Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Deciduous trees

Post by zookeeper »

The sparse variations Darker_Dreams posted are fine, and I'll be making at least two of those for the mixed forests myself. So consider the sparse variations as being covered for now.
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

replaced the previous transitions.zip file with a new one that has s/sw/se as well.

I haven't taken a look at the n tile yet. I'm also not sure what to do with the "small" one.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Jetryl actually just started working on revising at least the summer and fall tiles rather completely, so I suggest we'll wait a moment until he's finished with that to spare unnecessary efforts.
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

ah, ok, I missed that memo.
blob

Post by blob »

I think that the deciduous trees are a good idea, especially with the season variations planned, but there are two things that currently look odd to me.

1) The trees have a somewhat flat look to them, as if they were a front-on picture that is skewed vertically. In particular, the tree marked in the attachment has this look.

2) From what I have understood so far, the tiles depicted should represent a forest. To me, it looks more like an orchard. The underlying savanna texture is what makes the tile unbelievable as a forest. Do a quick Google Image search for orchard and forest. With an orchard, the ground is most often grass-like (example), while with a forest, it should be more bewildered (example) and have patches of brown soil (example) in locations.
Attachments
flattree.png
flattree.png (62.87 KiB) Viewed 2496 times
The Cost Of Living (1.8): main thread, feedback thread