Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Mermaid initiate portrait

Post by beetlenaut »

Are you going to continue making merfolk? I would love to put a bunch of new portraits in my campaign.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet, so I'll ask: are you familiar with the size and background requirements for mainline portraits?
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

thespaceinvader wrote:I don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet, so I'll ask: are you familiar with the size and background requirements for mainline portraits?
just in case you are not:
we need two versions of every portrait: one 205*205 px on black backgound (for use in the help) and one big version 400*400 on transparent backgound (for use in the dialogues). resolution 72dpi for both.

for the transparent version i just hope you did all your little waterdrops on their own layer and not directly on your black background...
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

resolution 72dpi for both.
Just curious, what is this requirement for? The images will appear in every user's own screen resolution anyway. :?
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
kitty

Post by kitty »

ist just to keep things definite - if somebody saves the pic 400*400px at 75dpi it would come out 417*417px at 72 dpi etc. you have to define all variables that are changeable. does that make sense?
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Beetlenaut: Maybe, I don't feel like making another portrait right now though. This one took way too long time for me to do :annoyed: . I'm going to focus on sprites for awhile now first hand, but who knows. :)

thespaceinvader, kitty: I thought I was familiar with it, believed it was x405 and x200 :roll: . I guess dpi is the same as pixels/inch?

All the things you pointed out have been addressed now I think. I made these super detailed water drops now on her body but you can hardly see them at this resolution :roll: . Unless the water splash is still too big I think it's ready...
I hope. :)

EDIT: Only posted one pic...
Attachments
mermaid_initiate2.png
mermaid_initiate2.png (67.09 KiB) Viewed 4583 times
mermaid_initiate1.png
mermaid_initiate1.png (221.96 KiB) Viewed 4589 times
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Looks fine to me, but we'll have to wait for the boss to approve it =)

Can't wait to see what you make of the rest of the merfolk, assuming you plan to work on them =)
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

<technical drift>
ist just to keep things definite - if somebody saves the pic 400*400px at 75dpi it would come out 417*417px at 72 dpi etc. you have to define all variables that are changeable. does that make sense?
Not really, because the images are saved in PNG, and in it the resolution can be left undefined, in which case one image pixel is assumed to have the physical size of one screen pixel. It only makes sense to define the resolution if the images are meant to always have certain physical size on the screen, that is, the small ones are supposed to be rendered as 72 mm X 72 mm and the big ones as 141 mm X 141 mm.

Actually, if the image resolution is defined (and the Wesnoth renderer takes advantage of it), all the users whose screen resolution is different from 72 dpi would have the images rescaled and fuzzy.

</ technical drift>
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

I'm committing this, in order to sneak it into the 1.5.9 release. Any further updates can be added after release.
Last edited by Iris on February 1st, 2009, 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Corrected version number.
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Thanks. :D
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
kitty

Post by kitty »

your latest edits really made her shine! :D
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

I'd just like to join the general chorus of praise - the Initiate looks fantastic. I love the textures and lighting you've used for the seaweed; it looks very seaweed-ish, without seeming impractical as a clothing material. All in all, a polished piece.

I'd love to see more Merfolk in the same style, if you're willing to work on them. You could take kitty's approach and use the same portrait for both L2 and L3; that way it'd sum to 8 portraits (2 fighter line, 3 initiate line, 3 hunter line). But I won't put a gun to your head. :D
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

We need to wait for Jetryl to finish the overhaul of the other merfolk units...
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

I thought that the base frames were pretty much finalised, apart from the hunter line - the fighter line is probably fair game at this point.
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Re: Mermen: Fighter Portrait

Post by Sleepwalker »

Alright, so I felt like taking up the mermen again :) . So here goes the fighter; some of the line work isn't completely done yet but almost.

So what do you think?

EDIT: Used bad size reduction setting.
Attachments
merman_fighter.png
- Nercy Masayon