Re: Portrait sketches

Post by Girgistian »

Of course I am, that's why post these things :eng:
For the dark gods!
Swift

Post by Swift »

Out of the blue:

I´ve been looking through all the art here, and I have to say you are very talented Girgistian! Keep up the good work!
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Well... I guess it did come out of the blue. Thx.

Mostly flat wolf rider. This is mostly an exercise, so if LordBob's still going to have a go with it, be my guest - I'll just try the shading stuff again while you're busy with your other portraits.
Attachments
hukka.png
For the dark gods!
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

this guy is just cute :D

his arms seem a bit stiff and of different length, you should check and fix that before shading.
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Thanks, the shading's already coming along surprisingly well. So his right one's too long?
For the dark gods!
kitty

Post by kitty »

it's your goblin anatomy... the right one is longer than the left one. but i personally like my goblins with long limbs. do as you like, just make them symmetrical! :eng:
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Goin' home for a couple of days, continuing work on saturday. Here's t3h shading so far. skin hasn't been dealt with yet, I'll leave it for the last thing to do so I won't give up on the rest of the project for it :P
Attachments
hukka.png
For the dark gods!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Looks good, but could stand more contrast, particularly brighter highlights.

Your shading's come on a great deal since last we saw it =)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

That helmet plume of his is ... magnificent. Brilliant touch :-)

kitty

Post by kitty »

the arm length is much better! his right arm still looks a bit stiff but perhaps shading can sort that out.

the systematic approach to the face looks really good! (but watch out that his skin colour doesn't come out too dark, no racial prejudices like orcs are the bad guys, the bad guys have dark skin - orcs have dark skin) generally your darks could be darker and lights lighter.
and the wolf's texture works well on the head but the rest of the body looks very scribbly, perhaps you could try a more painterly approach, you don't need to draw every single hair ;)
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Hmm. This looks a lot different with my home screen than with my apartment's screen. It seemed to have a good bunch more contrast and hue changes with the latter :hmm: I'll try to sort that out, it's pretty preliminary anyway. Thanks.
Simons Mith wrote:That helmet plume of his is ... magnificent. Brilliant touch :-)
Arr, it be ye helm of our scurvy ol' LorBob's loyalist sergeant.
kitty wrote:but watch out that his skin colour doesn't come out too dark, no racial prejudices!
that's going to be a problem, most likely, but as said, I'll leave the skin last.
kitty wrote:the wolf's texture works well on the head but the rest of the body looks very scribbly, perhaps you could try a more painterly approach, you don't need to draw every single hair ;)
Yes I do, it's a trademark :P
Really though, the fur's not completely finished, I was going to fiddle with it once I get back to work.
kitty wrote:the systematic approach to the face looks really good!
Huh?
For the dark gods!
TheJM

Post by TheJM »

Dark skin on a goblin has now suddenly become a racial issue? :annoyed:

Sorry, stuff like this bugs me.

Anyway, I was just popping in to say that I really like how this wolf rider is going. It is rather dark, but I'm sure you can fix it. One question: is that a sword underneath his right hand? I'm assuming it will be clearer once you finish the shading, but I'm curious.. :P
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

TheJM wrote:Dark skin on a goblin has now suddenly become a racial issue? :annoyed:

It is a comment regarding a discussion that the artists had in the past on how they wanted to portray orcs/goblins in order to not limit them to one skin color, but be able to give them a range of skin colors. It is not in fact a racial issue. It does not need to be touched on again.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

The skin's gonna be darker and less red than that of a human's, so it's still not gonna be just a short caucasian guy.

And yes, it's a sword, we have a winner!
For the dark gods!
TheJM

Post by TheJM »

Turuk wrote:
TheJM wrote:Dark skin on a goblin has now suddenly become a racial issue? :annoyed:

It is a comment regarding a discussion that the artists had in the past on how they wanted to portray orcs/goblins in order to not limit them to one skin color, but be able to give them a range of skin colors. It is not in fact a racial issue. It does not need to be touched on again.
Ah, gotcha. I apparently wasn't around for that one. :wink: