Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Portrait sketches

Post by Girgistian »

I'll be putting small version's of all my current and future (hopefully) mainline sketches here, just to gather them up a bit. They're here to be coloured and shaded by people cabable of doing it. Just tell me if you want to have a try with a certain sketch, and I'll pm the big-resolution version.

EDIT: also going to add more length to the deathblade's arms. Or completely redraw it. Someday.
Last edited by Girgistian on December 19th, 2008, 5:53 pm, edited 14 times in total.
For the dark gods!
cretin

Re: Undead portrait sketches

Post by cretin »

i thought the deathblade was fully colored?
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

tbh, no offence, i dont like your skeletons much - they look like some AWSUM UNDEAD KILLAZ, but imo sad/scary skeletons would fit more.

just my opinion :)
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

I did colour it, but it's not mainline quality. Or at least no one's mentioned if it's been added to the game, but concidering it's not in the game, I doubt it.

The original skeleton warrior sketch wasn't as flashy as these two. You have to note that these are not level 1 units. I'm planning to draw skeletons lower than level 2 more of the "scary" type, and those on or above it... well... Awsum undead killaz.
For the dark gods!
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

That Death Knight portrait is amazing! :D There's so much detail!
The Dknight is one of my favourite units and has an awesomely cool sprite, your portrait certainly does it justice. :mrgreen:
My campaign, Elvish Legacy
My inventively named Era
krotop
2009 Map Contest Winner

Post by krotop »

They are scary already.

Probably what Syntax_Error means is that he'd prefer their expression to reflect a mind broken as much as their physic were (something you illustrated brillantly in my humble, non-artist opinion).

Seeing your portraits, it looks like your skeletons are thinking "Yay! Back to unlife for more killing! I got shot down before my bloodthirst got satisfied, thanks to the guy who rose me up" while, if I understood correctly, Syn_Err would want a skeleton thinking "I saw my friends falling around me, I felt the supreme pain myself to finally have the eternal rest I deserved, and now I'm cursed to see the sillyness of war once again".

Oh well, maybe I interpreted too much and animated bones don't think so much, but your fault for making them so excellently expressive Girgistian :).
Don't trust me, I'm just average player.
Game feedback for the Nightmares of Meloen
Art feedback by mystic x the unknown
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Oh, come on! It's a deathblade! It's got 5 attacks! It's supposed to look manic. I'll probably redraw him anyway, but unless I receive enough oppression to change the expression, I'll let him keep that spirit.

As for the deathknight, I don't think it's that expressive... It just seems so because the image has been shrunk. He's not actually grinning. Really.

And thanks for both the compliments and the critic alike
For the dark gods!
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

krotop, thats not quite what i meant, but if i went discussing it further, it would be pretty much spamming the thread, ill drop it just in case :)
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Portrait sketches

Post by thespaceinvader »

The DK looks awesome. I'd maybe take out some of the more ostentatious touches, though, particularly the skinned faces on the shoulder pads. That aside, it looks great.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:eng: I like the general design of both of these.

:? /me still hasn't gotten around to coloring that skeleton portrait, but these things are a lower priority for me than doing sprites - at least, until the TC project is done.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
dontano

Post by dontano »

They're great, Girgistan! :wink:
Just keep up the good work.
Trust yourself first, then trust others.
Current activity/ies: what...!?
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I really like your deathknight. The designs on the axeblade and shoulder armor is a nice touch.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

That deathknight is awesome. I hope the inking does it justice.

- Chris
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Nice otherwise, but I find it to be a big problem with the deathknight, compositionwise, that the axe, which is a very conspicious part of the protrait, is completely "in the block," that is, parallel to the canvas. In otherwise very dynamic composition, this makes it look like the axe is detached from everything else. I would suggest turning the axehead so that it faces the viewer at an angle, and also trying to make apparent that the lower end of the shaft is closer.

ETA: To make myself clear, I think the axe should be rotated in the direction of the arrow, about 15 degrees:
Attachments
deathknight-axerot.png
deathknight-axerot.png (5.79 KiB) Viewed 12730 times
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Also I believe an axe like that would need a pretty large shaft. Imagine the embarrassment as the blood chilling death knights axe breaks wen it hits an enemies tough armor...Not so blood chilling with a stick in his hand.
Last edited by Mirion147 on September 8th, 2008, 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!