookeeper wrote:That said, I'd think no one would lose sleep if we only had the diagonal versions.
Thank God for that. It makes things much simpler, and the open/closed gate thing should not be much of an issue. Let's see what the next 24 hrs brings.
Attachments
doors2_20161022.jpg
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

For what it's worth, I haven't had a look at our underground terrains in ages but this is really starting to look like a nice dungeon setting I'd d love to run an adventure in ^_^
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks, LordBob. (Just to be clear, I didn't draw the stone walls, I just 'repackaged' the existing ones, and drew some transitions.)

Not that some touch-ups wouldn't be warranted at some point, but I think this is ready to merge, I'll comment in the PR when I'm done here.
1. I've given up on the idea of ~BLIT()'ing the pillars and just baked them in to a "long" version.
2. There is no "long version" for the N/S facing, it is just the single image, and it should only show up in the straight, vertical passages of the stone walls (Xo*).
3. There are open-door versions, so 4 terrains in this PR. (Hopefully there will be more, but not for now.)
4. The default image is SE facing with pillar, as can be seen in a couple of glitchy instances in the screen-shot. Maybe a different image should be default, but I think the glitches only occur where it makes no sense to put a portal anyway. Unless I missed something.
screen-shot:
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

wooden door open nw-se doesnt look really connected to the wall.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

The previous pull request got merged, but there are obviously some transitions that were missing. I've just put up https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/pull/848 for some of those missing images. First is a default wall-castle transition. The images aren't finished (they are too sharp right now), but here is a screen-shot that shows the design:
Spoiler:
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I have a WIP of an alternate solution to the castles<->walls problems, which I think would work even with the stone walls (not quite as well as with cave walls, but adequately anyway). There's some layering glitches to work out, especially with stone walls, but I think this would be a better solution than new sets of corner tiles if it works out.
Attachments
castletocavewallprogress3.jpg