Woho! Time for a new project - outlaws, starting with the female thief/rogue:
Attachments
thief_fem01.png
thief_fem01.png (97.36 KiB) Viewed 10869 times
turin
Lord of the East

Re: Outlaws!

Post by turin »

Something really bugs me about the hand holding the dagger, but I can't put my finger on it. Sorry. Other than that, looks great.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

turin wrote:Something really bugs me about the hand holding the dagger, but I can't put my finger on it. Sorry. Other than that, looks great.
Having such a relaxed pose and yet gripping the dagger tightly? That kind of catches my eye, but I can't really tell if it's a good or a bad thing.
Orcish Shyde

Post by Orcish Shyde »

zookeeper wrote:
turin wrote:Something really bugs me about the hand holding the dagger, but I can't put my finger on it. Sorry. Other than that, looks great.
Having such a relaxed pose and yet gripping the dagger tightly? That kind of catches my eye, but I can't really tell if it's a good or a bad thing.
It just indicates a certain readiness to apply that knife to the slitting of your purse-strings, your throat, or both - which is kinda what you expect from a thief with weapons drawn.

Only issue I can point out in this awesome pic is... aren't Wesnoth thieves meant to have blue hair? This one just looks white-haired to me ATM.
Shameless Crossover Excuse
Necromancer (campaign)

You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I can clearly see the blueish tone in her hair. Display settings?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Orcish Shyde

Post by Orcish Shyde »

Shadow_Master wrote:I can clearly see the blueish tone in her hair. Display settings?
I can see the tone, but the sprite doesn't so much have "blueish tone" as "so ridiculously bright blue, you wonder how they can operate as thieves". OTOH, that would be a legit reason to deviate from the sprite a bit, not to mention the difficulty of people reduced to theft to survive getting their hands on blue hair dye in a medieval setting.
Shameless Crossover Excuse
Necromancer (campaign)

You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

wow, comment galore! :D

Neoskel
- her male companion will get more sly and foxy :P
Turin - :hmm: hmm, i'm not sure what your problem is... i see none, but let me know if you find out what looks wrong to you.
Orcish Shyde - the last version i posted was just lines and flats. comments on the colour aren't sensible at this state. (btw. the unit description talks about a pale shade of blue, not a bright one) can you see the blue now?

first round of shading finished:
Attachments
thief_fem02.png
thief_fem02.png (137.58 KiB) Viewed 10668 times
Last edited by kitty on February 28th, 2009, 11:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

I love the scrapes/scars you've added to her face; it suggests that she's had a tough life without giving her the feel of a bruiser/thug. The costuming is also excellent, as per the usual - lots of pouches for tricky tools and ill-gotten gains.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

I think I might see Turin's issue. Once I looked closely at her hand, I felt that she had a half-sized bonus finger. I think the reason is that, even allowing for her thumb partly obscuring her index finger, her index and middle fingers are crushed together into the space of about 1+1/2 index fingers. middle finger is definitely a tiny bit too thin.

If she really was gripping the dagger that tightly, the tension should go right up her arm and even show in the opposite side of her neck. [Edit: And being that tense would be poor technique for any fighter.] She looks quite relaxed; ergo, she must have 4+1/2 fingers on that hand.

Also, the dagger looks slightly bent to me. But putting a straight edge against it though, I think that may be an optical illusion.

I love that slight smirk you've given her.
Last edited by Simons Mith on March 1st, 2009, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xtifr

Post by xtifr »

Yeah, dagger seems bent to me too. Perhaps it's the angle with respect to the hand, but I can't help but feel like it should come up slightly.
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
TheJM

Post by TheJM »

I'm gonna have to say ditto to the last two posters, I think the blade of the knife should come up slightly. The angle of the blade seems ever so slightly off in relation to the hand..

Also, what are the two right pouches hanging on to? I can't quite tell if there is another belt underneath The other ones or not. I *think* there is, but it's hard to tell and sorta makes the middle pouch look like it's glued on. It's probably too minor to bother changing, but I figure it can't hurt to point it out, right? :hmm:

I really am looking forward to seeing all the new outlaw portraits. This one is looking great already. :)
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I dunno, even with all the knives and scars, she doesn't look all that tough and mean to me. Maybe it is the way she is hanging her head, sort of coy, I'd rather see her holding her head up proudly and assertively, looking down on the sorry little dweebs like us. Squinting her eyes might help too.

Also, I'm rather bothered by the starps across her chest, what is their purpose? The thicker one aslo bends over the shoulder in a weird way, it doesn't seem to circle towards the other end.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:I dunno, even with all the knives and scars, she doesn't look all that tough and mean to me.
Sounds about right for a unit with 24 hitpoints and lousy resistances to physical damage. ;) She still looks like she'd stab you in the back all right.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

This is a home run. Although most of kitty's work has been pretty excellent, this portrait in particular has hit a bullseye. "Stay the course," is my advice.

Amongst many "potential potholes", you've nailed the hair color perfectly. :D
Sgt. Groovy wrote:I dunno, even with all the knives and scars, she doesn't look all that tough and mean to me. Maybe it is the way she is hanging her head, sort of coy, I'd rather see her holding her head up proudly and assertively, looking down on the sorry little dweebs like us. Squinting her eyes might help too.

Also, I'm rather bothered by the starps across her chest, what is their purpose? The thicker one aslo bends over the shoulder in a weird way, it doesn't seem to circle towards the other end.
Although I normally see a lot of smart comments from groovy, I'd like to vote against both of these. I think the visual "character" of the unit is spot on (thieves should look "coy" and "sly"), and I also think the other pose examples he linked would be much more appropriate for a commander-type unit.

Likewise, more straps and costume complexity is generally a plus, unless you push it much further than this. This is well within the realm of "looks cool wins over is realistic".
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Likewise, more straps and costume complexity is generally a plus, unless you push it much further than this. This is well within the realm of "looks cool wins over is realistic".
I certainly don't have anything against costume complexity, it's just that kitty has spoiled us with such interesting and original costume designs that this one strikes me a bit boring. The belts around the waist look perfect and have a good reason for being there, but adding few more just for looks doesn't make the costume any more interesting.

Also, am I missing something or is the bare part of her shoulder totally missing on the far side, presuming the sleeves are identical on both sides? If not, then the shoulder is way too low.
Attachments
thief_fem.png
thief_fem.png (46.67 KiB) Viewed 10605 times
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.