portraits for units.....

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
masaber2

portraits for units.....

Post by masaber2 »

ok, i have got item so called "open canvas 1.1" i heard it is ileagal as official site dont support it anymore, but they made it and they are ones who opened it for free so i chose to use it.

now i know previously i just said stuff and did no work. but this time, i have pretty much no game to play, and altho i wanted to go for unit creatin, thought of portraits first and seemed easy. (and i dont know how to make unit >_>)
i seriously try best to draw female but i just cant. so i am goin for males for now, females... ehhh...

for now, i just downloaded BfW due to PC memory loss from virus -_- so i cant tell wat units got atleast basic portraits. for wat i saw are

both missin
footpads- male gettin checked
vampire bat-
Elder mage (delfador...)-
orge-
young orge-
cuttle fish-
giant mud crawler-
orcish archer-
orchish crossbowman-
walking corpse-
revenant-
skeleton warrior-
skeleton archer-
bone shooter-
ghost-
wolf rider-
goblin knight-
goblin piliger-
rougue-
assassin-

female missing
theif-
Last edited by masaber2 on December 19th, 2008, 2:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Making random sprites.
masaber2

Re: portraits for units.....

Post by masaber2 »

ok, i heard developers sayin make it 800 x 800, but tat seems too big for me or so... i did 500 x 500.
(future pictures shall be posted here.)
ps. i wont color since it is open canvas 1.1 so there is no paint ability and microsoft paint do bad job. so i also look for person to color my sketch. if i had scanner, i might can draw better then mouse, (altho i own tablet -_-) so please dont criticize me of drawing levels.

foot pad M
i cant draw faces tat well, so i normally give them nice helmet, which footpads dont own zz
i cant draw faces tat well, so i normally give them nice helmet, which footpads dont own zz
Making random sprites.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

For coloring, download The GIMP. It's free, and generally handy (Also legal ;)).

You... Have a long way to go. Don't be discouraged--Learning to draw is extremely hard, and there's only one way to do it. That way is drawing from life. If there's an art museum near where you live, try going there with a sketchpad and drawing sculptures--Greek, Roman, and Egyptian are particularly good. Pre-industrial French ones are good too--Jean-Antoine Houdon is a good name to look out for. Don't try drawing Indian sculptures, they tend to have things like one arm longer than the other or hands that would reach down to the figure's lower thighs ;)
Another thing to keep in mind, as far as the philosophy of art is concerned, is that you're not learning to "draw" so much as learning to "see"--Your brain has all sorts of nifty features preinstalled to help it edit out anything that it deems unimportant (Such as foreheads), and it's your job as the prospective artist to see past all that.

Anyway, keep drawing, and you will eventually become better :)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I'll leave it to others to post helpful advice, since I'm tired and busy.

Skizzaltix gets an imaginary cookie for doing that.
masaber2 wrote: if i had scanner, i might can draw better then mouse, (altho i own tablet -_-) so please dont criticize me of drawing levels.
Unfortunately, we're gonna have to. The reason Wesnoth is a good-looking game, is because we're willing to be mean and turn down the stuff that doesn't look good. It's tough love, sometimes. :(

We really appreciate the effort, though. :)

Drawing is really hard, but if you believe in yourself, and spend years working really hard, you can learn to do some pretty amazing things. (Drill + heavens + etc.) Don't be discouraged - remember, Michael Jordan got cut from his high school basketball team. Imagine what would have been wasted if he'd given up on basketball, then and there.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!