Working on the Ruffian.

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
AlexNixon

Re: Working on the Ruffian.

Post by AlexNixon »

Worked on right hand. Worked on defining face. New base for hair and pants. Click on the image it shows the detail better.
Attachments
nEWRuffian.PNG
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

Hand still too big. To give you an idea, if I put my whole hand on my face, it barely covers one cheek, and my hands are quite large, and my face about average.
AlexNixon

Post by AlexNixon »

Take perspective into consideration though. His hand is closer to the viewer than normal. I just took a photo of myself in the same pose... the perspective is very close. If you're talking about the left hand, I haven't worked on it yet, and yes it's too large.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

It might be a little late to mention, but it strikes me that for a level 0 unit, has has an absolutely massive club. Something a little more truncheon-like might be more appropriate. And I'm not quite sure what's going on with the collar-thing around his neck. it looks a little shapeless at present.

Are you planning on putting the coin back in? I really liked that little touch.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

The coin was a nice touch, added a bit of character and helped to emphasize the individuality of the portrait. You could leave the coin out, but it looks as if he is undecided whether to give the thumbs up or not.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
AlexNixon

Post by AlexNixon »

The coin is DEFINITELY going in the piece, and I agree about the club. I'll slim it down a bit. And I also agree the neck thingy definitely needs some line definition. I'll work on that today.