Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Re: Outlaws! New: Thug

Post by kitty »

Tiny update; I made him a tiny tad less beefy and he got a new face. I'm actually satisfied with this version - but I'm still willing to take more opinions into consieration...

tsi: Hmm, I fear I disagree with you - the things you are complaining about are pretty much the definition of a muscular man. The narrow waist contrasted by the wide ribcage, the head appearing small in comparison to the shoulder width, the toned arms etc. are what makes a man appear buffed. Example 1 (for a generally well built man with a small waist) and Example 2 (a male back which shows how tiny male waists can appear).
A more problematic issue I can see atm is that the chest appears very flat, but I plan to solve that by shading.

doofus: I only read you comment after I made these changes - moving the hand is definitely still an option. (btw your new avatar is just epic!)
Attachments
thug03.png
thug03.png (122.1 KiB) Viewed 4411 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Neither of those links work for me... Do you have an anatomy sketch of him? I know you sometimes do that, and I think it might help allay my issues - I've had a bit more of a think about him, and I think one of the problems I have is that i can't really read how his club arm comments under his sleeve. I'd expect his pectoral and deltoids to be bigger, i think. And the edits you've made to his club forearm now leave a very noticeably straight and thin forearm which suddenly expands, rather than having a relatively smooth widening as i think i would expect.

The overall effect of him I like, but I can't help the feeling that the anatomy doesn't quite work.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
kitty

Post by kitty »

Do you have an anatomy sketch of him? I know you sometimes do that, and I think it might help allay my issues - I've had a bit more of a think about him, and I think one of the problems I have is that i can't really read how his club arm comments under his sleeve.
Anatomy sketch attatched, perhaps that clears up your issues.

And the edits you've made to his club forearm now leave a very noticeably straight and thin forearm which suddenly expands, rather than having a relatively smooth widening as i think i would expect.
Uhm, I didn't make any edits to the forearm holding the club...
Attachments
thug_sketch.png
thug_sketch.png (45.62 KiB) Viewed 4403 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Something like this feels more like it to me.

I think a particular issue is the biceps/pectoral join, where the biceps angles up just as it joins his shirt, it looks as though it just continues on up... Of course, you;re welcome not to listen ;)

Maybe I didn't notice the issue with the forearm first time round.
Attachments
po.png
po.png (45.72 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
kitty

Post by kitty »

8) I start enjoying this...

Notice that the neck/head is rotated, because of that the trapezius is turned around, too and cannot appear symmetrical. For the "flat" chest muscle - the arm isn't hanging down but held at an angle and by that the chest muscle gets stretched and becomes flatter due to that.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

By jove, i think i've got it!

There's an apparent conflict between the direction the club is pointing, which seems to be quite far out of the block towards camera, and the direction of his elbow and arm, which seem to be parallel with the canvas. I think perhaps that it;s intended that the upper arm is parallel to the canvas, and the forearm is foreshortened out to meet it.

Maybe this will get fixed by shading.
kitty

Post by kitty »

I think perhaps that it;s intended that the upper arm is parallel to the canvas, and the forearm is foreshortened out to meet it.
Yep. That's why it is so short in comparison to the other one ;)
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Aaah, I've got it. I still think that the shape of that forearm is a little off, though...
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I find the position of the club and the club arm a bit hard to read. Is he resting the club over his shoulder, just holding it there for posturing (like when threatening someone) or scratching his neck or back with it (while his mind wanders on whether he should rob that peasant over there or not)? It doesn't look like a relaxed position, firstly because head of the club doesn't look heavy enough to balance the weight of his arm if he was just resting it over his shoulder, and secondly because the club just isn't in contact with his shoulder.

The first version suffered from this much more than the latest one, since to me, his face now makes it indeed look a bit like some kind of an unintentional idle motion people tend to do when they're a bit nervous but not doing anything in particular, moving their hands and shifting whatever it is they're holding around pointlessly since they don't feel comfortable just standing still. Although I'm guessing that wasn't what you intended.
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Liking the new face, that looks more like what you'd expect from a thug. Looks like an old class-mate of mine, in fact. Not a bright one either.
For the dark gods!
kitty

Post by kitty »

Pretty much finished Thug:
Attachments
thug04.png
thug04.png (181.41 KiB) Viewed 4027 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Nice job on the face. If the weapon were longer, might it seem more like he could be balancing it on his shoulders (for a more relaxed pose)?
Attachments
thug04-edit.png
thug04-edit.png (176.42 KiB) Viewed 3846 times
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

doofus-01 wrote:Nice job on the face. If the weapon were longer, might it seem more like he could be balancing it on his shoulders (for a more relaxed pose)?
I think it could use that extra length, just to second doofus' statement.
And I'll be having nightmares for the next night thanks to his avatar.
For the dark gods!
kitty

Post by kitty »

Fin Thug, elongated the club on doofus' suggestion - thanks!
Attachments
thug05.png
thug05.png (179.88 KiB) Viewed 3748 times
thug05_bg.png
thug05_bg.png (53.26 KiB) Viewed 3735 times
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Is the club's crookedness intentional?