Kitty's random stuff: The South Guard

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Tet

Re: Kitty's random stuff: Liberty

Post by Tet »

Ethiel-Mad has a good pose in my opinion. The wings are not fitting. The big wing should be left side and the small on the right side. I would just use the mirror function on the wings in the Ethiel-Mad version.

I am curious about the flipped little flags at the horse, but I am sure they will be cool with shading.

Deoran-Sad: I would prefer to see a very whinning face. Very intense and frontal. In the portrait he is hiding his face. It looks more like desperate or hopless to me. So I am not sure if this could be included in a shading-fix.

I would prefer to keep the wingless versions of Ethiel.
My Temple Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29800
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Tet wrote:In the portrait he is hiding his face. It looks more like desperate or hopless to me.
It looks solemn and appropriate for a member of the military to me.

Haven't you been told to stop suggesting the usage of dumb automated tools (referring to the mirroring part here) on mainline art before, btw?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Looking again, mad deoran has kind of a goldfishy air to him. I'd prefer to see him with more of this sort of mouth. Similarly, glad's smile scares me just a little. Maybe because it goes down, rather than up, at the edges of the mouth. Making the top lip curve up a little more would help.

I think we do need a wingless version of the Ethiliel portrait, though - if you meet her on a version other than easy, she's a Druid not a Shyde.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

Thanks for all your comments!

Here are some revisions to a couple of them: new wings for Ethiliel (who will also get wing-less variants), an older face for Gerrick, a new mouth for mad Deoran and a new head for Hylas (who wasn't criticized from your side but felt too stiff and statuesque to me). Plus new lines for both versions of Urza Aflas.

zookeeper: Thanks for the info on the Liberty commits, I'm in no hurry - I was just curious. Regarding the TSG portraits: Does Gerrick feel old enough now to you? And your helmet-earphone-association really made me laugh. I actually modeled the helmet after polish winged hussar helmets (link), I want to try to keep the shape for now and hope to get rid of your impression when they are metallic and visibly convex. If that doesn't work I still can try something else.

johndh: Hmm. I'm not really willing to change mad Ethiliel's pose, mainly because only changing one arm's position is far less work than a completely new body... I hope the new wing position clears stuff up.

golden_soldier: Thank you for your insightful comment :roll:

tet: Your remark about Ethiliel's wing position was spot on! But as was already noted, simple mirroring doesn't do the trick in such cases... But re-drawing a single wing isn't so bad ;)
Attachments
urza_alf1.png
urza_alf1.png (101.61 KiB) Viewed 7223 times
urza_alf-masked1.png
urza_alf-masked1.png (103.16 KiB) Viewed 7223 times
hylas2.png
hylas2.png (146.55 KiB) Viewed 7223 times
Deoran-mad2.png
Deoran-mad2.png (156.32 KiB) Viewed 7223 times
gerrick2.png
gerrick2.png (129.95 KiB) Viewed 7223 times
ethiliel-mad2.png
ethiliel-mad2.png (259.41 KiB) Viewed 7223 times
LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: Kitty's random stuff: The South Guard

Post by LordBob »

These are some amazing designs ! 8)

Just for a quick comment though :

- I'd review the leg position of glad and sad Deoran : the way his knee is placed makees for an almost horizontal thigh, which I don't think is very confortable when riding a horse. I think a lower knee such as mad Deoran's would fit better

- The folds of the sleeve for mad Ethiliel's (our) right hand don't fit with the position of the arm, plus the bending of the wrist looks painful. I suggest changing the entire forearm and/or folds.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Yes, Gerrick's face is much better now, as is Hylas. Urza looks ok too, so not much to comment on this time.

The only thing I'd really prefer changed in the whole set is Gerrick's uninspiring pose. Also the image just looks unbalanced to me. I guess it's the fact that both the shield and the two plates of armour hanging from his hip are on the right side of the image, leaving the left side very empty. :hmm: Also I find it hard to figure out his lower body. This is more or less how I read the outlines of his lower body until I really start looking carefully:
Attachments
gerrick-hips.jpg
gerrick-hips.jpg (18.47 KiB) Viewed 7172 times
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I'd give little space between Deoran's hand and face. Being two separate focal points, I think the composition would work better if they were not clumped so close together.

I agree with LordBob about Ethiliel's fist hand. The gesture would look more forceful with a straight wrist.

Am I the only one who saw Urza's club and bag initially as a guitar. The guy even looks like a rock star! :P
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
em3

Post by em3 »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:Am I the only one who saw Urza's club and bag initially as a guitar. The guy even looks like a rock star! :P
Exactly... I was like "Oh, a bard... wait a minute...".
ride on shooting star
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:Am I the only one who saw Urza's club and bag initially as a guitar.
Not until you said that.... but now I can't un-see it. :augh:
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

em3 wrote:
Sgt. Groovy wrote:Am I the only one who saw Urza's club and bag initially as a guitar. The guy even looks like a rock star! :P
Exactly... I was like "Oh, a bard... wait a minute...".
So was I.

Also, I think Deoran-mad2 kinda looks like he's pointing and laughing. I'm assuming this isn't supposed to be the case? Unless it's "mad" as in "insane", rather than "angry".
Bad_Dog

Post by Bad_Dog »

So are you going to do the art for Urza's Tower, Urza's Mine, and Urza's Power Plant, too? :mrgreen:
Tet

Post by Tet »

shadowmaster wrote:Haven't you been told to suggesting the usage of dumb automated tools (referring to the mirroring part here) on mainline art before, btw?
Nope, never been told. Read ther original sentence. I would use the mirror tool. I never expected Kitty to do it. We are not talking about finished (shaded) art here.

To show especially to shadowmaster my point. Here is the upper wing flipped and rotated by 20 degrees. The thing is intentinally crappy and done in 30 seconds. Flipping the whole wing would be only an option if Kitty would have the whole wing in a separate layer, which I doubt. For the records. I would never suggest any use of any tool to our skillfull artists. On the contrary I am greatfull for all the technical advice they giving me how to use GIMP instead.

Here especially for shadowmaster left wing big and right wing small. Using mirror to show my point. I fully understand that Kitty does neither needs or wants any demonstration of this. I hope she does not mind.
Attachments
for shadowmaster.png
for shadowmaster.png (293.67 KiB) Viewed 6396 times
My Temple Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29800
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

Oh my, it's been two months since my last post in this thread… Feels like forever since I painted something for wesnoth but I finally found some time to start finalizing the lines and starting to shade these guys. So here are neutral and mad Deoran. Again, I'm unfortunately not sure how quickly I'l be able to return to the rest of the South Guard's cast.
Attachments
Deoran-neutral2.png
Deoran-neutral2.png (256.38 KiB) Viewed 5977 times
Deoran-mad3.png
Deoran-mad3.png (237.68 KiB) Viewed 5977 times
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Nice work! I'm not much of an artist but I'd like to comment that I'm not really sure how his angry portrait would look when he says "Taste cold steel!" :?
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Pewskeepski wrote:Nice work! I'm not much of an artist but I'd like to comment that I'm not really sure how his angry portrait would look when he says "Taste cold steel!" :?
That line needs to die.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.