Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Re: Outlaws! New: male Footpad!

Post by kitty »

Aaand her male companion! Still some detail fiddling to come but you get the idea.

ShikadiLord: :oops:
tsi: ups, yeah, it would be great if you could flip her for me! Seems like I have been on my hiatus for too long and forgot about the basic things :P
bera: hmm, I meant the arm to be bent behind her a bit, but getting those things clear in those baggy sleeves is pretty difficult...
SouthernOracle: yes, something like that.
Attachments
footpad01.png
footpad01.png (161.34 KiB) Viewed 4249 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Outlaws! New: Footpad

Post by thespaceinvader »

His right (our left) arm looks really, really short. I know it's meant to be a foreshortening effect, but I don't think it's worked...

Otherwise, he looks great. I like his gangliness, and the sling seems well-researched and realistic.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
kitty

Post by kitty »

Yep, the upper arm will need deeper shadows to push it back more, I think. I hope I don't need to move it since I really like the pose - I'll see if it works...

And slings are really interesting, I found some great pictures of palestine youths using slings against the israeli army - really surreal!
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

The sling is well-rendered, but if I didn't know what a Footpad was, I'd think he was just twiddling string. It's really hard to tell what it is, with his hand covering some of the most important detail.
kitty

Post by kitty »

A-Red wrote:The sling is well-rendered, but if I didn't know what a Footpad was, I'd think he was just twiddling string. It's really hard to tell what it is, with his hand covering some of the most important detail.
Hmm, slings are not much more than strings... and you can even see the central part in the spare one he has wrapped around his head ;) But seriously, he will be seen in context, I don't worry much about that. But thanks for your input anyways! :)
JLS

Post by JLS »

I love the variety that you put into your portraits, and how realistically the many different types of people are portrayed! For instance, the Footpad sprite has reddish hair, and on that you come up with two wonderfully realistic red haired individuals—if you know what I mean. It makes it much more interesting and true to life than characters that are all brunettes, for instance. Fantastic!

If I'm supposed to critique as well, I guess I would agree that the male Footpad's arms might need more of a perception of depth. Shouldn't be hard to fix, though. :)
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

kitty wrote:
A-Red wrote:The sling is well-rendered, but if I didn't know what a Footpad was, I'd think he was just twiddling string. It's really hard to tell what it is, with his hand covering some of the most important detail.
Hmm, slings are not much more than strings... and you can even see the central part in the spare one he has wrapped around his head ;) But seriously, he will be seen in context, I don't worry much about that. But thanks for your input anyways! :)
Oh, I didn't even catch the one on his head. Haha, that's perfect!
kitty

Post by kitty »

Update time: complete redraw of his right arm. I consider him finished now if nobody else has serious complaints.

JLS: Thanks for the compliments! :) And I hope the arm is better now.
A-Red: Little details like that make the whole job worthwhile :P
Attachments
footpad02.png
footpad02.png (156.27 KiB) Viewed 4159 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

That works =)

Maybe making the stone in the sling a little more visible might help, too - having it poking out the top of his fist? Otherwise, to the uneducated user, the 'twisted string' thing might be prominent.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
JLS

Post by JLS »

That was fast. :shock: I like the redraw—the pose looks very natural now.

I was wondering what that was on top of the string around his head... very clever. :P

Looks done to me!
SouthernOracle

Post by SouthernOracle »

It's not that big of a deal, but the newly modeled hand's first finger has the outline going through the knuckle. Perhaps this was to show separation, for it is raised from the other fingers. Yet this still makes it feel newly sketched IMO. Like I said, smallest of nitpicks, but blending the knuckles across might look best because your shadows already do the job. :hmm:
Gauteamus
Translator

Post by Gauteamus »

Looks quite abit like Michelangelo's David.
Did you do that on purpose? His right arm looks much better now.
(Except your footpad looks more like he's resting his weight on his left foot, while David is clearly resting on his right - too bad your character is waist cropped :-)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Awesome work. :D

FWIW, carrying on a discussion in another thread, this is exactly what I envisioned the hair as being like (maybe a bit longer*, but exactly that sort of texture/unkemptness). I think it looks perfect.

* I think the length is unimportant; I simply happened to visualize him as having longer hair. I don't think it would make the drawing better to lengthen it, so I'm not implying that I want you to. It wouldn't be an improvement; just a change.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
kitty

Post by kitty »

Fin version of the foodpad, only minimal modifications. Please commit.

tsi: A bit more of the stone is visible now, but honestly, if one doesn't know what a sling looks like I doubt this is more readable than the previous version.
JLS: thanks!
SouthernOracle: I changed the line on your suggestion.
Gauteamus: That's funny, I didn't see it before you posted, but there is some strange similarity going on. Dunno, my art history subconscious must have kicked in...
Jetryl: Thanks! I thought about longer hair for a while but somehow it turned out to similar to the thief's one.
Attachments
footpad02_bg.png
footpad02_bg.png (44.66 KiB) Viewed 4103 times
footpad02.png
footpad02.png (158.53 KiB) Viewed 4140 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Looks good. As usual, I'll commit in the morning, assuming noone spots and errors in between.