Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Cernunnos
Art Contributor

Oasis tile variation

Post by Cernunnos »

Hi,

Eleazar wrote (in the what do we need topic):
Desert Oasis:
The concept of the current Oasis is fine, but it should be done as a transparent overlay that can be placed over any sand terrain. Needs 2-4 variations. The size may vary somewhat, and be bigger than the current one.
So here is the old one :
And the variation i'm on :

I was trying to make some palm trees behind (in the curve) but that's really difficult, so this one is just a starting point and i'll do something in the curve to make the tile less empty. By the way, it's an overlay, the background is only here to have a reference for contrasts.

Critiques and ideas are welcome. Thx, bye.
"While portrait art may be where Wesnoth gets its glamour, and sprite art may be where Wesnoth gets its zest, it's the terrain art that's so crucial to Wesnoth's polish - it's the canvas that the rest goes on." Sangel
Quietus
Art Contributor

Re: Oasis tile variation

Post by Quietus »

^^

Otherwise a very nice varitaion. Well done :)
Attachments
edit.png
edit.png (10.57 KiB) Viewed 5229 times
Cernunnos
Art Contributor

Post by Cernunnos »

:annoyed: 15 minute variation, good job! :lol2:

Well, i didn't know if i was able to frankens-tile it, so maybe if it's good for you this way it can stay like this... up to you.

I'll try to make some more then...

Thx, see ya!
"While portrait art may be where Wesnoth gets its glamour, and sprite art may be where Wesnoth gets its zest, it's the terrain art that's so crucial to Wesnoth's polish - it's the canvas that the rest goes on." Sangel
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Cernunnos wrote::annoyed: 15 minute variation, good job! :lol2:

Well, i didn't know if i was able to frankens-tile it, so maybe if it's good for you this way it can stay like this... up to you.

I'll try to make some more then...

Thx, see ya!
Im not entirely sure myself, but im very impressed if what you created before was from scratch :shock:
Cernunnos
Art Contributor

Post by Cernunnos »

guess! :wink:
Attachments
oasis3.zip
(23.66 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
Cernunnos
Art Contributor

Post by Cernunnos »

Hi again,

I've add those palm trees and some grass, maybe too small for the trees... (let's say they're young :wink: )

The file is attached here as a transparent overlay. I tested it on many desert tiles and it seems quite ok to me.

(i'll transform the existing one and quietus variation as overlays soon)

Thx, see ya.
Attachments
oasisv1.png
oasisv1.png (6.89 KiB) Viewed 5147 times
Cernunnos
Art Contributor

Post by Cernunnos »

Quietus variation and original oasis as overlays, (in the zip)

they can seem a little dirty on just transparent background (and they are quite) but they looks good on any type of sand and i think it was the major point :

will try to make another one soon.

thx, bye.
Attachments
oasis.zip
(32.33 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
Cernunnos
Art Contributor

Post by Cernunnos »

Hi again,

a last one, a little bigger.

If you have comments that's the good time since for me they seem done, and i won't do other variations for now.
(unless you really need)

Thx, bye.
Attachments
another-oasis.png
another-oasis.png (9 KiB) Viewed 4978 times
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

You are too fast.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The lines in the latest one look a little straight. You could do with some ripples matching the contours of the pool's edge.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Cernunnos
Art Contributor

Post by Cernunnos »

Shadow Master wrote :
You are too fast.
Is this serious? If it is, can i have some explanations on what you want me to work on (all?), slower, and i'll do.

thespaceinvader wrote :
The lines in the latest one look a little straight.
maybe i should have gave it with an on-sand preview :

(since i feel that it's straight on transparent background but not this much with a background) but maybe it remains a little straight (with or without a background).
You could do with some ripples matching the contours of the pool's edge.
"ripples" means kind of waves? ok, i'll try that, seems good to enhance it. (i'm not sure about how... but i'll try)

Thanks a lot for your comments since i was doing this with no critiques until then, i'll try to improve then.
Maybe those critiques apply also to the existing and Quietus variations as overlays, i'll do them with more patience and application (as those if i understand what you mean) then.

Please tell if you have other comments since i think it can really be benefic in the end.

Thanks a lot, bye.

EDIT: just watching the last one, i think it's a little empty in fact, no?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Yeah, waves.

Possibly slightly bigger palm trees, too.

Honestly, i think the reson that you've recieved little critique is because there's really nothing much wrong with these. And I think that Shadow Master didn't mean 'slow down', he was just expressing his great surprise at how fast you're working.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

thespaceinvader wrote:Honestly, i think the reson that you've recieved little critique is because there's really nothing much wrong with these. And I think that Shadow Master didn't mean 'slow down', he was just expressing his great surprise at how fast you're working.
And that he could be a great help here if Jetryl approves his work.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Yeah, don't lack the lack of critique fool you. Usually people are more than willing to offer criticism, and the lack thereof is a sign that you are doing good work. And so quickly as well.

Not to mention, artists willing to contribute their free time and effort to the game are few and far between, so we appreciate the work.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Cernunnos
Art Contributor

Post by Cernunnos »

Hi,

thanks a lot,

i did some of the modifications you told me about the last one. Ripples, bigger palm tree, less straight in the borders.

it's linked there :
variation-overlay-3.png
variation-overlay-3.png (10.08 KiB) Viewed 4738 times
Anyway i can't seem to do good big palm trees... so that's the bigger you'll get for now...

Haven't modified the previous overlays as i don't know if it's necessary...

Thanks a lot, bye.