Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: Portrait sketches

Post by LordBob »

*whistles* Amazing ! Especially the fur. If you maintain this high a level of shading all the way, I won't even have to touch my pen tablet 8)

Not much to add to what's been said already, I'll just keep watching.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

I love the latest pose that you've picked for the wolf rider, Girgistian. Having him leaning against the wolf "humanises" him, hinting at a more meaningful relationship with his mount than could be conveyed if he were simply riding it and going "rar!"

I also like the shading you're doing - I see slight contrast issues, but with LordBob and kitty offering advice, I think you're well covered on expert critique. Keep up the great work! :D
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Puff! More contrast for the goblin, didn't touch the wolf yet. Thanks to all for critique and compliments alike, both make a great use for bringing the portrait closer to mainline quality and guaranteeing that the work actually goes on.

EDIT: Note that his right arm will cast a shadow over his jacket - I just haven't gotten to it yet, and the left armpit/pectoral area is missing a shadow, so those have already been noticed. I'll also adjust the overall contrast a bit once this is finished, or just tweak the rest of the contrast by painting it afterwards. Feel free to take the added highlights/shadows to the ground and verbally beat the [censored] out of them - they're all on a separate layer so they're easy to adjust.
Attachments
hukka.png
Last edited by Girgistian on February 20th, 2009, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For the dark gods!
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

The face seems to need more contrast. In my opinion. other then that it looks pretty good.
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

hmm, i think i alread said what i am going to say a couple of times, but here we go again :P :

your shading needs a more systematic and rough approach. right now the little details like the belt work well, but the general figure lacks volume. please try to ignore your precious details at this stage - do a very rough version just defining the formshadow. don't seperate the different materials, objects, layers of cloth etc. - paint over the whole figure, don't bother about folds and the like! then add the castshadows. then post what you have got (just like you did with the face) - if it works, introduce a further darker shade and a lighter shade. then start blending, detailing, texturizing, adding highlights and the whole fun part.

right now it looks as if you focused on the details instead of the figure as a whole. try imagineing it as a 3d object in space, bla, bla, bla.

and generally more contrast! have you tried what your goblin looks like in greyscale.....
cobra

Post by cobra »

Very nice work!! But the unit has a saddle of sorts on the back of the wolf. Mainly because they would ride for days and have to bring stuff with them. But besides that well done!
Thank you President Bush
Ask not what wesnoth can do for you, but what you can do for wesnoth.-cobra
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

But in this portrait, the goblin is relaxing. He probably took the saddle off.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

It'd probably be more like a blanket or something anyway, not a real saddle.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

and this kind of detail just doesn't matter anyways - it is clearly recognizable as the wolfrider :roll:
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Bleagh. I actually had this as an underlying layer, so I modified it a bit and here you are. I probably just messed up most of the speculars and highlights on the previous one. Also added the blanket, since it seemed like a good idea. It's on a separate layer as well, so it's easy to remove if required.

Edit: apparently not all profanities are sensored.
Attachments
hukka2.png
For the dark gods!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Girgistian wrote:apparently not all profanities are sensored.
PM me with what got through and I will add it to the list.

As to the wolf rider, I think the blanket works well. The holes and rough edges fit perfectly with the goblin mindset, as they would not take care of such an object and the wolf is as likely to bite at it as let it sit there.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
TL

Post by TL »

I thought the previous helm was pretty nicely done actually. If you gave everything the same range of contrast you'd be in good shape.
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Went a bit onward with it, and photoshopped the contrast +100%. I'll fix the wolf's texturing and try to polish the rest of the goblin after that. And after I've finished the polishing, all the messy spots and general filthiness shall be added. For the one's that don't know, you'll have to click it.
Attachments
hukka.png
For the dark gods!
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Much better, there's only one blaring issue that I see straight away, and that's the arm shadow.

Either: the shoulder pad should cast more of a shadow, and the arm's shadow should be going more vertically down the body

Or: the curve of the body needs to affect the arm's shadow more, it shouldn't go as far across the body, and there should be more of an obvious bend in it.
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Ranger M wrote:there's only one blaring issue that I see straight away, and that's the arm shadow.
True, I'll see to it if the others give even a vague thumbs up for the rest of the goblin.
For the dark gods!