Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Cernunnos
Art Contributor

Re: Dragon sprite

Post by Cernunnos »

Hi,

Excellent! just to say that the horns make the contrast i was talking about for the head, while the separation between the head and the neck makes it even better.

Well, for the size i'm not competent... but if what turin says is true, then you should watch for the original not to be compromising the attack anim since in this case the sprite is even larger...

Really excellent work so far!
Good luck!!
"While portrait art may be where Wesnoth gets its glamour, and sprite art may be where Wesnoth gets its zest, it's the terrain art that's so crucial to Wesnoth's polish - it's the canvas that the rest goes on." Sangel
pixelmind
Art Contributor

Post by pixelmind »

Tried to scale him down without losing to much detail.
I went for a 90x90 version.

Ingame Screenshot:

The animation will be max. 130x130 ( tried this ingame and it seems to work, hopefully :) )
Cernunnos
Art Contributor

Post by Cernunnos »

Sorry for not matching the comments and critiques guidelines, but well, this is simply excellent, can't find no problem, good anti aliasing, the texture is awesome, the colors are great, the size is good in my opinion, well, simply excellent, nothing to say.
Can't wait for the animated parts of it.

Great work, good luck!

[edit: ahah i found something, if you go with your last version of the flying one, then the color of the left wing of this one is not appropriate =P (if i understand the way it is drawn)]
"While portrait art may be where Wesnoth gets its glamour, and sprite art may be where Wesnoth gets its zest, it's the terrain art that's so crucial to Wesnoth's polish - it's the canvas that the rest goes on." Sangel
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Wooow, it's so cool like that. :D
And hmm, I think the tail is the greatest part in it, for some reason. Maybe because it's so... curved. :lol:
I love it.
Check out my sprites!
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

Hey all

Animation Engine guy speaking here, so I am authoritative about what can be done wrt multi-hex drawings...

there are no limitation as far as Drawing is concerned, but the unit will only be in a single hex from a game logic point of view

you are not limited to a single hex

you are not limited to the surounding hex either

it can be as large as you want

and this is true for ALL images, including but not limited to the main standing frame.

ok, that was for the drawing engine. Now let's be honest. Since the game engine can only handle single hex units, you don't want to overlap too much the neighbouring hexes. the 90x90 you used looks fine for a huge unit like the red dragon, but the current rule of "unit should fit in hex" should stay the limit for all other units...

something else to remember, is that you can "cheat" by lowering the unit in its own hex to gain a little space...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

I'm still a fan of the ginormous one. Without the hexes drawn in or other comparison units in all the surrounding hexes I might be missing something in that judgment. It would be interesting and amusing to see all three on hexes, side by side with each other and some normal units.

I do have to say; the original size looked both complete and polished- it'd be a shame for it not to be used as a lower-level (baby) dragon somewhere...
pixelmind
Art Contributor

Post by pixelmind »

Cernunnos wrote: [edit: ahah i found something, if you go with your last version of the flying one, then the color of the left wing of this one is not appropriate =P (if i understand the way it is drawn)]
You've got me there. :) I painted over the old one and forgot to change the wing color.

Here is some size comparison:
I think the 90x90 fits best. The attack animation of the huge one would cover the whole enemy unit :P
mmmhh..... maybe even the mid-size dragon can cause that problem with the current animation.
Attachments
comparison.jpg
comparison.jpg (126.1 KiB) Viewed 5219 times
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

pixelmind wrote:I think the 90x90 fits best. The attack animation of the huge one would cover the whole enemy unit
Agreed, the one on the right is much too small while the one on the left is in the process of hiding units, especially if there was a unit where his head currently is. Though it is not like it would be used a great deal, and it does convey the impression of massive size.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

are these in-game screenshots, or did you edit your dragon in there ?
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I like the 90x90 one. It's big enough to be terrifying without blocking your view of the units around it.

And btw, this thing is awesome.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
pixelmind
Art Contributor

Post by pixelmind »

Boucman wrote:are these in-game screenshots, or did you edit your dragon in there ?
yes these are in-game screenshots. Just changed the sprites of existing units to test them.
Kess

Post by Kess »

A sweet, little dragon. :D

Though I noticed a detail that looks quite silly with the largest dragon---at least when you notice it; the “selection circle” looks so tiny...
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Kess wrote:A sweet, little dragon. :D

Though I noticed a detail that looks quite silly with the largest dragon---at least when you notice it; the “selection circle” looks so tiny...
Units can be given custom elipses; for units this large, that's probably a good idea.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Both the larger sizes look good--I love the huge one, but agree that the 90x90 meshes better ^_^
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

Yes, the 90x90 meshes better.

But god, the looks on players faces the first time that huge one shows up on screen... I have to admit that I'm in lust and would totally love to see the dragon become an advancement chain with these.

By the by, pixelmind, I'm completely in awe of your spriting prowess for these.