Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Re: Outlaws!

Post by kitty »

since the shape of the knife's blade seemed to be so close to you guys' hearts, i changed it to a double edged blade. and i resized the hand on lordbob's suggestion.
i call him finished now, please commit.

tsr why should i? if you express such change requests, add a *very* good explanation. without good reasoning i'll tend to ignore you.
shadow master edward scissorhands is a bit darker, isn't he? but i know what you mean looking at the hairstyle and belts...
lordbob i scaled the hand up but i didn't change the thumb's position because if i rotated the hand to a position that allowed the thumb to be visible, i would have to reposition and redraw the entire arm.
Attachments
thief03.png
thief03.png (149.43 KiB) Viewed 5853 times
thief03_sm.png
thief03_sm.png (47.74 KiB) Viewed 5839 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Those little details niggle sometimes - sorry to be a pain. The new knife looks awesome.

Commit monkey powers, activate =D
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

kitty wrote: since the shape of the knife's blade seemed to be so close to you guys' hearts, i changed it to a double edged blade. and i resized the hand on lordbob's suggestion.
Sorry kitty, I know it seemed like we were all after you about it, but:
thespaceinvader wrote:Those little details niggle sometimes - sorry to be a pain. The new knife looks awesome.
Totally agreed, the new knife fits much better. Great work on these portraits so far, I look forward to seeing what else you come up with.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
tsr

Post by tsr »

kitty wrote:tsr why should i? if you express such change requests, add a *very* good explanation. without good reasoning i'll tend to ignore you.
That's more than fair.

First reason is that I get a feeling that the artist (that would be you) just made "another vertical scar", instead of "one more scar", the second is that the whole image feels very tall and a horizontal scar would imho change that.

I don't think you take those as *very* good reasons, probably not even good ;)

Thanks anyway for taking the time to say how you want your c&c.

/tsr
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

a start for the female assassin. unshaded, colours are preliminary, etc... it would be more realistical to have the blades and her face darkened with some smut but then i'd have no focal points at all and a uniform dark-grey thingie. thus we'll have to live with this bit of un-realism.

tsi: thanks little monkey! do i owe you a banana now?
turuk: changing his knife was really no problem ;)
tsr: ah, thanks for the explanation, i see what you mean. but it doesn't bother me enough to go back and change it right now.
Attachments
assassin_fem01.png
assassin_fem01.png (96.71 KiB) Viewed 4500 times
ShikadiQueen

Post by ShikadiQueen »

Ninjas are taking over Wesnoth. :o
I got better!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

That looks fantastic. You need to clean up the rear knife blade, though...

Do you want me to wire the current Thief portraits in for the Rogue as well, by the way? It might be useful even until you come up with a new one if you planning on doing so, since having something in place for 1.6 would be good.

And no, I don't like bananas :P
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Reminder: the female Rogue already uses the female Thief portrait.
Shadow_Master wrote:
kitty wrote:I'd like to have her as l1 and 2. perhaps i'll do seperate l2 portraits at a later point but for now the units are similar enough.
Good.

Done, but not for 1.6 RC1. It'll have to wait for 1.6 RC2 (1.5.13).
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
JW

Post by JW »

I like the assassin, but her eyes appear too warm and caring to me.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Looks great otherwise, except there is nothing particulary medievalesque about her getup. To me she doesn't even look much like a ninja, but more like a SWAT member (with knives instead of firearms).
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Wow, really nice. I think adding some extra accessory or other detail to the head might be a good idea, though...like a bandana or something similar, like the sprite has.

Also I'm kind of craving to see a reverse knife grip (just holding the knife the other way around) on some of these guys, just because it always looks cool. :oops:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

The Thief is now attached to the rogue in trunk.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

How about something like this for a hood (with something extra to cover the lower face)? I would also drop the shoulder pads, without any other armour they look kinda silly.

Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Wow, your assassin is impressive! :shock:

Hood: I second the design Groovy suggests. It would add a very welcome medieval flavour to the classical ninja hood.

Shoulder pads: once again I agree with Groovy, they do feel light armour-wise. An alternative to dropping them might be a single heavier pauldron covering the upper arm and breast. This would give her a "strong side" which she knows can be exposed when dodging isn't an option. :)

Blades: an alternative to darkening them might be the use of a darker iron nuance, similiar to the armour of my Iron Mauler. The blade would be dark, but retain bright reflections on the edges (think of a tool on which sharpening reveals the raw steel, like those two). I think this would enhance the sharp, threatening look of the blades.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Guidrion

Post by Guidrion »

I have to agree too with Groovy: her equipment doesn't feel medieval at all and it wouldn't be that great to have another ninja (in fact, i'v always thought that even the sprite doesn't match with the wesnothian design).

A combination of the hood from Groovy and the heavy pauldron that Lordbob suggested would give her much more personnality.
"There is no difference between good or bad but thinking makes it so"
William Shakespeare.