Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Cold terrain

Post by Sangel »

Skizzaltix wrote:Actually, I think one of the main problems with the big one here is that it's facing in a different direction from the others...
This is an important point. Snow drifts get their shape from the prevailing wind, and so tend to be fairly uniform in orientation. Variation in size and number is cool - and multihex is a good way to do this - but I suggest keeping the orientation similar across all tile variations.

Reference:

Nice work on the hues, by the way - the colour feels a lot more natural now.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Skizzaltix, Sangel - Right, I'll try to keep them all in the same direction. Thanks.
Jozrael - I think these will end up being fairly rare, and there will need to be many variations for it not to look bad, so hopefully that can be avoided.

Here's the latest attempt. I did have one that wasn't circular, but it was no good so I'll work on that.
driftshot4.png
driftshot4.png (281.28 KiB) Viewed 7115 times
Because I got bored with snow drifts, I tried an ice castle. Getting this to work properly looks like it will be pretty complicated, so I'm using the normal castle as a guide. I don't have enough of these to make a screenshot, but is this going in the right direction?
castle-ice.png
castle-ice.png (9.14 KiB) Viewed 7099 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=ice ... =en&tab=wi

The shapes look promising, though to evoke icicles, you'd want them thinner and pointier. However, the colours are too dark i think. Whiter - large chunks of ice tend more to white than blue. Something a little more like the elven keep towers, perhaps.

Playing around with pure white speculars would be interesting - you could really make them glisten. As would playing around with variable transparency effects - a see-through castle might be interesting. You'd have to have it more see-through when we see it straight on, and less so when we see edges, I think - so you'd see through the middle of a tower better than its edges.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Rather there should just be snowy versions of the regular castle tiles. I could find a way to wire those in so that they'd be used when the castle is next to snow, no new terrains required.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

zookeeper wrote:Rather there should just be snowy versions of the regular castle tiles. I could find a way to wire those in so that they'd be used when the castle is next to snow, no new terrains required.
Both would be cool, actually, an "ice queen" castle and a snowy normal castle. ;)

W.r.t. your WIP - the main problem I see is that you're giving the wall some perspective, so the part "closest to the camera" is larger than the part further away next to the tower. Counterintuitively, this is a big no-no - remember, there's no vanishing point for Wesnoth terrain. Parallel lines are actually parallel. Unrealistic, but, there's isometric graphics for you. Your graphics imply the horizon is just a bit above the top of the tower, which is clearly a problem, since there's actually just more terrain hexes there.

But it's a promising start, and I think you should keep at it. I like TSI's idea of making it translucent.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Winter castle. If that's about right, I'll get to work on the keeps and transitions.
Attachments
snowshot1.png
snowshot1.png (257.42 KiB) Viewed 6679 times
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

doofus-01 wrote:Winter castle. If that's about right, I'll get to work on the keeps and transitions.
funky 8)
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

I like it, just enough snow...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

I love those towers :cool:

My only comment would be, maybe it could do with a few little bits of snow in the castle parts? Obviously the soldiers aren't about to leave huge snowbanks lying around on the parade ground, but maybe a little patch or two?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks.

I think these are supposed to be 1:1 replacements/variations for the normal castles, not sure if snow patches can go in without being on every tile. Maybe for the ruins though, they should probably have more snow cover.
cretin

Post by cretin »

hmm i was thinking you could try and add footprint paths but i think they would probably be too small. amazing job so far!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Cool! Remember to also make a snowed-in variant of the little embankment between outer castle wall and water, as seen in this image; that little strip of grass looks mighty odd.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

doofus-01 wrote:I think these are supposed to be 1:1 replacements/variations for the normal castles, not sure if snow patches can go in without being on every tile.
Well, I don't think it'd be too difficult to wire in.

Could you post the complete set of those tiles you've already made? I could start experimenting with putting them in.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

OK. The images in this tgz have the same names as the originals, but they are in a folder called "snow."
snow_castle.tgz
(235.43 KiB) Downloaded 591 times
This is what they look like.
Attachments
snowshot2.png
snowshot2.png (408.51 KiB) Viewed 6270 times
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Good stuff man, no glaring errors in it either.

Good job.
Fear me! For I am higher level than you!