Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Drakefriend

Re: Khalifate facelift: Redux

Post by Drakefriend »

So... the second-from-top line is the Prince line? :P
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

No I am thinking of a design similar to EoM's summoners for the prince fork.

The two on the second line are candidates for the Monawish. Not sure which one of them to pick... *shrug* they could be changed to any unit at this point.
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

Sleepwalker wrote:No I am thinking of a design similar to EoM's summoners for the prince fork.

The two on the second line are candidates for the Monawish. Not sure which one of them to pick... *shrug* they could be changed to any unit at this point.
Well... it was only a joke on the Prince of Persia franchise, as he reminded me of the protaagonists of Sands of Time, and I know it is a Monawish. Of course, the Prince would fit quite well as an Middle Eastern skirmisher...

Non the less: So there is going to be a prince fork. Can you please give us information on these princes, such as the line they come from?
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Ah ok, I thought you meant the line leading to "Khalid". Which I thought was a kind of leader, as the name is similar to Caliph. Looking it up I see I am wrong though. :roll: It means immortal. I need to do some more thinking about this.

I think I will apply more "prince of persia" to the Mighwar. :P
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Sweet work as usual. Originally, I wasn't so sure about the skin variations simply because they blended in with the accessories and were slightly harder to read, but they look a lot better now. :)
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

Sleepwalker wrote:
homunculus wrote:The magenta thing the rider is holding (called 'reins', I guess), is curved in such way near the hand, that it looks stiff.
If that was not the intention, a more flexible band would assume the main curve much closer to the hand.
As the head of the wyvern is roughly at the same elevation as the hand I don't see why the reins should be as you describe...
I was describing something different, nothing to do with the relative heights of the head and the hand.
By stiff I meant that it feels like a rubber hose bent into a circle and, elastic as such thing is, it has the curve left and right near the hand rather than just hanging downwards according to the main curve.
Attachments
file.gif
file.gif (3.09 KiB) Viewed 9396 times
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Aha that's the curve you mean... I thought you were saying the bottom curve made by gravity would be closer to the hand, which it would be if the wyverns head was higher up. Admittedly that has nothing to do with material stiffness.

Thanks for clearing it up, yeah the reins would benefit from looking less stiff. I'll change it for next update.
- Nercy Masayon
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

A small update with edits to most units. Some unfinished stuff.

I was thinking of giving the naffat line a sling with naphtha grenades instead for fire arrows for a ranged attack... I like that idea more.
Attachments
khalifateRedux5.png
khalifateRedux5.png (61.13 KiB) Viewed 9284 times
- Nercy Masayon
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

the units look awesome!
i can't tell, are any of them female? it might be interesting to have some advantage to being female such as lower size/weight and mannerisms making a unit eligible to ride a wyvern (vs some other advancement for males).
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

I think I see a female-variant-in-the-works for the archer line, but I that looks like the only one. Also, that sling idea sounds wicked.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Sleepwalker wrote:...
I was thinking of giving the naffat line a sling with naphtha grenades instead for fire arrows for a ranged attack... I like that idea more.
Yeah, sounds good to me.

When you come to redo the mounted units, I have a request.
I guess that the Khalifate people are experts in horse breeding.

Thus they might use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft_horse for the heavier armed and armored lines but
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warmblood for the mounted archers.

Would be nice if the different horse breedings could be visually distinct.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

The one unit in the line with the white head wraps looks like he is wearing a dustmask, that was my first impression. These are coming along great though!
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Sleepwalker wrote:I was thinking of giving the naffat line a sling with naphtha grenades instead for fire arrows for a ranged attack... I like that idea more.
I like it, too. In fact, it would even be historically accurate. Middle Eastern armies in the Middle Ages really did use grenades:

http://www.collector-antiquities.com/18 ... 86&pcat=99
The Black Sword

Post by The Black Sword »

Hi, some really nice art in here.

At the moment I'm looking at running a tournament with the Khalifate combined with alternate era: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=38343. Part of the aim with alternate era is to give extra leaders to the default factions so they're all roughly on the same power level, so I'm looking at creating 3 new lvl 2.5 units to serve as khalifate leaders for the tournament. Could I use some of your sprites here for these leaders?

At the moment I'm thinking the Wyvern, the guy with the spear beside him and the assassin at the end, though I still have to come up with some stats. I don't know how well these stuff fit with the khalifate background, which I'd be interested in following long term, but given the short notice in putting the leaders together I'm just looking for some really nice sprites and that Wyvern really deserves some game time :D .
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Sure use them for any unit you like, though the ones you are suggesting are not really fit for a leader role. Sure there's not anything else to choose from here right now, but I do have some other units I want to do that might fit the leader position better once I take the time to produce it...

Thanks fabi, sure I will do as you suggest. :)

Yup I have some female variants in mind, the archer being one of them.
- Nercy Masayon