My Terrain (Mine!)

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ForestDragon

Re: My Terrain (Mine!)

Post by ForestDragon »

good job there. Doofus :D these merfolk castles are so good they MUST be in mainlined in say, 1.13.5? or something (but maybe wait for some critique first, you know, ok)
oh and by the way, in the camp folder there is a steam picture, what is that for?
EDIT: oh it was for transition to lava, ok
EDIT2: i meant camps instead of castles
Last edited by ForestDragon on April 14th, 2016, 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

doofus-01 wrote:I think these should work, as drop in. The castles are missing quite a few things, but I believe the camps are complete.
Great, thanks. Yeah, the camp looks complete enough.

Although, I must admit I'm not such a huge fan of the thrones+reeds, so I did a little experimentation. If the columns are not going to be used on the castle, I figured maybe the camp keep could have them, along with netting and a slightly deeper pool. In the screenshot, there's just one pool on every hex, but the idea is to make a corner-based version of it and integrate it into the wall tiles, producing one continuous pool. I think it could look pretty nice and somewhat unique, and I could do it myself unless you have any artistic objections to the idea. I'd probably discard the netting on the keep->castle walls though, and only use it on keep->noncastle walls.
Attachments
merfolk_castle_camp_keep.jpg
merfolk_castle_camp_keep.jpg (42.31 KiB) Viewed 3967 times
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

what do you mean by netting?
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

ForestDragon wrote:what do you mean by netting?
The nets between the towers.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

zookeeper wrote:Although, I must admit I'm not such a huge fan of the thrones+reeds, so I did a little experimentation. If the columns are not going to be used on the castle, I figured maybe the camp keep could have them, along with netting and a slightly deeper pool. In the screenshot, there's just one pool on every hex, but the idea is to make a corner-based version of it and integrate it into the wall tiles, producing one continuous pool. I think it could look pretty nice and somewhat unique, and I could do it myself unless you have any artistic objections to the idea. I'd probably discard the netting on the keep->castle walls though, and only use it on keep->noncastle walls.
It's a nice idea, I have no objections... except maybe to note that it makes it less "water-based camp" and more "merman castle", and I'm not sure why the merfolk should get two castles. Maybe the current unfinished merfolk coral castle can be turned into something else, not sure what though. :hmm:
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

zookeeper wrote:If the columns are not going to be used on the castle, I figured maybe the camp keep could have them.
I like the columns, and your pool is very nice, but I agree with doofus that they don't look temporary enough to be used in a camp. The advantage of his rock/reeds keep was that it didn't look like it would take much work from the merfolk. Another thing that would work and would probably look nice is a large, open clam shell.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

i agree that the camp looks like a merman castle (an maybe it's best that way)and if you want a camp or something, try maybe ordinary rocks with netting, or maybe just various sized rocks (not 100% symmetrical too) which can also be used as sea monster nests
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

An encampment is a castle! It just has a different type of keep traditionally. At least that was the original idea when the throne like thingy was introduced.

For me the greek stuff does not fly with the mermen theme. Maybe just the star and pearl. Maybe a 5 pointed star as seastar. And maybe some angles for the star for randomness.

I had the idea that the keep for the castle could be an elevated pool. Basically similar walls but the impression that the water level is higher inside the keep.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Since I no longer know where merfolk castles are going, I moved the arches to an alternative underground castle. I don't have any chasm, lava, or cave wall transitions yet, but they are in the plans. This screen-shot has two keep ideas which I'm dropping (after wasting an unfortunate amount of time), so don't worry too much about them.
screen-shot:
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Gyra_Solune

Post by Gyra_Solune »

Ooh, I really like that as a sort of default non-aligned castle design. I see it as potentially useful as some kind of underground man-made thing, since the grates give a kind of sewer-ish appearance...or maybe it's a leftover relic. Gates could also be used in a gladiatorial arena. Or it's the kind of castle I see potentially built by undead forces, really utilitarian and function-focused. Nice and flexible, this is good.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Looks futuristic to me. Maybe for Spacenoth? If aiming at aquaeduct thingy I would go for roman arches and sand like colors.

Is there a current version of the water castle/keep/encampment? I would not go totally crazy about all the exotic transition. Why would you built a water castle next to a volcano/abyss/cavewall if you have the whole ocean?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

doofus-01 wrote:It's a nice idea, I have no objections... except maybe to note that it makes it less "water-based camp" and more "merman castle", and I'm not sure why the merfolk should get two castles. Maybe the current unfinished merfolk coral castle can be turned into something else, not sure what though. :hmm:
Yeah, in hindsight I guess I agree about the columns making it look too much like a castle rather than a camp.

In any case, I think the coral castle is perfectly fine (or do some of the convex towers still need rotating?) and should become the main merfolk castle, it only needs a keep. The arch castle might work as a keep, but it's very basic so far so it's hard to say how its final form would fit. The style is very different than the castle's, and the castle-keep connections might be tricky to do. If you're looking for alternative ideas, then I think these arches-on-top-of-towers you had earlier look wonderful:

If you made a full set of those arches+towers (or maybe use some existing/unused tower types for them), I'd think that would work perfectly as a keep. The corals and land transitions could remain the same as on the castle, except maybe just with the corals removed from under arches which are facing into the castle.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

if you want to make a keep, you have to make it recognisable as the same thing, but grander, myabe you should go like this: higher and fatter collumns (reefs,spikes, whatever),higher water level,and replace netting with stone wall, and you have youself a fairly ok keep
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Zookeeper's pool and columns would work fine as a keep for a castle.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

if you mean the ones from before this one (columns with curves on the top), then i agree
oh and about those, i think they are missing n,ne,nw,sw (they look like the towers are sticking out of water), south ones look good, now all there is needed to do is add the missing ones, and ta-dam! we got a full set of merfolk castle (not sure what to do with those old flooded ruins, which really annoyed me)