Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Outlaws!

Post by Turuk »

Maybe I was not clear enough. I was not providing you with more ammunition, I was giving you the hint to drop it for now, and at least wait until kitty can respond to your points, which you already raised once.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
bonehead11

Post by bonehead11 »

Tet wrote:Here comes my futile attempt to give this lady dual sight.
Sorry to say this but in mine opinion she looks like her arm is broken and bended to her body...but that eye repair looks ok.

Anyways nice work kitty.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

First pass of shading finished...

captain rage: You shouldn't forget that the portraits of the thief and assassin don't picture the same person. They are generic unit portraits. That's why the female version doesn't need to have scars in the same places. But you were right, the last version looked too young.
Tet: If you believe you see problems you don't need to do a paintover for every single one. i can understand what you mean if you just describe that you think her skirt should be further in or out or whatever with words. I don't take any of your points into consideration because you only describe what you think it should be like (e.g. skirt should be further in at the right side) but fail to explain why you think that is the case. You need to give serious well-thought and well-explained reasons if you expect me to react on your points. Just saying "I think it should be this way" isn't enough.
Apart from that I don't think that your points are very valid: (1) Why shouldn't it be that far out? It hangs loose, you don't see the outline of her leg... (2) If you have joints you can hold your shoulders at an angle and have one lower than the other. (3) That's no critique, but just your preference (4) I don't see it that way. The Assassin: I can't take these critiques very seriously, since you seem to fail to notice that she is unshaded...
Attachments
assassin_fem03.png
assassin_fem03.png (121.96 KiB) Viewed 4680 times
Captain_Rage

Post by Captain_Rage »

kitty wrote: captain rage: You shouldn't forget that the portraits of the thief and assassin don't picture the same person. They are generic unit portraits. That's why the female version doesn't need to have scars in the same places. But you were right, the last version looked too young.
Ah, I see. Both portraits capture the look and feeling of those units, and are very well done (as always), if that's what you're aiming at. So now I will fall back on lurking the forum and admire any new portrait that might come up. :P
Guidrion

Post by Guidrion »

Awesome work. You managed to suppress the ninja/SWAT-feeling.
The only things which trublles me is the pack of knives on the side of her belt. It might be annoying while moving in a discrete (not sure how you spell this in English) way but I don't think it worths a fix.

Can't wait to see your next portrait. :D
"There is no difference between good or bad but thinking makes it so"
William Shakespeare.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Hmm, something just bothers me about the dagger in her left hand. I think the dagger's edge rather than its flat should be facing us. I.e. it kinda looks like she's holding it like a flyswatter if that makes any sense.

Other than that, the portrait looks great. That hood thing did help to distance it from the generic ninja-ness though theres only so much you can do to differentiate a western black sneaking suit and an eastern black sneaking suit. :P
Ardent

Post by Ardent »

I don't have a camera at hand to prove this (and perhaps it's just my style of holding a knive), but once I looked at the way I'm holding my training knive in my fist, I think the right hand dagger should be turned slightly clockwise.
You are an Orcish Grunt: cheap, powerful, but effective.
Tet

Post by Tet »

Thanks for this beautyful shaded picture. I like it. Nice to see the metal shiny. (Now I know it is called shading).

The pocket belt still bothers me. For me it gives the figure a weak appearance, as it suggested a weird twisted lower back (for me). I understand you probably like it this way.

@bonehead: lifting the upper arm and leaving the elbow in place should make the arm longer. That gives a broken appearance. That were just 10 minutes "smear quick-"fixes"" to show what I meant. There was no intend to alter Kittys artwork permanently. She can and will do everything she likes herself. Thanks for you compliment about the eye.

@ardent: that is a good point. But you assume the handle is straight. That was not allways the case in history.
My Temple Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29800
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895
kitty

Post by kitty »

I did some minor changes and call her finished now. Argh, I hope to get her male counterpart done before 1.6 ...

Captain Rage : No need to lurk only, comments are always appreciated.
Guidiron : My intention for the knives on her tigh is that they are attatched to her belt as well as hold in place by a belt around her tigh. You can see this belt at the lower edge of the pic, but it got easy to miss in the overall darkness.
Neoskel : I changed the angle of the rear knife on your suggestion - thanks!
Wayfarer : :)
Ardent : Hmm, I didn't change the front knife because you said it could be a matter of your style holding a knife.
Tet : I can see what you are talking about concerning the belt. Perhaps you miss the second one this one is crossed over? And yeah, I just don't want the wesnothian women to be pictured unnaturally skinny, pelvis-less and big boobed....
Attachments
assassin_fem04_trans.png
assassin_fem04_trans.png (122.3 KiB) Viewed 5339 times
assassin_fem04.png
assassin_fem04.png (38.79 KiB) Viewed 5312 times
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I committed this to trunk.

That unconscious guy lying on the floor next to me isn't thespaceinvader, I promise.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Tet

Post by Tet »

I do not think I missed a belt. Congrat to an other submitted artwork. Enjoy your next piece. I appriciate your drive to get ready. Hope to see more soon. The thing with boops and skinny I have guessed. However sticking hips in un-natural direction is not a healthy display of flexibilty. Of course this is only an opinion. I would be delighted if you keep that in mind for future female poses.
My Temple Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29800
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Tet wrote:I do not think I missed a belt. Congrat to an other submitted artwork. Enjoy your next piece. I appriciate your drive to get ready. Hope to see more soon. The thing with boops and skinny I have guessed. However sticking hips in un-natural direction is not a healthy display of flexibilty. Of course this is only an opinion. I would be delighted if you keep that in mind for future female poses.
I'm going to go out on a limb here, but making assumptions on what kitty is thinking, I think you would be better off not providing suggestions for what she should do for her portraits. I think she has repeatedly and politely made it clear with great patience that your ideas for the portraits are vastly different than what she has in mind, and she is not going to change.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
kitty

Post by kitty »

Thanks Shadow_Master!

And Tet, you did it again... I just explained to you that you need to give reasons, just saying that you believe the direction of the pelvis could be strange isn't enough. :roll: To be more elaborate, I did a paintover of my own drawing to show you how the anatomy works (And no I won't do that everytime you believe to spot a problem but I was in the mood to paint ninja underwear.):
Attachments
Bild 1.png
Bild 1.png (94.3 KiB) Viewed 4124 times
MDG

Post by MDG »

Kitty... you ROCK
Bad_Dog

Post by Bad_Dog »

I knew it! Even ninja women like to feel pretty underneath. :D