Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
beetlenaut
Developer

New coastal reef terrain graphics

Post by beetlenaut »

I like the new "coastal reef" terrain type in development, however, the graphics don't really look like a reef. They look much more like the river ford they were intended to be. I attempted to do some more reef-like tiles. If you like the direction I'm going, I will do some more. Any comments or critiques?
reef-test.png
reef-test.png (14.12 KiB) Viewed 5901 times
It's an overlay, although I'm showing it here with the water background. I used a fuzzy brush to get the effect, but if it needs to have fewer colors to be clean enough, I can change that. (Also, why isn't it just "reef"? I might want to put it away from the coast.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Cernunnos
Art Contributor

Re: New coastal reef terrain graphics

Post by Cernunnos »

Hi,

Don't know the development one, is it possible to have a screen or a link to compare?

If i'm able to criticize, I would eventually say that it's too green (or teal maybe) but again i don't know the dev' one, so maybe that's the deal.
On the other hand i like your idea of things just grazing (eh eh i learn new words each day) the surface of water, that is looking good to me, plus the fact that you can't see under the water, so that's a little mysterious in some way.

By the way, can I ask why you are making it "cascade", it's to say, two tiles long?

So overall my critiques are: it's looking good, but green, but good =).
"While portrait art may be where Wesnoth gets its glamour, and sprite art may be where Wesnoth gets its zest, it's the terrain art that's so crucial to Wesnoth's polish - it's the canvas that the rest goes on." Sangel
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

It's supposed to be green. That's what a reef looks like from above. (Do a Google image search!) I did a two-tile version first because it was easier to make it look like I wanted. I would do several one-tile versions if any art developers are interested, as well as a couple more multi-tile images probably. (If the devs don't like the style, I won't waste my time.) Here is the current reef (on the left), with the current ford for comparison:
reef and ford.png
reef and ford.png (20.49 KiB) Viewed 5848 times
For those not using 1.5, the "coastal reef" is a little better than water for most units, but still worse than any kind of land. Water units take 2 points to go through it, but get 70% defense.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Rocket Slug

Post by Rocket Slug »

It looks very promising, though I wonder if the developers wanted it the way it is now so that it's not too subtle (not saying that yours is, though :) ). There's also a question of scale and what kind of terrain attributes it's going to have.

Either way, that looks really beautiful.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Rocket Slug wrote:It looks very promising, though I wonder if the developers wanted it the way it is now so that it's not too subtle (not saying that yours is, though :) ). There's also a question of scale and what kind of terrain attributes it's going to have.

Either way, that looks really beautiful.
Actually the current 'reef' image was originally supposed to replace the ford, so no.

I like it. Keep it up. :D
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

I like it a lot. One thing to keep in mind is that the water around (coral) reefs often does have that azure tint to it, so you might not need to change your current colour scheme at all.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Cernunnos
Art Contributor

Post by Cernunnos »

Forget what i said about the color then :D
So, nice job!

<off-topic>
And i actually did a search on google-images for "reef" but only found some calendar pics... =°
</off-topic>
"While portrait art may be where Wesnoth gets its glamour, and sprite art may be where Wesnoth gets its zest, it's the terrain art that's so crucial to Wesnoth's polish - it's the canvas that the rest goes on." Sangel
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

I think the kelp forest idea that has been brought up several times would be quite good. Probably utilising strong green colours to add variation to the water terrain. Anyway, that reef looks good. :)
My campaign, Elvish Legacy
My inventively named Era
ael193

Post by ael193 »

This is really good, wesnoth needs a bigger variety of water tiles.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Longbow wrote:Probably utilising strong green colours to add variation to the water terrain.
Hey, isn't that what I did? I'm glad people like them, but I'm kind of waiting for the opinion of someone with commit access.

I did do one more variation. It's at a slightly larger scale than the first one, so I plan to enlarge that one to match.
Attachments
reef2.png
reef2.png (8.5 KiB) Viewed 5278 times
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
KingdomAmericaCMG

Post by KingdomAmericaCMG »

I like the green. I'm always up for adding new types of terrain.
Last edited by KingdomAmericaCMG on December 8th, 2008, 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
esr
Retired Developer

Post by esr »

I have commit access, and I like it. But this sort of thing needs to go through an art wizard.