Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Mica

Re: Neorice's new drakes!

Post by Mica »

WELL TOO BAD.

TSI your effort is magnificent and we all appreciate it! Keep going!
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Longbow wrote: ...
''Tell ya what, if the ones I finished so far actually get animated like people claim they will; that'd motivate me to make the remaining base frames.''

Lazy bugger. Things only get done if you do them yourself. :mrgreen:
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

lol
My campaign, Elvish Legacy
My inventively named Era
Rex Umbrarum

Post by Rex Umbrarum »

:) I'm attempting (10000X more stress on attempting than space invader) the animation for the slasher. Expect epic and total failure.
vivantlingvaemortvae
Mica

Post by Mica »

Aw, it can't be that bad.
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

Rex Umbrarum wrote:Expect epic and total failure.
I look forward to it :)
The slasher and fighter are my favourites from Neo's lot, can't wait to see them get animated.
My inventively named Era
Drake General

Post by Drake General »

I personally think this is a bad idea. The changes look...really weird for some reason. :hmm:

possibly because it ruins how I view drakes. The drakes were my favorite race at one point, and I got used to them, and I think they could use an update, but these just seem like the wrong way to update them.
The giant claw/blade/wrist thingy look wrong for a drake. They remind me of a different game. (Final Fantasy anyone?)
I don't rock the world.
How can I rock the world if I don't understand all of it?
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Drake General wrote:I personally think this is a bad idea. The changes look...really weird for some reason. :hmm:

possibly because it ruins how I view drakes. The drakes were my favorite race at one point, and I got used to them, and I think they could use an update, but these just seem like the wrong way to update them.
The giant claw/blade/wrist thingy look wrong for a drake. They remind me of a different game. (Final Fantasy anyone?)
Well Jetryl likes it. Don't worry, once they get updated you'll get used to it.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

I'm just going to /sign my love of the new drakes to combat the people supporting the old ones, though by all means express your opinion.

I also completely understand if people don't have the time to do this, and Neo's desire not to animate them/do others if he doubts they will be used.
Rocket Slug

Post by Rocket Slug »

I remember when I first saw the new drakes that I didn't really like them. Somehow they lost their fierce, wild personas and became more cartoonish. But after a while, the art style has really grown on me. The sprites show much more character now, especially in their poses. Personally I think the wrist blades were a brilliant idea and a natural extension of the drakes' own brand of martial arts.

P.S. Oh, and spaceinvader, great job on animating the drakes so far! That fighter attack looks awesome!
ael193

Post by ael193 »

I really don't like the new drakes, the wrist blades especially don't seem right, nor does the green skin. the old ones could use updating, but it should be better quality, updated versions of the old ones, not complete replacements. the new ones look cartoony, like they're going in the opposite direction of the rest of wesnoth.
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

ael193 wrote:I really don't like the new drakes, the wrist blades especially don't seem right, nor does the green skin. the old ones could use updating, but it should be better quality, updated versions of the old ones, not complete replacements. the new ones look cartoony, like they're going in the opposite direction of the rest of wesnoth.
I agree 100% like I have said earlier, too...
Check out my sprites!
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

I disagree 200% :P
As they say, out with the old in with the (visually superior) new. :wink:

The drakes have remained the same since really early versions, left behind whilst other races received updates. As Neoriceisgood created both, he obviously prefers the new ones, and they have the Mighty Toad's approval so you are fighting a losing battle I'm afraid...
My inventively named Era
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

I have been around more than most of you and many time I have seen graphical upgrades I didn't like....

however, I'm no art director, Jetryl is.

and if Jet syas the new drakes are better (and he did) I've learned to trust his jugment.

you'll get used to the new drakes, and in a couple of month you'll be wondering how we could have stayed with the old ones for so long...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Boucman wrote:I have been around more than most of you and many time I have seen graphical upgrades I didn't like....

however, I'm no art director, Jetryl is.

and if Jet syas the new drakes are better (and he did) I've learned to trust his jugment.

you'll get used to the new drakes, and in a couple of month you'll be wondering how we could have stayed with the old ones for so long...
And coincidentally, I think neo's new drakes are a strong improvement over what we had before.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!