New unit: Elvish Rogue

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Ha Ha. :|

really, the one thing that is holding this unit back is the graphics - the idea is not bad, though not especially good.

It is proposed as a solution to this:
Elves need one recruitable unit that can do a good shot of either impact, or some magical damage. As EP said, there could also be a more resilient "ranged slow" attacker.

A possibly better way to do things would be:
I think the shaman could use a 1 or 2 point damage increase on her entangle attack. With a better chance of doing fatal damage, she could get more kills, and could be better defended when in battle.

Right now, the unit graphics for this thing need a lot of work. I would strongly suggest branching out into some things that have not been drawn, instead of cut and paste for clothing. You have essentially done so with the weaponry (perhaps not the sword), but the clothing needs to evolve on its own tangent. Level 1 could possibly look something like it does now, though I am not enamored of the look of level-1 elvish fighter/archers, but there is no way that levels two and three can look that gimpy.

I really don't like the look of the base level elvish fighter/archers.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Jetryl wrote:I really don't like the look of the base level elvish fighter/archers.
I do. The Fighter is way better than the Hero, IMO, and maybe even the Champion. All the Archer upgrades look better though.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Elvish_Pillager

Jetryl wrote:there is no way that levels two and three can look that gimpy.
Hey, take a look at the Avenger and the Marshal.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Jetryl wrote:there is no way that levels two and three can look that gimpy.
Hey, take a look at the Avenger and the Marshal.
Those guys look awesome. The biggest problem is that level 1 of each set looks like they are wearing spandex jumpsuits with funny elf boots.

Likewise, the marksmen line also has this problem, but wins points for the long heavy-metal hair.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

True on dat yo.
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

I don't really like the big boots or the jumsuit neither. A bit of shading could help making it look less tight. For the rogue/forester/waheteristhename I think it shouldd follow the same type of change than the thief and outlaws...darker and heavier clothes when leveling. Dark green should do great on this unit. Also the blade should be shorter at lower level and could be of a darker grey colorlike if it has been voluntary darkeen to be more discrete.
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
Elvish_Pillager

Christophe33 wrote:the blade should be shorter at lower level
It already is.
Bander

Post by Bander »

I would like to see a browwn cape and a more hunched over sneaky pose, like he's hunting... wabbits...