Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Cold terrain

Post by doofus-01 »

How do these re-coloured cobbles work? (Ignore the parts leaking in under the northern walls. Also ignore the missing shadows and unpainted rocks.)
Attachments
orcshot7.png
orcshot7.png (428.52 KiB) Viewed 5852 times
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Better of course. Have you given any thought to make it like half-dirt, half-cobbled, or maybe mostly cobbled but with patches of dirt? Like if the cobbles were old or unmaintained and so you'd have one missing here or there. It would go well with the grass poking up and emphasize the thought that the orcs are more focused on warfare and less about making things uniform and pretty.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

One thing that strikes me is the large stone pillars. While they do fit the overall design, manipulating such heavy stones seems a lot more dificult than assembling a wooden palisade. I'd retain the overall shape, but have some of the pillars made with several large hastily-cemented stones.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The whole thing looks a little... washed out, somehow. Like you've dropped the contrast and saturation on the levels. That could stand to be fixed, but otherwise this is looking more and more promising =D
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Turuk wrote:Better of course. Have you given any thought to make it like half-dirt, half-cobbled, or maybe mostly cobbled but with patches of dirt?
Like below?
thespaceinvader wrote:Like you've dropped the contrast and saturation on the levels.
Didn't touch the levels, I can't see this. Is the lone keep hex better?
LordBob wrote:I'd retain the overall shape, but have some of the pillars made with several large hastily-cemented stones.
I'll try that when I finish off the rocks.
Attachments
orcshot9.png
orcshot9.png (345.23 KiB) Viewed 5517 times
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

doofus-01 wrote:Like below?
Yes, very nice! That look certainly fits with the walls, you pulled it together very well making the cobbles match the state of the structure.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

INdeed, looks very nice. But i think the walls (not so much the rocky bits, but the wooden palisades) still need a bit more contrast - they all seem to blend together a bit for me.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

That dirt on the non-keep hexes does look great. Is it a replacement for the current default dirt? If no, i think it should be.

And yes, contrast contrast contrast.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

The Castle is looking great. The only critique that I can make is that the rocks seem a little too "smooth" in their texture (their shape is great). Would it be possible to add a tiny amount of granular noise to the standing stones?

Also, it might be a good idea to split the new fortifications discussion into a new thread - the "cold terrain" title has become a little misleading. :)
Syntax_Error wrote:That dirt on the non-keep hexes does look great. Is it a replacement for the current default dirt? If no, i think it should be.
I think that Jetryl would consider it too dark for generic dirt, though it would look great as wet dirt or fertile soil. If it isn't currently an available flatland alias, perhaps it should be.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Terrain: Now Fortifications

Post by Turuk »

Sangel wrote:Also, it might be a good idea to split the new fortifications discussion into a new thread - the "cold terrain" title has become a little misleading.
Notified doofus-01 and adjusted accordingly to reflect his new direction.
X-Site

Post by X-Site »

I love the walls and the wood/stone combination
tough I personally find it hard to look at the new castle ground. I would like a higher contrast between walls and stones and less contrast between the stones and the mud in the ground itself. (one could archive this by lighting the goundtile a bit)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Sangel wrote:I think that Jetryl would consider it too dark for generic dirt, though it would look great as wet dirt or fertile soil.
/me tips his hat. Thanks. :) That's exactly what I think.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Petrified Elf

Post by Petrified Elf »

:? To me it didn't seem obvuosly orcish, kinda peaceful. I suggest putting skulls and war ornaments on a few of the taller poles.

:D But other than my nitpickiness your work is awsome and will be great when in game.
Attachments
like so
like so
Thank God, We Did!

I am listening to Fleet Foxes!

Armageddon, December 21, 2012, the end of the human race
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Do keeps not have doors? Or maybe I'm just not seeing it.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Gambit wrote:Do keeps not have doors? Or maybe I'm just not seeing it.
South wall, there's a bit of grey rock at the bottom but then there's clearly open space above it for entrance, through which you can see the cobbles.