Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
beetlenaut
Developer

Deciduous trees

Post by beetlenaut »

I decided to try my hand at some deciduous trees to add some variety to the forests. Any thoughts?
Attachments
deciduous-tree-test.png
deciduous-tree-test.png (19.82 KiB) Viewed 5654 times
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Deciduous trees

Post by thespaceinvader »

Looks pretty good. The autumnal version is very nice =)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Cernunnos
Art Contributor

Post by Cernunnos »

Hi,

Really nice and moreover, better than mine :D

I PMed you about what we should do about trees, if you want us to continue both on it, cooperate or compete :twisted: , lol, no seriously i would be thankful if you could tell me what you plan to do.
Since i'm busy with homework right now and since my first tree is quite not as good as yours, well if you want to go for it i don't see no problem, on the other way, if you want me to cooperate and make that a common project i'm also ok,
Well i said all this on pm, and we should continue this discussion on pm or irc...imo

So, about your tree, the winter version is excellent, as its shadow!! 8)

For the "summer version" i'm quite not sure if it's contrasted enough and seems to get lost in the grass behind but, well, i don't know...

Well, this said i find your work excellent, tell me for what you plan about this, that i know if i continue about trees or not...

Thanks, bye!

little edit... :wink:
Last edited by Cernunnos on January 22nd, 2009, 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"While portrait art may be where Wesnoth gets its glamour, and sprite art may be where Wesnoth gets its zest, it's the terrain art that's so crucial to Wesnoth's polish - it's the canvas that the rest goes on." Sangel
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Very nice beetlenaut, I have to go along with TSI, the fallen leaves are a nice touch. I agree with Cernunnos that the spring/summer one gets slightly lost in the grass, but I guess this depends on how this trees will be placed.

Are you thinking of offering both the tree by itself and a forested version(even if not as thick as the current one)? Then it will end up just like the current forest, which makes the trees sound out despite their color by sheer number.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Cernunnos wrote:Really nice and moreover, better than mine
Well, I was listening to music while I drew.
Cernunnos wrote:seriously i would be thankful if you could tell me what you plan to do.
Keep going if you want--variety is good. However, I can handle the trees. You might want to work on one of the other projects that requires a better artist than me.
Turuk wrote:the spring/summer one gets slightly lost in the grass
I know, but it's hard to fix without making the tree look like it has neon leaves. The actual color of leaves is pretty close to the savanna background. I did manage to bump it up a bit, but that's as far as I can go I think. I saturated the autumn leaves a bit more as well. I also redrew the shadows to match those on the other trees:
Slight tweaks.
Slight tweaks.
deciduous-tree-test.png (24.25 KiB) Viewed 5395 times
I do plan to make some forest tiles for each season eventually. It won't be right away, because I have to take a break for a while and do work that I get paid for. There is no reason they can't be single items as well, so here's a zip file of all three that can go in the items or scenery folder. Designers can put it on any terrain they want, and they can worry about the contrast.
Attachments
tree-deciduous.zip
(8.09 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

beetlenaut wrote:I know, but it's hard to fix without making the tree look like it has neon leaves. The actual color of leaves is pretty close to the savanna background. I did manage to bump it up a bit, but that's as far as I can go I think. I saturated the autumn leaves a bit more as well. I also redrew the shadows to match those on the other trees:
That's what I figured, so that's why I mentioned that once they are put into a forest together they will probably stand out fine against the background based on sheer numbers. Especially given that the green now is so bright compared to the grass.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I really want to encourage this. These would be a most excellent addition. Try to do a *little* more shading of the "crown" - the crown shouldn't be a flat color. But in terms of shape, you have these *nailed*. :D
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Thanks Jetryl.

I should have time to work on them more next week. Should we have tiles of just leafy trees, or should we have mixed tiles, or both? Once I have a few more trees, I guess it wouldn't be too much more trouble to do all of the possible variations.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

I'd go with both, myself =)
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

I lust for new terrain aliases.

Nice work. 8)
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

In freeciv we have deciduous trees in the amplio set. It's style is a bit different, more iconic. Might be useful as inspiration anyway.
Attachments
trees.png
trees.png (4.3 KiB) Viewed 5136 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Aren't the shadows on those...diametrically opposite where they should be to match the rest of the terrain?
o_O
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

thespaceinvader wrote:Aren't the shadows on those...diametrically opposite where they should be to match the rest of the terrain?
o_O
As I wrote those are from Freeciv. I thought it was obvious I meant them as an example to inspire, not that they where meant for inclusion into Wesnoth.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Ah my mistake, sorry.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Progress.

I now have some alders, a poplar, an old oak, and another maple. (At least, that's what I was thinking when I drew them.) I tried to model the shapes of the trees a little better too. Let me know what you think. I plan to start putting together some new forest tiles pretty soon, now that I have enough trees. I will do some snow-covered variations of these at some point.
Attachments
deciduous-trees-test.png
deciduous-trees-test.png (83.96 KiB) Viewed 4673 times
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide