Corvvs' Thread of Ill-Fated Portraits: Merman Hunter

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Corvvs

Re: Gryphon Portrait: Lines Redux

Post by Corvvs »

Thanks for the feedback, but I've already reposed it once. :| I suppose I could again, if its really necessary.

However, its right leg and arm, and head are a bit awkward, once I fix them it might look better.
"we alone truly exist, ... the shadows we traverse are but projections of our own desires..."

Orbivm ||| The Thread of Ill-Fated Portraits
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

I've been a bit swamped in homework and am currently sick, but I managed another revision, as I do want to continue with this.

I:

-reposed the Head

-reposed the right arm (his right)

-reposed the right leg

I cannot see anything specific to improve as far as the lines, so I would like pointers, as I don't feel quite ready to start the flats and all again.
Attachments
gryphontemplate.png
"we alone truly exist, ... the shadows we traverse are but projections of our own desires..."

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Well, since no one else seems to have said anything, which truly puzzles me, I'll point out that the pose is really ackward, because of the front legs. Elbows tucked inwards while the paws/claws/whatever are reaching outwards? That's about an ackward pose as you can get, just try it yourself. The elbows should be on his sides, not in front of him.

Also, he's almost sitting. His behind doesn't touch the ground though, so it somewhat gives the impression that he's doing his business.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I'm using IE6 and your image appears as a solid black rectangle. So, I can't really comment on it. :hmm:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Sapient wrote:I'm using IE6 and your image appears as a solid black rectangle. So, I can't really comment on it. :hmm:
Get a browser not a joke. (Sorry couldn't hold myself back) :mrgreen:

Interesting the left leg somehow seems akward though.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

zookeeper wrote:Well, since no one else seems to have said anything, which truly puzzles me, I'll point out that the pose is really ackward, because of the front legs. Elbows tucked inwards while the paws/claws/whatever are reaching outwards? That's about an ackward pose as you can get, just try it yourself. The elbows should be on his sides, not in front of him.

Also, he's almost sitting. His behind doesn't touch the ground though, so it somewhat gives the impression that he's doing his business.
Ouch. I tried it, and his back must be broken. Definitely gonna fix that. Being home sick can be a good thing.
Sapient wrote:I'm using IE6 and your image appears as a solid black rectangle. So, I can't really comment on it. :hmm:
I don't know what I should do...It's just a big-ish .png. I kinda agree with Shadow, but I'll try .jpg for the next one (in addition to the .png) Maybe that will help.

AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Corvvs wrote:I don't know what I should do...It's just a big-ish .png. I kinda agree with Shadow, but I'll try .jpg for the next one (in addition to the .png) Maybe that will help.
NO!

JPEG doesn't support transparency and its lossy compression will quickly deteriorate crisp lines, meaning it's a Bad Idea for images like these.

(okay, so maybe I went a bit overboard ;))
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

*cringes* ok. BTW, AI, you're a dev now? congrats.

woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Ooooh! AI is developer! Congratulations! :D
(I just wanted to congrats him too.)
Check out my sprites!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Corvvs: to solve Sapient's issue, there's no need to use .jpg, simply use a non-transparent background for the .png instead - it's .png transparency that IE6 can't handle, not the .pngs themselves.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

Thanks TSI, here it is with a white background, and the pose modified slightly.
Attachments
gryphon.png

Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Not a bad attempt, but I think this pose is just too static. Normally we don't want an action pose for our portraits, but for a monster: yes. I can think of several poses which would better the fearsome nature of this flying beast. Also... where are the wings? The wings of the gryphon should be huge and the fact that you haven't even sketched a rough outline of them here suggests that you aren't thinking a lot about how you are going to place them. I'd also like to see larger eyes and a more predatory looking beak. The current beak here looks a little too friendly.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

Sapient wrote:Not a bad attempt, but I think this pose is just too static. Normally we don't want an action pose for our portraits, but for a monster: yes. I can think of several poses which would better the fearsome nature of this flying beast. Also... where are the wings? The wings of the gryphon should be huge and the fact that you haven't even sketched a rough outline of them here suggests that you aren't thinking a lot about how you are going to place them. I'd also like to see larger eyes and a more predatory looking beak. The current beak here looks a little too friendly.
By an action pose, do you mean a flying pose? An attacking pose? or just anything less static? I personally think this pose looks nice and threatening.

The wings are folded along his back. The only view would be a bit of the front of each. I used to have outlines showing where they were, but i lost them when i redid the feathers as Kitty suggested. Here's one from a few pages ago.

I wanted to emphasize that gryphons are lions too, and fast, strong ground beasts-hence the big muscular arms, stable pose (not perching), and big haunches.

I agree with what you say about the beak and eyes.

You raise a bunch of interesting points. I'll fool with it a bit, maybe try an action-posed sketch.
Attachments
file-1.png

Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

black box again
:|
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

:annoyed: I should have thought of that.
Attachments
file-3.png