Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Re: My Terrain (Mine!)

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Given that this is a thread of art contributions to the core game, I don't think it's appropriate to talk about terrains from an addon.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

It looks like a recolor of the 1.13 deep water. You want to combine it with regular shallow water. Technical transitions should be possible to be recolored too. Should be possible to merge blue water into black water.

I believe recoloring of water has mainline relevance too. But I am not sure if any color needs to be blended in any other color.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

nemaara wrote: March 8th, 2018, 4:07 am Not sure if this is the right place to ask you about this, but it seems like your water terrains in Archaic Resources don't have transitions to other water terrain in 1.13.11 (see below). Are you planning on making transitions for them sometime? It would be very nice to have them (only if it's not too much trouble to do).
This probably isn't the right place, even though it is "my terrain" just because it is in Contributions section for mainline.
As for actually answering the question: It wasn't on my radar, I don't recall trying to use it with other water, but if I know there is demand, I could put it on the TO-DO list. I probably won't get to it soon, but I'll keep it in mind.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

I recently dusted off an old add-on that I originally made in 1.12 and noticed it no longer works as intended in 1.14.11. This is because the transitions for earthy cave walls seem to be handled differently. You used to be able to see a bit of the earthy colour from all directions, now the earthiness often doesn't show at all (see attachment). Is this intended or is it a bug? The add-on has a mining theme and the colour of the cave hexes was important so any workaround would be helpful. I've had a look at the terrain code changes from each version but I can't make sense of it.
Attachments
None of the earthy cave walls (Xue) are any different to the regular cave walls (Xu).
None of the earthy cave walls (Xue) are any different to the regular cave walls (Xu).
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I can't say I really remember what happened in 1.12, but it doesn't surprise me that there could be a cnahge like this, as some simplifications have to be made to keep the transitions requirements from exploding. I did a quick check of the terrain-graphics.cfg file, it doesn't look like there was a mistake in ordering or wildcards. Possibly the NEW:WALL macro could be improved, but changing it to solve this will probably cause other issues. I'll look into it though.

As far as a quick fix, there are a number of flat-terrain variations and some overlays available, will any of those work? What's the specific situation and what's the intent with Xue?
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Hey doofus. The idea was that earthy cave wall represented a gold seam and could be mined for cash. Players had to dig through normal cave wall looking for these seams on Xue, but they are hard to find when the transitions don't show from all directions. It used to be quite subtle which was nice.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

There's probably some workaround, but I'll admit I'm not immediately seeing it. It probably wouldn't be too difficult to make a subtle overlay like Xu^Zyx, if that would work.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but a single Xu surrounded by Xue seems to work better than a single Xue surrounded by Xu:
terrain.png
terrain.png (148.94 KiB) Viewed 3546 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Bumping this just to give my thoughts on new terrain, since there isn't much time before feature freeze for 1.16. What is there that can be done?
  1. Scrub grass - an overlay like "Desert Plants", might be useful for sand/grass transition.
  2. Dry Stone fence - cosmetic fence like the wooden fence, but could be used in cave scenes (or anywhere).
  3. Wooden Palisade - variation to Iron Fence
  4. Stone Village variations - this might not actually need to before 1.16
Let me know if there is something else that should be considered.
IceTyp

Post by IceTyp »

Some snow variations for flat terrain could be useful:
  • Snowy Dark Dirt (Flat, Frozen)
  • Snowy Clean Gray Cobbles/Road (Flat, Frozen)
  • Snowy Wooden Bridge (Flat, Frozen)
  • Snowy Basic Stone Bridge (Flat, Frozen)
I think it would suffice to add some snowy parts to the existing terrains. Movement properties could be either Flat only or best of Flat and Frozen like it is for Snowy Encampment. At least those terrains should be easy to traverse for most unit types.

Also an alternative to Swamp Human Ruin/Ruined Castle would be interesting:
  • Muddy Quagmire Human Ruin/Ruined Castle (Castle, Swamp)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

There are some snowbits that can be added to a standard flat terrain, maybe not perfect but it would mostly get the point across. A snowy bridge would be nice, I agree.
IceTyp wrote: May 16th, 2021, 12:50 pm Also an alternative to Swamp Human Ruin/Ruined Castle would be interesting:

Muddy Quagmire Human Ruin/Ruined Castle (Castle, Swamp)
This might be interesting, but I don't really know what you mean. Do you have a mock-up?
(This wouldn't get done by June 20th in any case, but BfW 1.17/1.18 is still a thing.)
IceTyp

Post by IceTyp »

doofus-01 wrote: May 16th, 2021, 7:18 pm This might be interesting, but I don't really know what you mean. Do you have a mock-up?
I had a terrain similar to Sunken Human Ruin and Swamp Human Ruin in mind. Instead of the water or green swamp plants there would be the brown Muddy Quagmire terrain.
Castle_Terrain.png
Castle_Terrain.png (124.16 KiB) Viewed 1898 times
It could look like the Muddy Quagmire terrain in the center of the picture.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

IceTyp wrote: May 16th, 2021, 7:47 pm
doofus-01 wrote: May 16th, 2021, 7:18 pm This might be interesting, but I don't really know what you mean. Do you have a mock-up?
I had a terrain similar to Sunken Human Ruin and Swamp Human Ruin in mind. Instead of the water or green swamp plants there would be the brown Muddy Quagmire terrain.

Castle_Terrain.png

It could look like the Muddy Quagmire terrain in the center of the picture.
I think ruined encampment seems better for the walls of the quagmire castle hex.
Screenshot 2021-05-17 025635.png
Screenshot 2021-05-17 025635.png (297.98 KiB) Viewed 1882 times
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I'm pretty sure both of those are a coding problem, not an art problem. All the art is there as far as I can tell, you'd just need to define a terrain type and the graphics rules to put them together in the way you want.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Would it be possible to make the encampments an overlay over flat terrain? Then you could mix them however you'd like. It wouldn't necessarily fix the muddy/swamp issue here, but it could lead to more diverse encampments.
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!